Stun Gun or OC Pepper Spray

This is a discussion on Stun Gun or OC Pepper Spray within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may be off topic but I need some input. I am in need of a handgun alternative to be used as a defensive tool ...

Thread: Stun Gun or OC Pepper Spray

This may be off topic but I need some input. I am in need of a handgun alternative to be used as a defensive tool for my Oldest Daughter and my Wife. My wife is a teacher and is not able to CCW or even Car Carry on school property so a handgun is out of the question. She can't even park in the parking lot if there is a firearm in the car. She Works with the Boys and Girls Club after school and it is sometimes dark when she leaves. My oldest Daughter is a Senior in High School and attends College also. She works after school at Drug Wharehouse in our home town. It is 9pm When she leaves work and most everything around her is already shut down when she is leaving. She is almost 18 and in Oklahoma, she is not able to even be in posession of a handgun. My question is what would be the better of the 2 defenses, a stun gun or OC Pepper spray? I am afraid that the pepper spray could be used against them or possibly be used incorectly in destress. The effects of a stun gun are well known and I feel would be a better choice for a beginer. Hell just the sound of one make my hair stand up. Does any one have any knowledge or experience on this subject? Thanks.
    "Life is Hard. It's even Harder if your Stupid"

I personally prefer OC (I like Fox Labs) to stun guns. With OC you (she) has some stand-off. With a stun gun, she's actually in contact with the BG and if he's not incapacitated......and they often aren't......he's got her.

It's almost a moot point - you can't carry OC or a stun gun on school property anyway, and you have to be 18 to own either in most states as far as I know. Have you checked the local laws?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

VIP Member
    I'd say OC, but you better check with the school. Most colleges dont allow even pepper spray, much less stun guns. They not only want them defenseless , they want them "totally defenseless"..

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - school rules aside - stream OC it has to be (Fox here too) .... anything that can create even marginal distance is IMO better.

Sad eh - that these days we have to put so much thought and effort into how to keep safe ........ when all the while rules and reg's want to defeat that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

A stun gun works well but in my opinion she would have to be too close to the threat and simplicity is paramount. OC spray is great but the wind can work against you so look for a strong delivery system, the "Kimber Lifeact Guardian Angel" is the best product I have found as it will discharge at 90mph.

Another OC spray vote here...

Buy her two...let her try using one to test distance accuracy, and back spray...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree that you need to check local laws and regulations first.

Between the two, I'd choose OC Pepper Spray. You get the advantage of distance from the attacker, and you also have the opportunity to defend yourself against multiple attackers.

Well out of sight, out of mind. If they ever had to use it it would be better than a firearms charge. It would be easier to conceal a can of ocs than a firearm. I'll have to read the laws on ocs on school property. I will have my wife ask the School Super intendant about it. I was concerned with the fact that they could miss with the pepper spray or get them selves if the attacker had them from behind. With the stun gun, if they had ahold of them they could hit them. If they had to use the pepper spray in the car, chances are they would get a snootful themselves and not be able to flee the scene. I can sit here and "what if " the crap out of this and still not make up my mind. I am sure there are pros and cons of each. Thanks guys. I still welcome any and all thoughts.
    "Life is Hard. It's even Harder if your Stupid"

I understand the concerns with pepper spray, that it can affect the sprayer too.

One thing I'd recommend is practice the spray. That'll get a user familiar with handling and give more confidence. Maybe once a month. There are inert cannisters you can practice with. It's also good to discharge to make sure the nozzle and other mechanics still work. That also means you'll need a supply of them in the long-term.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Tasers have the stand off capability but may be as restricted in your state as a gun, so check your laws. Fox OC is good, too. Both would be better. What are the laws on collapsible batons there? They do need training to use, though.

I'd also say go with both, a quality OC spray as the second line of defense, and a quality high power (1,000,000 volt minimum) stun-gun as the third (there are some small high power ones that can be found on e-bay that have gotten good reviews)............

Yeah I know I skipped the first line of defense, and since I'm sure some are wondering:

The first line of defense is Good Situational Awareness.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

I would go with OC. Buy twice as many as you are planning on giving out (two users, buy four OCs) and use the remainder to practice spraying (stay upwind). You don't want the first time you take off the safety and spray to be in a stressful situation.

Best of luck.

Steve
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Sponsored Links