Is it any wonder I carry a gun in the Memphis area?

This is a discussion on Is it any wonder I carry a gun in the Memphis area? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When even the thugs and gange members aren't afraid to break in and murder a Lt. of the Memphis Police force in his own home? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it any wonder I carry a gun in the Memphis area?

When even the thugs and gange members aren't afraid to break in and murder a Lt. of the Memphis Police force in his own home?

Lt. Ed Vidulich Was shot and killed in his own kitchen last night around midnight. police found his SUV on fire a short distance from his home and after finding the vehicle registered to a fellow officer went to his house to check on him. They found him shot to death on his kitchen floor.

Read the story and see video at the kink below:

Police Lt. Killed
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    This is not your normal home invasion type killing. Either he pissed someone off real bad or something else we don't know about.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Assistant Administrator
    Quick thought here is retribution by thugs ... a possible risk it seems at all times - whether an LEO who has ''upset'' gang scum or perhaps even a legitimate CCW who has done what he had to do to defend self.

Always very scary as ''vengeance seakers'' invariably have the luxury of both surprise, as well as time and place... hard to protect 24/7 against that IMO.

Agreed tho - it does seem Memphis has some problems - like so many other cities. Stay armed ..... for sure - but hope to never have to use.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds like a revenge killing to me. Unfortunately cops live with this possibility each and every day. We deal with so much of this on the streets we sometimes forget our homes are usually on those same streets. The line is narrower now and may seem week, but others are willing to hold the line strong. Salute to all our members who are law enforcement. Even though I'm a Dept. of the Army Police I still wish to thank all LEO's here for putting it on the line for me , my family, and my friends.

What a shame, and my condolences to his family and co-workers. But too often we feel safe in our little cocoon that's home. We tend to drop our guard, and fall prey to someone that's prepared themselves for an attack when we're sitting around in our underwear watching Judge Judy. I'm guilty of it myself.

Any person, any time, any place...it CAN happen!

Stay armed...be cognizant of your surroundings...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Memphis is the only city I have ever been the victim of a crime in while traveling and the wife and I travel alot. I was talking with a deputy in West Memphis a few hours before the crime and asked him were the best spot to get BBQ in Memphis was. He just laughed and said I am a cop and I don't step foot in that town, way to dangerous. I should of taken his advise and skipped my visit their.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Mike, I feel for you man. I am glad that I was moved back to Texas 30 years ago. I do have 3 sisters and their families that live in the Bartlett and Olive Branch area still.

You all have a long row to hoe. Since it appears that all the decent people have moved out of the city and into the surrounding areas, Memphis proper has gone to crap. I just hope that enough people will get fed up with it and start to do something. There is hope I believe, one of my nephews that lives in your area has gotten his carry permit and keeps a gun with him even though his employer has a policy against it. Maybe others will do the same and start to take back what the criminal element has gained.

It does seem as though cities or neighborhoods have to hit rock bottom before they see a resurgence, and become respectable again. Maybe the end is near for Memphis and things will start to get better.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

So sad. With this type of case I always wonder what is not being said by the investigators, what they know but are not saying.

Memphis just seems to be getting worse. I was up at 0300 yesterday and heard 6 shots in or near "our quiet little neighborhood." Said something to the neighbor last evening and he said he hears shots often at that time of the night...who knew? I am always asleep at that hour. Evil does not sleep, though, so stay armed and stay safe.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Mike,
    My daughter is a Elvis fan and she wants to visit Graceland so bad, but everytime I go to plan a trip I read on all the RV forums how the area where Graceland is located is very, very dangerous and it is recommended to stay out of the area all together. I don't understand why they haven't cleaned this area up more as Graceland must bring a lot of money to the town, however the tourist type are also the ones who are easy prey. My wife's unlce lives in Germantown, not sure how far that is from Mephis but he is ready to move it has gotten so bad. I can find you a great deal on a home and land in Mayberry, NC just say the word.
    Stay safe
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Mike,
    My daughter is a Elvis fan and she wants to visit Graceland so bad, but everytime I go to plan a trip I read on all the RV forums how the area where Graceland is located is very, very dangerous and it is recommended to stay out of the area all together. I don't understand why they haven't cleaned this area up more as Graceland must bring a lot of money to the town, however the tourist type are also the ones who are easy prey. NCH
    Second that. My wife and I are really wanting to make a trip to Memphis but we continue to hear stories about the crime there. Does anyone know if Beale Street is this bad?

I just don't think we have all the facts on this one yet. My gut tells me it was a gang or drug dealers "hit". OTOH, nothing really surprises me here anymore.

NCHornet, you've got the right idea on the Mayberry property. If I can keep from getting killed in this town, I'll be on a mountain ridge back in the "sticks" of the Ozarks in MO. in about 8 yrs. Counting the days.......
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Administrator
    So is Memphis the Detroit of the south now? I keep hearing about Memphis... it must really be a hole.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Blueorb,

They patrol the heck out of Beale Street. I have never had any problems when visiting that area. However, there are some areas just short distances away from Beale Street and the touristy part of downtown that are really bad from what I understand. Best bet is to know where your going and stay on the main roads when down there.

I don't let the continual decline stop me from visiting, just keep my eyes open.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by blueorb View Post
    Second that. My wife and I are really wanting to make a trip to Memphis but we continue to hear stories about the crime there. Does anyone know if Beale Street is this bad?
    Lots of private security/police officers on Beale Street especially during the weekends. The problem......you will be wanded by security and told to disarm before entering the street. Drinking is allowed on the street (outdoors) so is consider an extension of the bars. Firearms are not allowed in bars in TN at this time.

Most problems in this area happen when returning to your car at the end of your evening. My advise, park in a more expense secure parking garage, close by Beale (there are many) that has security personal on duty.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links