Well I forgot for the first time

This is a discussion on Well I forgot for the first time within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am so comfortable carrying now that its almost to the point where I don't think about it anymore, its just there and I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well I forgot for the first time

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Well I forgot for the first time

I am so comfortable carrying now that its almost to the point where I don't think about it anymore, its just there and I just assume I have it. Today was one of those situations where I came home from work, took my glock off, did my buisness, fed the cats then headed back out. Well I forgot to grab my Glock today when I left the house for a quick errand. I didn't even realize it until I got out of the car and did a quick check to make sure I wasn't showing, then it hit me... I don't have it We'll I quickly made haste to get in to do what I had to do, then went home. Anyone else ever get so comfortable with carrying that they forget to grab their gun before they run out the door for a brief moment?

2. Remove Ads

I haven't yet, but I can see how it can happen. I too am so comfortable with carrying I have to check often to make sure it is not showing. Maybe that helps keep me from forgetting.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I usually set out the shirt and pants I'm going to wear the following day. Holster goes on top. Problem solved.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Not yet, the weight of a full size 1911 won't let me forget to take it with me.
    "Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition"

VIP Member
    So I don't forget, I don't take it off when I get home....

I sometimes fall asleep on it.

There are three things I check every time before I leave the house - 1. house & car keys (on the same key ring), 2. cell phone, and 3. firearm. I just don't leave home without them and so far have never forgotten any of them. Now, the kids might be another matter.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

once i got so used to carrying my duty weapon around that i freaked out when i couldn't find it to go out. but that was after returning from 15 months of haveing her on my person 24/7
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

You know what gets me, when/if this happens (it has) is when I have been carrying a different weight of weapon. Knowing this, I should just carry the same weapon...but can't always.

95% of the time this is my G29, but if I must carry smaller and lighter weapon I get used to the lighter weight, thus not noticing if I've laid it down...(in the bathroom).

It helps now that I carry 100% other than sleeping. Since starting that I have yet to forget and go out with an empty holster or holsterless belt.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    So I don't forget, I don't take it off when I get home....
    The buisness part was the restroom normally I don't take it off, except for my afternoon no #2... if you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    The buisness part was the restroom normally I don't take it off, except for my afternoon no #2... if you get my drift.
    I am a bit dense here, so if you could, please go into full detail of what you mean above, I would appreciate it. Please be graphic so I can get a full visual. Thank you.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    I am a bit dense here, so if you could, please go into full detail of what you mean above, I would appreciate it. Please be graphic so I can get a full visual. Thank you.

I carry all the time when I'm awake -- but twice I have come downstairs in the morning and realized I didn't put my gun in my holster. I honestly don't even notice it unless I think about it kind of poking me in the side.
    Gun weight may play a part. I recently went from a little 1911 to a G19 and I just can't tell the Glock is there at all. I am going to have to pay more attention for a while.

Haven't forgotten the gun yet, but have a double mag carrier that I have put on and forgot to place the spare magazines in more than once.
    Texas Citizens Defense League©

http://txcdl.org/

forgot to carry

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I am so comfortable carrying now that its almost to the point where I don't think about it anymore, its just there and I just assume I have it. Today was one of those situations where I came home from work, took my glock off, did my buisness, fed the cats then headed back out. Well I forgot to grab my Glock today when I left the house for a quick errand. I didn't even realize it until I got out of the car and did a quick check to make sure I wasn't showing, then it hit me... I don't have it We'll I quickly made haste to get in to do what I had to do, then went home. Anyone else ever get so comfortable with carrying that they forget to grab their gun before they run out the door for a brief moment?
    haven't forgotten yet but i'll bet it caused a quick panic.
    oh$@&% where is it.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links