..when proper cause exists for the issuance.

This is a discussion on ..when proper cause exists for the issuance. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need a little help from any lawyer types out there. I have a NYS CCW permit, issued in Orange County. Reciprocity exists through every county ...

Thread: ..when proper cause exists for the issuance.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar

..when proper cause exists for the issuance.

Need a little help from any lawyer types out there. I have a NYS CCW permit, issued in Orange County. Reciprocity exists through every county except....NYC. It's even stamped on the back of the license. Now, a NYC application 'says' that SPECIAL endorsements of NYS issued outside of NYC may be issued (Endorsement of/on your State permit?) when....the title of this thread.

...when proper cause exists.....okay, in NYC you cannot list PERSONAL PROTECTION as a reason to own a gun. I don't think I even listed it as a reason on my state permit. Counties in New York are all different...Orange County tends to have judges that will 'restrict' your carry of firearm to a specific place or task. Mine originally had a 'hunting, hiking, fishing and target shooting at a bona-fide range' typed on it.

Trying to justify....when proper cause exists.

Good luck. Any help would be appreciated.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

2. Remove Ads

Just those Crazy NYS Laws

I'm just north of you with an Ulster County CCW. Yes, it is up to the judge in each county in NYS to assign a permit however he/she sees fit. As far as I understand it (this is not a legal opinion), it is almost impossible to get a NYC permit unless you are well connected or have a really, really good reason.

The judges in Ulster County usually give unrestricted CCW's, but in Dutchess, for example, I have heard of "premises only" or "range only" restrictions being arbitrarily attached. It's amazing that there is no consistent guideline in NYS for a judge to follow.

You can transport through NYC, let's say to Nassau or Suffolk, but it must be a continuous, non-stop excursion.

Here is a link you might find helpful:
    Firearm Laws for New York

Good Luck!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Just a P.S:

Here is one guy's story of his trials and tributations on getting a NYC CCW. It's a good read!

Difficulties of getting a handgun permit in New York City
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

PREMISES LICENSE: IS A RESTRICTED TYPE OF LICENSE. It is issued for your RESIDENCE or BUSINESS. The Licensee may possess a handgun ONLY on the premises of the address indicated on the front of the license. Licensees may also transport their handguns and ammunition in SEPARATE LOCKED CONTAINERS, DIRECTLY to and from an authorized range, or hunting location. HANDGUNS MUST BE UNLOADED while being transported.

CARRY BUSINESS LICENSE: Is valid for the business name, address, and handguns listed on the front of the license. It is not transferable to any other person, business, occupation, or address, without the written approval of the commanding officer, license division.

LIMITED CARRY BUSINESS LICENSE: IS A RESTRICTED TYPE OF LICENSE. The licensee may only carry handguns indicated on the license in accordance with the specific limitations listed thereon. At all other times the handgun may be possessed only within the confines of the business address listed on the front of the license.

SPECIAL CARRY LICENSE: Is valid for the business name, address and handguns listed on the front of this license, only while the licensee has in his possession a valid basic county license issued according to the provisions of article 400 of the N.Y.S. Penal law. Upon the revocation, suspension, or cancellation of the basic license, the special license is rendered void and must be immediately returned to the license division.

CARRY GUARD LICENSE: (SECURITY GUARDS, ETC.) Applications for this type of license must be made with the documentation provided by a company's Gun Custodian. It is issued only for the handgun listed on the license. The handgun may be carried only while the licensee is actively engaged in employment for the company whose name appears on the license, and/or while licensee is in transit directly to or from residence and place of employment. At all other times the handgun must be stored unloaded in a locked container, at either the address on the license, or at the employee's legal residence (within the State of New York).

NYPD Permit

I am a business owner in Queens NY, which is part of the 5 boros that make up what is typically called NYC. To us NYC means Manhattan. Same rules across the board. Yes getting a pistol permit for NYC is very tough but I beleive there are several ways. (1) They do issue a target permit which allows you to carry unloaded in a lock box to and from the range. If you are stopped with the pistol loaded on your person, they will charge you with carring an illegal weapon. 1 year manatory. (2) It is my understanding and the route that i am going is. If you are a licensed armed security guard . You can apply for a waiver from NYPD located at 1 Police Plaza Manhattan NY. What good would a armed security guard be if he could not cross intot he 5 boros while working as a armed security guard. To apply for a Armed guard license is handled thru the State of NY. Division of Licensing. NYS DOS, Licensing Services, Security Guard FAQ .(3) Be a business owner that makes LARGE CASH deposit each and every week in the sum of $6-$10,000. Any other questions please PM me.

Thanks PC ,for the cute story link.

Have you seen the NYC application? http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...PD_643_041.pdf

The wording is...enough to make you vomit. I'm gonna' try for that
    SPECIAL endorsement of my county permit. Yeah, I know, good luck. When they deny me, I'll file an Article 78. If they still don't agree that I am a person of good moral character etc.... Any suggestions?

Any body out there been through this with a win? Or loss.....
    ---Ronald Reagan

Please keep me updated how your trials and tribulations go... I was toying with the idea of tttempting to get a NY city CCW, but I don't think I am up to the challenge.

I'd be curious if you succeed, so I look forward to hearing from you in, let's say, 8 months or so!
    LOL
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Cute....8 months.....Maybe I'll learn how to grow a cop out of my a** before then. Then, I won't need the permit when I'm in NYC.

Here's a quote from The NY Post..."I do think that having concealed weapons on the streets of major cities is not something that is in the interests of the citizens of those cities in this day and age, and I don't think the founding fathers really thought about that when they drafted the Constitution," Bloomberg said.

He should check out the stat's in DC and across the river in Virginia. Schmuck......

Rights given by God, re-printed for all to see in the US Constitution. I don't think the founding fathers had Mr. Bloomberg in mind to guide us....
    ---Ronald Reagan

Exclamation

Received my Utah non-resident CCW permit Sent 03/10/07 Received 07/26/07 included a copy with my application for my NYC Rifle & Shotgun Permit on 08/01/07 still waiting. Since that time I received 5 additional CCW permits. Got to love NY!

NH: (Sent 08/06/07 Received 08/31/07)
    VA: (Sent 08/16/07 Received 09/28/07)
    CT: (Sent 08/16/07 Received 09/28/07)
    FL: (Sent 08/16/07 Received 10/26/07)
    ME: (Sent 08/16/07 Received 12/31/07) Issue with paper work caused delay

Links