Stay safe, get a whistle. - Page 4

Stay safe, get a whistle.

This is a discussion on Stay safe, get a whistle. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Think how much less effective the simple game of Rock/Paper/Scissors would be if it were instead named Rock/Paper/Whistle. "Whistle" would get trounced every time. Much ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stay safe, get a whistle.

Think how much less effective the simple game of Rock/Paper/Scissors would be if it were instead named Rock/Paper/Whistle. "Whistle" would get trounced every time. Much like in real life.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Actually, its much better. The psychology of the attacker is important- he won't be looking for a fight; he's looking to intimidate and dominate. If the "victim" is armed, and uses a strategic retreat, the BG won't have a choice but to run. I've never worked on or spoken with a rapist who got excited at the thought of getting gigged... Now a druggie looking for a score is a different matter, but...

Fixed blades are better, Spyderco and Benchmade make some nice little 3"ers. Mark Goldsworthy ( Mark Goldsworthy Knives ) makes nice customs, at a reasonable price.
    Great post, and I'll second the recommendation for Goldsworthy knives...I've got one and I love it.

Seriously...make sure she has a knife, then get her some training with that knife (even a one or two day seminar from a reputable instructor will do wonders). Make sure she carries a can of OC and understands its capabilities and limitations. And last but not least, look into some good quality empty-hand training.

And always remember: "concealed is concealed." If they don't know you have it, you have no problems. If they find out you have it because you had to use it to save your life...are you really gonna care?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

If this is my wife or daughter I go for the real deal, no knives,pepper spray,exc. There's a real threat on that campus. Better to get thrown off campus or out of school than thrown off the earth.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

At the liberal Kalifornia college my daughter attends, the campus police can't even carry weapons.

A whistle is a good lifesaver if you are lost at sea or in the wilderness. In the hustle and bustle of daily life no one is going to go running to a whistle.

I don’t know about Reno, but in Florida CCL holders are allowed to carry any “non lethal” devise on school grounds. (I wish they would allow us to carry anywhere)

Since she’s not allowed to carry a pistol, I would try pepper spray or even better mace if you can still find it. From my experience with that stuff, it should get the BG’s attention.

Speaking of that, do they even still make mace?

A small can of Easy Off oven cleaner with the right kind of replacement nozzle will do the trick. Worked for a lady I taught self defense to. The attacker was blinded in one eye and the skin on one side of his face and neck was destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

Speaking of that, do they even still make mace?
    This stuff has both.
    Take Down OC-CS : Mace Personal Defense
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    A small can of Easy Off oven cleaner with the right kind of replacement nozzle will do the trick. Worked for a lady I taught self defense to. The attacker was blinded in one eye and the skin on one side of his face and neck was destroyed.
    "So sir/ma'am, you deliberately sprayed Mr. ____ (the BG) with a substance that you knew would probably blind and/or disfigure him?"

stick with OC.

Look, if we boil this issue down to the essentials it's simple. The problem is that there are many places that deprive us of our rights to carry our weapons so that we can defend ourselves.
    The solution? You have two choices: 1) Carry something and shut up about it (i.e. don't get caught).
    2) Don't carry.
    It's that simple.

All of the threads of this nature end up containing numerous suggestions for all kinds of wacky improvised weapons: padlock in the socks, etc. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not discounting the damage that can be done with such an implement, I'm just a little skeptical as to the practicality of many of these items.
    For an item to be useful to you in a defensive context, it needs to be something you can always carry and it needs to be readily accessible (not something you have to dig out of the backpack or assemble before it can be used). At the very least, a flashlight (impact weapon), stout writing-pen (shank), and OC (distraction, deterence, etc.) should be a part of your EDC if you're in a non-permissive environment.

I'm done ranting...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

do people realize if you punch someone square in the mouth who is blowing a whistle the thing will knock thier teeth out that would take all of about 2 seconds then what are you to do?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adaman04 View Post
    A whistle is a good lifesaver if you are lost at sea or in the wilderness. In the hustle and bustle of daily life no one is going to go running to a whistle.
    This actually why I carry a whistle. I also use it to get peoples attention because while they might not run towards it, at 130db, they're definitely looking around for it, IME.

Besides, with a whistle and a G17, I have to be the safest person in the world according to these guys, right? ;)

A Collapsible baton works awesome according to my Navy MA kid. [navy police]. One smack on the side of the knee and the violent offender is down on the ground . That only works on people with out guns.

VIP Member
    I could only wish every female on campus would be armed but sadly, we all know that's not going to happen.

The bottom line is, personal defense is our responsibility, not the Universities.

Whistles blow! Sorry, that was really bad!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    since I officiate high school and college basketball and couldn't resist replying to this post,
    (humor on)
    I think I'm an "expert" in this area, and offer my thoughts
    -yes, the evil black whistles exist, no permit needed, really ticks off the anti-whistle crowds (yes, pun intended)
    -that being said, there are those that are not trained and use whistles and other noise makers when its illegal to do so
    -I have enough practice with mine that I can get more that one tweet per puff of air
    -sounding a whistle does attract attention, and its not always good
    -some people don't like the way others use their whistles
    -whistle retention is fairly easy with the lanyards
    -I can talk and use my whistle at the same time
    -Whistle ADs are not good but can be prevented with proper training
    -pea whistles are classified under Curio & Relic
    -yes, getting hit in the face with a whistle in your mouth will dislodge teeth (thats why us refs spit out the whistle before we toss the ball to start the game)
    -I always have a BUW when on the floor
    (humor off)
    now joking aside, how absolutely absurd on the college's part, how bout providing self-defense/situational awareness classes to females on campus instead of handing out a whistle to ward off a scumbag
    somebody should really bring this to the attention of those in charge
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    The liberals giving people whistles is comprable to the Iranian gov't giving their kids karhans and telling them to perfrom a wave attacks on fortified iraqi positions (see Basij in Iran-Iraq war). The whistles are "comforting" but little more. Oh, well sucks to be a sheep I guess. I PROMISE that if the letter had gone out and said we are issuing every student a Glock 19, there would be ZERO rapes, ZERO abductions and all other crime would reduce DRASTICLY.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links