Carrying to a friend's house

This is a discussion on Carrying to a friend's house within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dehalter Simple, don't associate with anti-freedom people! I live in Texas, and all of the people I associate with are freedom lovers, ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying to a friend's house

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dehalter View Post
    Simple, don't associate with anti-freedom people! I live in Texas, and all of the people I associate with are freedom lovers, aka pro 2A!

Almost all of my friends are NRA/TSRA members. The ones that are not, are not anti 2A.
    Be carefull with this logic... not all people who dont like guns are anti freedom. Part of the freedoms we all love is respecting the freedom to not want somethings in our own homes. Your freedom ends when it tramples on another persons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Your freedom ends when it tramples on another persons.
    I wish more people on our side could understand that simple concept.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    I guess my outlook on this is pretty simple, in my case anyway....
    ....I've been trying to think of a single friend of mine that is anti....and I can't think of one, the friends I visit are all ok with firearms so I don't have to worry about it
    that being said, if I had discussions about this beforehand with someone and that clearly stated they didn't want it in their house then I'd consider their wishes (didn't think this way always)
    but If I don't want someone bringing their friend who is a drug dealer in my house, or bringing any substance in my house that I don't want, then they better respect my wishes
    in an anti-2A situation just think of it as an opportunity to educate
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I didn't expect to be in such a situation so soon, but this weekend we plan to visit a good friend and her... roommate. Don't know the roommate's views on guns, but likely to be different than mine. Don't know hers either (she's actually my wife's old friend).

I'll be carrying because my family will be there. Just because someone doesn't like guns doesn't mean there is a magic bubble around their house that protects them from all evil.

I give no one the right to disarm me. If they don't provide me with armed protection at their house, I'll either carry myself, or I won't go.

If somehow in the future they find out I carry, and ask me not to at their house, I'll tell them I left my gun at home. That is, "gun" as in singular.

The safety of my family trumps all courtesy.

Interesting Responses

There seems to be a few different camps here for responses to my question:

1: Where I go, my gun goes. If My gun isn't welcome than I'm not going.

2: I would take it off out of respect for the homeowners.

3: What they don't know can't hurt them. Concealed is concealed.

All responses seem to be well distributed throught these categories...interesting.

I would never enter the home of another while armed without their permission.
    Jus' Keepin' It Real, Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeeze1off View Post
    Why not?

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    Why not?

Because it's common courtesy.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    My wife knows that I will carry everywhere that I am legally allowed to do so. Not an issue there. She wasn't exactly gun friendly at first, but now she knows that she has around the clock protection with me there. In fact, she's asked me a few times - "you're carrying right?" Now she doesn't have to ask, she already knows the answer.

I have never been outed by anybody because I believe in proper concealment. Get a good holster, gun belt, cover garment & learn how to do it properly. Lots of good advice from people on this site. Take notes.
    I believe Bluelineman has put it the best of any! Can't improve on this!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    my wife has gotten used to me carrying..no matter where we go....and she just knows it is going to happen....I trust that your wife will eventually 'ease into it some' and see it is really no big deal...it is something you do to protect the family...from a predator....snake, rabid dog in the yard...whatever...
    I carry to all my friends house...but no one knows....now if a impromptu baseball, wiffleball, football, basketball, etc game breaks out...I just excuse myself for a minute and put it in the truck....'with my cell phone'....
    Hope this helps...if you have any questions please ask.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    How far do you carry this?

[NOT to be a wise-guy, but just to illustrate a point wrt "asking permission" regarding things that others may not like in their house.]

- Do you announce that you are carrying a condom in your wallet? What if you were their Daughter's date? Let's even turn this around and if the woman enters the male's parents' house should she announce if she is on birth control?

- Do you want your Wife/SO to announce when she is having her period prior to entering a friend/relative's house?

- Do you announce that you/SO/Wife has piercings or tattoos (that are not visible) prior to entering a friend/relative's house?

Many may find these things offensive or might not even like to associate with people with these things (or during those times). But is it really any of their business? Do we really need to seek approval prior to entering?

Just offered to give some readers pause for thought that guns aren't the only things that bother some people . . . and to raise the issue that if something (other than guns) is "unseen" do we really need to make a public issue of it?

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    How far do you carry this ["common" courtesy of asking permission]?
    Good distinction.

In my opinion, it's commonly considered courteous to ask someone if they mind an overtly offensive thing, such as something that smells, is gross/unsightly, or will definitely physically impact someone. Being armed is none of those things. Instead, it is more akin to wearing black undergarments instead of white, or having a felon in the family, or liking D.H. Lawrence over E.A. Poe. It's nobody's business precisely because it doesn't actually impact anyone. It might well be interesting or disturbing to the other person's sensibilities, should the person learn of it, but it doesn't inherently have anything to do with the other person's advance approval of one's presence.

To claim that it does uses the same basic twist of logic that anti-gunners use when they state guns are bad and risky, thus you're to be feared as the worst possible incarnation of an armed person (aka a criminal), therefore where/when you have the ability to defend yourself should be controlled because of that fear. Ridiculous, in my view. The fact that concealed carry laws have succeeded as they have, without blood in the streets from such upstanding folks, points to the simple truth of this.

Now, if someone should ask me to leave because I'm armed, wearing whites, or smell of cigarettes, then I'll certainly leave. That is courteous, with the alternative possibly turning into criminal trespass. But, to go through the litany of things in one's background, makeup, garment selection, food selection, book selection and defensive tool selection merely because others consider it courteous to do so? If that were so, then we, as a species, would spend our time doing nothing other than tip toeing around people's sensibilities in order to provide them advance warning of what others consider might be worth knowing ... instead of simply going about our lives. That sort of existence would be the epitomy of the mommy-may-I society. Pass.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 5th, 2008 at 08:35 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ron
    I don't believe it is necessary, in terms of comman courtesy, to ask permission to carry concealed before I accept an invitation to visit the house of a friend or acquaintance, with one big caveat. As previously stated, if I know, or have reason to know they would object, then IMO common courtesy would then dictate that I either leave my gun at home or in my car or decline the invitation.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    So, if someone is the type that doesn't tell anyone that they CCW, but their wife, then are they never to enter any one else's home?

I couldn't even count the number of homes of friends and family that I have carried in, without them knowing.

I don't ask if it is ok that I have a knife in my pocket, why is a firearm any different? I do not put firearms on a pedestal. They are tools that responsible individuals carry everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    As previously stated, if I know, or have reason to know they would object, then IMO common courtesy would then dictate that I either leave my gun at home or in my car or decline the invitation.
    I concur.

Senior Moderator
    I think Ron is right.

If you know your friend is against alcoholic beverages you don't walk into his house carrying a six pack of Bud.

If my friends come over to my house I expect them to not smoke in my house.

If I knew a friend of mine didn't want guns in thier house I wouldn't carry there.

That is what I think the Captain and everyone else is calling common courtesy
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links