Bounty Hunter, Sheriffs Deputy or home invaders?

This is a discussion on Bounty Hunter, Sheriffs Deputy or home invaders? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I feel comfortable posting this now. It has been about a month since this happened. It was a weekend afternoon, and not too ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bounty Hunter, Sheriffs Deputy or home invaders?

I think I feel comfortable posting this now. It has been about a month since this happened.

It was a weekend afternoon, and not too cold for December here in Shelby County. My wife and kids and I were at home and we were all doing our own thing. I was on the computer, looking at defensivecarry in fact, my wife and daughter were playing a board game in the living room, my older boys were playing a video game and the twins were watching some cartoon program on TV.

There was a knock at the door and my daughter, as she usually does no matter how many times I have told her not to, jumped up and ran to the door to open it thinking it was one of her friends as it is most of the time. But, this time it wasn't, it was two men with guns on their hips. Actually, let me rephrase that, it was two men, one who had a Glock on his right hip at the door, and one who was just at the corner of the garage in kind of a cover position. I did not see a gun on that man but the impression I got was that he was also armed. Both had badges hanging on chains around their necks.

But, I skipped ahead. As my daughter opened the door a bout a foot to see who it was, she did not say anything and as I had quickly looked around to tell her not to open the door I noticed her stiffen up. She quickly slammed the door shut and locked the dead bolt, spun and yelled "Dad it's two guys with guns!"

BINGO! I am instantly on high alert! I am suddenly aware that my Glock 23, which I carry all the time because home invasions are a not too uncommon occurrence here in Shelby County, even at home is in my right hand at ready low and I am next to the front door. Everyone else is being herded upstairs by my wife to the master bedroom where the Mossberg 590 is located. She is already dialing 911 on her cell phone. (the plan is in action with out us even thinking about it)

I yell through the door (as I am standing to the right side of the door as you see it from outside, and that side is a brick wall floor to ceiling) for them to identify themselves. They say they are there looking for a man by a name I do not know but for some reason sounds vaguely familiar to me. I tell them that there is no one that lives here by that name. I ask them to repeat the name. They do. Then it dawns on me, we occasionally get mail for this person they are looking for. We rent the house and it had occurred to me in the past that this man must have rented the house at some time in the past.

My level of alarm decreases slightly so I go into the half bath that is on the other side of the front door and pull the blinds up to look outside. They are still there, so I crack the window to speak to them. They repeat who they are looking for. I again tell them there is no one by that name that lives here.

They ask to come in.

I decline.

They ask when we moved into the house and I tell them Oct.1, 2005.

That seems to satisfy them.

At this time, the lead guy is at the window looking in and talking to me and I am backed out of the half bath using the door jam as cover and he notices for the first time that I am armed.(obviously I wasn't using cover effectively enough) I have by this time re-holstered but I do still have my hand on the grip.

He asks me if that is a gun and I confirm that it is. He asks me why I am armed and I inform him that that really isn't any of his concern but since he has been civil about all this it is because there are two armed men on my front porch who have not bothered to tell me who they work for or show me proper ID. It was then that they showed me their ID and explained that they were there to serve the person they named with a warrant of some kind.

After the uniformed Deputy arrived, I opened the door and we discussed the matter, on the front porch, not in my home. The two plain clothes Deputies felt it was not wise for me to be armed at home but the uniformed Deputy didn't have a problem with it. And I told them that I felt that a simple check by the Deputies trying to serve the warrant would have shown that the phone and utilities are in my name and not the individual who they were looking for and could have kept this whole thing from happening.

In the end, my daughter now knows to ask who is at the door before she opens it and I found out or contingency plan worked just as we'd rehearsed it. Some things could have been done better but over all, I think we did OK.

And by the way, for those of you who do not know, there have been numerous instances of home invasions in Shelby County over the last couple of years where the home invaders pose as police to get inside the home so please do not lecture me on how I reacted to these Deputies. They did not have a problem with it, so if you do, you obviously do not understand the situation in this area. Other members such as CaptianAmerica can attest to what I am saying here.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; January 29th, 2008 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Spelling
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    The two plain clothes Deputies felt it was not wise for me to be armed at home
    They don't think you have a right to protect yourself & your family?

I think you guys did great. Good to have an action plan in place. Glad things worked out. It could've easily gotten ugly really fast.

