Defensive Carry banner

Would you carry to a job interview?

6K views 60 replies 54 participants last post by  Sticks 
#1 ·
I have a job interview on Tuesday. Not the Federal Government, nuclear power plant, etc. Just a normal business. I have no idea what their weapons policy is. But, would you carry to the interview?

#33 ·
I would want to maximize the odds on getting the job and minimize any odds that are negative to getting it. I think that I would lock the pistol in the car until I had a sense of what the potential employer's policy was towards firearms on campus. It might be a real clusterbleep if you set off some kind of metal detector, I suspect.

#34 ·
Yes sir, concealed of course. If you see a sign saying "No Weapons/Guns" then you'll have to decide what's right to you. :wink:

#36 ·
I'm a little surprised at the responses here - I'm carrying. If you get that nervous during interviews, then there are other issues you need to deal with. The interviewer puts his pants on the same way you do every morning - nothing to be scared or worried about - show confidence. If there are signs posted, then that's another thing.

#38 ·
Not a situation I expect to be in any time soon, but...I have to with the 'it depends' answer, though I think the best comments so far have been the ones about whether it would make you nervous or not. This is not to suggest that any of us are so completely jumpy as to be a danger, but instead to say it this way---if you are worried enough about the potential employer finding out you are armed, it may distract you during the interview.

The guys (and gals :smile:) around here who are so accustomed to carrying that they literally don't give it a second thought, I don't see why they shouldn't carry in a situation like this. exactlymypoint, IIRC, you have only been carrying regularly for a few weeks now, right? Maybe the fact that you even started the thread suggests you are not yet at that point where you could put the potential distraction aside.

#51 ·
I agree.

To me, it would make me more uncomfortable to NOT have it than to have it, but that's me. There'd be this big empty hole on my hip where my gun should be and I'd be worrying about it sitting out there in the car (even though it would be in the COM safe) for anyone to try to take. I'd also be searching the table for things I could improvise as weapons if the SHTF.

I'd be far more uncomfortable without it.

I've done interviews while armed before. In fact, I did an interview where the question of "what are you carrying right now?" came up. Then we had a nice little chat about Colt Mustangs and how rare they are to find these days. It was one of my favorite interviews and I got the job. (Granted I also had my range bag and another case full of guns sitting next to me through the interview as well, but that's another story.)

But this is all due to the fact that I've been carrying for a while now and not only have I become comfortable with carrying, it has become a staple of my wardrobe. I put on my gun before I put on my wedding ring.

I have confidence in my clothing, my holsters and my method of carry so that I know there will be no "getting made" accidents.

If, however, I were not so confident in all of those things I, too, might reconsider carrying to a job interview.

In the end I don't believe it is what we (the members of DC) would do, but what YOU (exactlymypoint) will feel comfortable doing. If you would not feel comfortable and think that it may be a distraction, leave the gun at home or in the car.

If, on the other hand, you feel it is not a distraction and know you are not breaking any laws and feel you could confidently interview armed or not, then that is your call.

Either way, good luck at your interview! I hope this is the career opportunity you are looking for!

#39 ·
If you are planning to carry if you get the job no matter what their policies are I would definitely carry it. However if you plan to obey their policies even if it means not carrying then I would leave it in the car. It would be up to your intentions of whether you really want the job or not and are willing to follow their policies. The interview would be practice of being disarmed just in case.

#41 ·
I have carried to a job interview - I was interviewed for the position I now currently hold, and it is predominantly Obama supporting gun hating democrats. Concealed means concealed - I just don't understand why people are so worried about being "found out" at an interview. Interviewers are going to be looking for self confidence (Not someone being cocky), if you can carry with self confidence that you will not be discovered, and you are confident that you know your subject matter, don't worry about it.

FYI - after I was hired I learned their weapons policy - I don't carry there anymore :(

#43 ·
If you're applying for a "Chip & Dale's" position...I'd say NO...
Other than that...I would carry, IF...I felt comfortable with my CCW mode.

Stay armed...stay safe!

#44 · (Edited)
Do your homework. What is the philosophy of the company?
That being said, how important is it to you?
If you just have to carry on the job, make it clear in the interview.
There is more than one job in the universe, and I found that the jobs that I held that were in 'tune' with my philosophy of life tended to be the ones I stayed at.

#47 ·
I carried,...got the BEST job I've ever gotten by a long shot, WAY more money,..etc

Wearing a shirt//tie, hid my p3at quiet nicely,...first interview,...

Second interview--was with the owner not just the VP and manager,...the president/owner was proudly telling me about his Taurus Judge and remarked when I start working to leave my gun in the car *wink wink* (note: the vp is a friend of my fiancee,and knows I'm hardcore 2a)

#48 ·
would you carry to the interview?
I would, but I'm accustomed to carrying in situations that would be bad if I was outed. And I wouldn't be outed. I've carried around ex-LEO, very anti administrators, high-level inspectors, and I haven't been made. I would feel more uncomfortable if I wasn't carrying.

I don't get to choose the day and time that my firearm will be needed, so my pledge to my family is to be ready whenever that time comes.

Every act of random violence is unexpected. Every workplace murder is unexpected. Every Luby's shootout is unexpected. Every Virginia Tech massacre is unexpected. So if you expect nothing on the day of your interview, you are in exactly the same situation as others who have needed a gun, but didn't have one.

I'd do what I normally do: carry two if my clothing allowed it. I'm committed to coming home at the end of the day. I can find another job interview if it goes south.

#50 ·
As an employer I would tell you do not carry. Depending on the type of position you have applied for, you could be sized up from top to bottom. If I seen someone who I even thought was carrying to an interview, the interview would be over. Same as if they came in wearing jeans or flip flops. As an employer, I feel one needs to know what the company policy is before assuming. If it is a job that you would like to undertake, don't carry your firearm.

#58 ·
Do you think you landed a job? :wink:
Thanks for following through guys.

Just so you know, because my son is not recovering as quickly as we thought he would (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbull...es-discussions/40476-went-hospital-today.html) I rescheduled the interview for Feb 6.

The input was very valuable. I think I am going to carry to the interview as I am becoming much more comfortable doing this. Plus with all the close encounters happening to people on this forum, it just seems prudent.

#55 ·
How bad do you want the job? Unless I put it in the position description, I would not want an employee of mine carrying on the job. I wounldn't even consider hiring you as being too much of an insurance liability and two, the statement you just made.

Keep it in your vehicle and good luck.

#57 ·
Right on bro! Well done! :congrats:

Do you think you landed a job? :wink:

#59 ·
I have. Now, I didn't carry my XD 45 in my IWB holster. Too much of a chance of it accidentally showing. I carried my Glock 26 in my Nemesis pocket holster. Not visible, and mo chance that it could become visible. Of course, the day I went in for my drug test, I didn't realize that I would have to empty everything from my pants. So, I pull the XD 45 out and put it in the drawer, and then my Glock 26 from my pocket. Of course, as it was discussed in another thread a short time ago, they didn't care, they see things like that all of the time.

#61 ·
Murphy has a tendency to show up when you reallllllly would rather he didn't.

The position the OP is interviewing for may not be open yet, and the individual being replaced may choose that time to have an "Episode".

Walking down a sidewalk/out of an office building/across a parking lot in a nice suit may label you as a "Target" or payday.

Basically any reason we carry everyday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.