CCW Class Requirements Question

This is a discussion on CCW Class Requirements Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Michigan, the law requires classes to qualify for a Concealed Pistol License. NRA type instruction is common, but not universal. The program requires a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CCW Class Requirements Question

CCW Class Requirements Question

In Michigan, the law requires classes to qualify for a Concealed Pistol License. NRA type instruction is common, but not universal. The program requires a day in class and a second day doing live firing for proficiency evaluation.

The firing quals vary widely: I have friends who have gone to air conditioned indoor ranges and fired as few as 30 rounds. In my case, being in Northern MI, we were outdoors in an old stone quarry where we had to shoot 150 practice rounds, with a lot of attention to safety and the mechanics of good and accurate shooting. Then we fired fifty qualification shots from various positions, with no more than 5 misses to qualify.

I have been shooting most of my life and learned a lot from this experience.

My question is this: if your state has a firing qualification session for your CCW, what did you have to do?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Arkansas does not have a" qualification". What we do have is a proficiency course. Basically you have to demonstrate that you can safely load,unload and fire and do so in a safe manner without endangering anyone by doing so.

There is no markmanship standard. My club uses an 8x10 sheet of paper that is fired at from 7 yards. If you have difficulty with that,(some people do) we will work with you until you can hit the paper. There is no set standard for number of shots, but we use 70.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In Kentucky I fired at a silhouette target from 7 yards. If I recall correctly we had to shoot 20 rounds total and you had to hit the target 11 times. It was VERY easy and there were a couple of women in my group that were very new shooters but they had no problems.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

When it was first instituted in Florida we had a similar class and skills test to yours.

However, to make it easier to accept other states CCL, Florida dropped the proficiency requirement.

In MO. the target was 5 or 7 yards out, I don't remember exactly, and you had to fire with a combination of both revolver and pistol. A total of 15 of the 20 shots had to be on the paper.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    I'm in Nevada, 4 hrs classroom and 4 hrs range w/30 rounds at 15 yards per weapon on permit.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Kansas has a one day class. It covers types of handguns, safety, and laws pertaining to CC. Lot's of practical examples were given about what one should and should not do.

There is a written multiple choice test with 25 questions. You have to get them all correct.

The last thing is firing on the range. Silhouettes are used. Here my memory may fail but as I recall you have to shoot from 3, 7 and 10 yards in groups of 5 shots. From 3 yards you have to shoot at least one group one handed then another however you want, generally two handed. I am obviously forgetting something as I list only 4 rounds of 5 shots and I know there were 25 shots fired. You have to hit "in the zone" I believe it twas 20 of 25.

The instructors are required to keep your targets in case there is ever a question about qualification.

There was no practice firing before qualification.

The instructors are not tough and at least most are willing to help. For example a friend took the class a few months after I did. He had been practicing with one handgun and the day before the gun broke. He took in a little Keltec P3AT that he had not practiced with. His range was outdoors and there was a 40 mile an hour wind and he couldn't hit a barn. Another guy offered to let him use his Beretta 92. The instructor let him shoot over and he did great.

In my class I said you had to get all 25 questions right. Actually if you missed one they just told you to change it. Not exactly the way school tests are given but let's face it, you might later forget all the others but no way are you going to forget the one you missed when you were afraid it would keep you from getting your license.

In Kansas it's an 8 hour class. That includes classroom lecture time and time for shooting. The shooting qualifications are 5 shots one handed at 3 yrds, 10 shots at 7 yrds two handed, and 10 shots at 10 yrds two handed. You must hit the FBI "Q" target 18 of 25 rounds.

In MN there is a qualifying test but the parameters are up to the instructor. In the classes I teach we require 50 rounds with a 90% or better hit rate. We use 3 silhouette targets at 21'. The shooting is done in low light and darkness if available.

Personally I am against the state dictating what and how a class should be conducted. They could be so restrictive that a Navy Seal couldn't pass their required test. You don't need a test in Alaska and Vermont and that is how it should be everywhere. Do I recommend training? You bet I do but not mandatory and composed by the state.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Here in VA it is a class three hours, or a vet/active armed forces. No shooting required. I took the class, and am a vet so I double qualify and I do shoot, I think there should be some kind of shooting qualifying otherwise who is to say the owner of said gun will ever shoot it, it is like buying a bike without ever having riden one. Just stupid IMHO

TDPalmer

I believe this is more of a county thing than state. Here in Oakland County we had no requirements. We just had to shoot. I think in other county's they have shot placement requirements.

I could be wrong. It would not be the first time..

I think that you are right, Landor. Both my sons got their licenses in Oakland County and were surprised with what I had to do. I also think that I was fortunate to have an ex LEO as an instructor who really put us through our paces on a very hot day in a very uncomfortable environment. If handling errors were going to be made (and corrected, hopefully) it was under these stressful conditions.

I think that the accuracy criteria were his, and I am glad he imposed them.

Texas is a state that madates "demonstated proficiency" if thats what you want to call 20 rounds from3 yards 20 rounds from 7 yards and 10 from 15,

175 out of 250 to qualify If I am not mistaken, but since I have never seen anyone who is not seriously physically disabled not be able to do that on their first day of shooting its more of a "feel good" thing for the non CCW people, in fact you can miss the target with all 10 rounds from 15 yards and still qualify,
    Seriously though my wife was a new pistol shooter and took her p3at to the range to qualify, sad part is that people were shooting 5" .45's and scoring lower than my wife, I have to say that if anything the requirements are way to lax, I understand that would limit some people from carrying, (elderly or disabled) so I guess its just a "feel good" requirement after all. I was not at all pleased that they allowed a guy whos firearm had severe FTF FTE problems qualify, apparently if your weapon malfunctions its not counted againts you in qualification, (sorry I think that is wrong, if they have a nonfunctional/barely functional weapon they should not be carrying it around)

VIP Member
    Being retired military and having been qualified with small arms (both 38 and 9mm), I was exempt from the shooting phase in Oklahoma when I got my permit there. In Virginia I was not required to take the course for my permit since I had a valid permit from another state. When my wife got her permit here in VA I took the course with her, and I believe she had to fire 20 rounds at 7 yds. No minimun score required and I'm not sure if the shooting was even required by the state. It may have just been a requirement of the instructor. I was disappointed in her shooting. 18 in the 10 ring, 1 in the 9 ring and 1 in the 8 ring.

Here in Arizona, in addition to the 8-hr core classroom work, range qual. is a total of 10 shots (five at 5 yds & five at 10 yds). Qualifying shots must be placed in designated area of target in order to be counted as a hit. A total of 7 out of 10 shots must score as a hit for range qualification.

Depending on who you decide to get your CCW training with, you can shoot a quick 10 or pony up 100+ rounds in facilities that go above the required minimum.

Hope this helps.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links