Well, this bites

Well, this bites

This is a discussion on Well, this bites within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was informed that I am being shipped to Iowa for training at the end of February. As far as I know the company is ...

Angry Well, this bites

I was informed that I am being shipped to Iowa for training at the end of February.

As far as I know the company is renting us a car so the four of us can drive up

Nebraska and Iowa do no recognize Colorado's permit, nor the typical Florida or Utah. Nebraska does not honor anyones.

Looks like the baby stays home.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Moderator
    I feel your pain, brother. I fly out to California on Monday for a week.

Even if California honored my permit, none of my carry guns has a magazine capacity <= 10.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Iowa in February...BRRRR! The snow comes down sideways in that part of the country.

Distinguished Member
    Nebraska is OC if that helps you out. If you decide to OC stay out of Omaha, permit is needed to OC. Enjoy your time in NE as you travel through.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I would at least bring it and leave it in a bag- better than nothing. I'm in MN where last night it was -52 wind chill- oh yeah that's cold- I'm not sure Iowa gets that cold.

I briefly thought of following the OC rules, but as I will be going up with coworkers that are otherwise ignorant of my status, that rules that out. Since the company is driving us rather than flying us, we will more than likely be sharing a hotel room so I am edgy about that let alone leaving her in the hotel room.

How does the law in those two states (preferably someone who lives there) regard OC with a coat on or a flannel over shirt?

IWB with the shirt tucked in behind the holster (Virgina Tuck)?

Do I need a permit or license to OC, or must be resident?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Where in Iowa??

Remember all 99 counties in Iowa have a different slant to the laws, it is up to the sheriff of each county, but open carry is not allowed within any city limits.

Where in Iowa will you be going? Yes it will still be cold in Frebruary.. how cold?? Depends, it is Iowa in the winter... -20 to - 30 wind chills at night are not unheard of... again it depends on where in the state you will be.

I am interested in moving to Colorado... Colorado Springs is where I am looking..
    Last edited by IowaWalker; January 31st, 2008 at 12:15 PM.

VIP Member
    Take in a locked case for your room.

VIP Member

Iowa is generally safe

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I was informed that I am being shipped to Iowa for training at the end of February.

As far as I know the company is renting us a car so the four of us can drive up

Nebraska and Iowa do no recognize Colorado's permit, nor the typical Florida or Utah. Nebraska does not honor anyones.

Looks like the baby stays home.

Iowa, at least in the DesMoines area is generally fairly safe. Stuff can happen anywhere, but the only real threat you are likely to face is sub zero weather and a lot of snow.

VIP Member
    It's a good opportunity to sharpen your situational awareness and other skills and gives you a chance to think about other defensive tactics and weapons! This is a good thing!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    I have family in Iowa, and I've even lived there for a short stint in the N.E. part of the state. They just had a blizzard on Tues... Iowa can be a weird state, some places its like you just stepped out of a time machine arriving in 1950, and other places it just like any other modern place, and it is true that each county is completly different on ccw than the next. Good thing is, on a whole, it is a pretty much safe place to be with a few exceptions.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links