Carrying to a friend's house

This is a discussion on Carrying to a friend's house within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Me, I won't be going....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying to a friend's house

Me, I won't be going.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

dont tell and they wont know
    and the day your at one of the anti gun peoples house and some one decides to break in and you save their lives the might not be so anti gun any more plus you will feel better knowing your carrying

The day a friend or family member tells me I am not welcome if I am carrying a gun, is the last day I visit.

I also don't let friends or family dictate what kind of socks or underwear I have on, or don't.

I'm cranky, middle-aged, and stubborn, not a murderous psychopath.

--Travis--

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    You get more "ammo" (pardon the pun) the longer you carry and the longer they dont' know. For instance you get made 11 months after going to thier house to watch football, or whatever. So joe says man you've been carrying in my house for 11 months!?! and you calmly say why yes, and i've always carried, and joe will say but i have kids! I let you around my KIDS! and you will say and i've mae the appropriote reactions for those 11 months to make sure things stayed safe around my conealed weapon. The longer you can hide it the easier to say it is "and never once in those X amount of times has anyone been put in danger" I keep it safe man. I'm rambling.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I do not have room for ignorance in my life... If someone doesn't approve of carrying in their home, then I will not be visiting.

99.9% of the time I wouldn't know if they approved or disapproved. I carry concealed and I don't announce it to anyone.

One good friend has been a shooting buddy for years. He asked, but wasn't certain I did carry to his home, though he knew I had a CHL. I'm sure he knew, as he effectively introduced me and initially trained me on pistol handling. Knows my disposition and respect for being armed, very well. He was not surprised when I indicated that I was, indeed, carrying. We had a brief chuckle, realizing that it would never be an issue.

No other friends know. A couple of family members (outside my own home) know, but they so anti- they won't bring it up any longer. So, not an issue there, either.

Nicely, Oregon is not so dim as to believe that my informing others of my carry status makes a bit of difference as to their safety or security. In reality, it only negatively impacts mine. Kudos to my state for recognizing the simplicity of that.

Ditto on this basic sentiment: I also don't have room for ignorance or blindness in my life. I carry, always. If I cannot, I do not go there. If I'm not wanted, I leave. It's simple and it's fair. And it helps keep me safe. My friends and family don't make it an issue, largely (I believe) because I do not.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 1st, 2008 at 04:53 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

It depends on the situation. At one friends' home I disarm myself, and place the gun in a high cupboard out of reach of children, with my wallet, keys, glasses, etc. It's more of a comfort thing than anything else. If I'm somewhere else where I don't have that level of comfort, I just keep it under cover. In either case I never talk about it. That's not good policy. It creates other "problems" I'd rather not deal with.

If my weapon is not welcome I won't be there. It's not a problem that I've ever run into as most of my friends have their own CCW. I don't inform my customers that I carry and if some how they figured it out and didn't like it, they could hire someone else to work in their house. At least in Oklahoma I don't have to notify them.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I was contacted by a beautiful woman on Myspace who "found older guys attractive" and loved my Harley. Now I've got these notes before from "pros" if you know what I mean. But she kept sending me messages and is local. I finally wrote back and we chatted back and forth. She really wanted to meet for a ride. She asked my other interests and I told her about my passion for 1911's. She said I'd have to leave it home since she doesn't like guns. So much for a sure thing 20 years my younger!

Whatever is in my pockets (or strapped on my belt) is my business, not theirs.

If they find out and ask me to leave, or leave it at home next time, I’ll either avoid their house in the future, or honor their wishes. It depends on the nature of our relationship. But, I’m not going to ask permission before hand. I’m not doing anything illegal or immoral by choosing to protect myself.

Should I double check to make sure they are okay with me bringing in cash, credit cards, various licenses & IDS, a picture of my wife, my BJ’s club card, my cell phone, my pocket knife, my flashlight, orthopedic insoles, wrist watch, etc…where does it end?

I've got an acquaintance that requires everyone to take their shoes off before entering the house. Usually I'm on my bike with high lace-up boots. I just don't go there anymore.

I am faced with the same situation in the near future. We are invited to a neighbor's home for a winter 'get together' at the end of this month. The husband is a 'newbie' to firearms and has been asking me for advice on what to buy to protect his home as well as his motorhome while on the road. His wife is an 'anti'. She's terrified of guns. Out of respect for her position, I'll leave my gun at home for the evening.

Well said mzmtg my thoughts exactly

I guess I am kind of like Ted Nugent!

Simple, don't associate with anti-freedom people! I live in Texas, and all of the people I associate with are freedom lovers, aka pro 2A!

Almost all of my friends are NRA/TSRA members. The ones that are not, are not anti 2A.

As long as it is legal...I carry...concealed is concealed...no one should know.
    More probable...if my gun is 'verbally' not welcomed...I'm not going.

Here in the South...EVERY home has a gun.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links