Administrator
    Sounds like you did OK... your daughter needs a lesson or two.

Lets head this off right now before someone else brings it up; Yes, a uniform should have been the contact man, not plain clothes. This is a bad business practice for them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Bounty hunters would've kicked the door in. They're within the law if they have probable cause without a warrant. Home invaders would have shoved your daughter aside and rushed in. Be glad they were LEO's!

That's a hell of a practice run for the family contingency plan!

I'm glad that you're daughter got a first hand idea of why she should always check who's at the door and get your ok to open it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Bounty hunters would've kicked the door in. They're within the law if they have probable cause without a warrant.
    But they had no PC to do such a thing in this case... they would have got someone killed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I would have been nervous too. I can't believe they didn't tell you they were LEO right at the start.

And what business is it of theirs if you carry in your own home. You don't even need a license for that.

Doesn't take much PC under the 1800's law still in effect addressing bounty hunters. The detectives in this case blew it.

VIP Member
    Sounds like you did the right thing. The bounty hunter laws need to be changed. It's hard to believe in this country those laws still apply.
    I'm sure that's why the LEO said it wasn't a good idea to be armed. I'm sure he's aware they do make mistakes at times and bust in on the wrong people. But...................... This is America.

scary situation.glad everything turned out ok. great family plan you
    have just such an event. dont know proper bounty hunter procedure
    but sure sounds like a way that yeah things can turn ugly real quick.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Glad that everything turned out well. This is good story to get people to think about a action plan if they don't have one already.

That's an EXCELENT example of a plan working as it should.........and an EXCELENT example of what officers/detectives/LEO's should NOT do serving papers. TN Mike, ya'll did good and I'm especially pleased those knuckleheads didn't mess up any further and get someone shot. Scary situation for your daughter to learn that lesson about opening doors without momma or daddy Mike's say so.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Private Service Processors in Shelby County, TN

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Lets head this off right now before someone else brings it up; Yes, a uniform should have been the contact man, not plain clothes. This is a bad business practice for them.
    In Shelby County, Private Service Processors are officers of the Court. They are licensed by the State of TN and are thus governed by the State. They can wear whatever they want to wear. Some of these private companies have uniforms (look like rent-a-cops) but most are nicely dressed in business casual attire. Being officers of the Court, they are armed and carry badges (State approved Private Process Server badges). The reason private service is used in Shelby County is because the service processors that work for the Sheriff's Office, deputies that serve process, have a very low success rate. If you want to get a judgment for monies owed in a Civil Suit in Shelby County, the papers must be served to the person named in the suit personally or the person must show up in court. If a Sheriff's Deputy shows up at a deadbeat's door (uniform, papers in hand, Service Processor in BIG, BOLD letters on the side of a Sheriff's Dept car), the deadbeat just does not answer the door and is therefore not personally served and cannot have a judgment levied against them in court. If a Private Service Processor shows up in plain clothes the likelihood of personal service goes up dramatically as does the chance of getting a financial judgment against the person served. Private Service Processors have a much, much higher success rate in Shelby County. It is all about using due process to get the monies owed from people that owe it in a legal way. Sixto, this is the way it works in Shelby County, TN. I use a Private Service Processor for all my civil suits and have a 75% success rate. Companies that use the Sheriff for process service have a 30% success rate. That is the way it works here.

Mike, Sorry this happened to you and your family. I am so glad that you are safe. I sent you a PM. All that adrenaline over a $460.00 dentist bill that belongs to someone not even remotely connected to you.

Stay safe.
    Last edited by citizen510; January 29th, 2008 at 08:40 AM.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Good job, mike. Reason enough to stay armed in the home. As quick as they could've kicked in the door you were already armed. At least your daughter learned a lesson the (relatively) easy way. Both my kids need to learn it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    The two plain clothes Deputies felt it was not wise for me to be armed at home but the uniformed Deputy didn't have a problem with it.
    Mike, looks like you and the family done good with your plan. Kudos to all!

Now for the two idiot Deputies ( yep, I disrespected them) who think it is unwise to be armed in your home.........have they forgotten what is going on in this crime war zone we live in and that home invasions have indeed been done with scumbags posing as police officers. This just makes my blood boil.

Again, good job....... you and the family stay safe!
    Last edited by Cap'n; January 29th, 2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: sp
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links