MN Rocks

This is a discussion on MN Rocks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm new to this carry thing (about 2 months) but I'm quickly learning that MN has some of the best carry laws in the ...

Thread: MN Rocks

MN Rocks

So I'm new to this carry thing (about 2 months) but I'm quickly learning that MN has some of the best carry laws in the country. The 2 biggest ones that I know of are that I can carry in restaurants that serve alcohol (don't worry I'm not going to drink but even Chipotle serves beer)- and I don't have to tell friends when I come over that I'm carrying. :) These are stupid laws that make me glad I live in MN- even though it was -52 wind chill last night :)

2. Remove Ads

I agree completely.

1. You can carry at the State Capitol with just notification once to the MN State Patrol so you can lobby for your rights for the duration of your permit.
    2. We have a Carry Permit that does not require concealment at all.
    3. Any institution in MN that accepts money from the state can't post to ban carry.
    4. You can carry unlimited number of pistols.
    5. No tying of your permit to any pistols you own or limited to.
    6. You can carry on colleges and Universities... Students and staff have to follow rules of the colleges unless they are willing to be fired or kicked out.
    7. You can carry in public or private schools with approval in writing of the Principle or Superintendent.
    8. Any landlord can not ban possession or carry of guns on their property by tenants. Due to our state constitution makes it explicitly clear that anything legal can be banned by a landlord for its tenants. So any mall that posts is a joke and half have removed the worthless signs!

Only down side right now is reciprocity mess with only 15 states approved to carry in our state and ~ same to carry in other states.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Georgia must win for being the worst. How many people have been gunned down by permit holders at universities, colleges or restaurants that serve alcohol in MN? Is there any stats? I would love to send them to our GA government. We have a bill in the house that would do away with the public gathering clause that keeps us from many places - including restaurants that serve alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    I agree completely.

1. You can carry at the State Capitol with just notification once to the MN State Patrol so you can lobby for your rights for the duration of your permit.
    2. We have a Carry Permit that does not require concealment at all.
    3. Any institution in MN that accepts money from the state can't post to ban carry.
    4. You can carry unlimited number of pistols.
    5. No tying of your permit to any pistols you own or limited to.
    6. You can carry on colleges and Universities... Students and staff have to follow rules of the colleges unless they are willing to be fired or kicked out.
    7. You can carry in public or private schools with approval in writing of the Principle or Superintendent.
    8. Any landlord can not ban possession or carry of guns on their property by tenants. Due to our state constitution makes it explicitly clear that anything legal can be banned by a landlord for its tenants. So any mall that posts is a joke and half have removed the worthless signs!

Only down side right now is reciprocity mess with only 15 states approved to carry in our state and ~ same to carry in other states.
    Colorado is close. Number 1 and 7 are not true for us. I think they just shoot people in Colorado if you bring a firearm to the State Cap.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Its nice to see that MN has improved greatly since I used to live there. At least as far as gun rights. The cold was just too much for me though. I could never get over the fishing villages on the lake ice in the winter.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I also grew up in MN. Lived in the Twins until I was 12. Remember the humidity, cold winters and the state bird; the mosquito I do miss the fishing though...

Did not realize they were so flexible on carrying. Good for you, bad for BG's (and anti's).
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

They didn't have many cc permits when I lived in Minnesota 11 years ago. I visited a high elevation town today that had alot of snow. Thats all I have to do when I start thinking that I might move back. I can live with traffic on 94 , the mosquitos , the humidity, just can't do with the extreme cold weather trying to kill you.

ree
    Hear, hear!

We also we have great posting rules, favoring permit holders: decriminalizing passage of the signs and mandating a lesser misdemeanor ticket instead of a full blown trespass for any moron permit holder who refuses to leave a properly posted area after being made and asked to leave.

Here is a link to an overview put together by a major permit training organization.

http://www.madfi.org/post/fact_sheet.pdf
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

It is pretty frustrating to live in North Dakota and not be able to carry (due to reciprocity) if I'm in Fargo and jump over to Moorhead; and better not think of going to the cities or plan a trip to "THE MALL"
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    It is pretty frustrating to live in North Dakota and not be able to carry (due to reciprocity) if I'm in Fargo and jump over to Moorhead; and better not think of going to the cities or plan a trip to "THE MALL"
    Get a UT CFP. It's recognized in MN.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Get a UT CFP. It's recognized in MN.
    Or just get a MN carry permit by taking the class from several trainers in Alexandra, Fargo or Grand Forks. I will PM you some instructors and locations if you want.

I picked up a NH carry permit so I could carry in ND!
    MNBurl

Minnesota is nice, especially since you honor Michigan's again.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    But...but....what about all of those mass school shootings we keep hearing about in Minnessota?

Oh, wait.....
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

My wife is from MN, the about 60 miles north of Brainerd. What I can't get over is the amount of laws that the democrats have passed over the years dealing with what you can do on your own property. I'm shocked at how great you say their carry laws are. Living in Oklahoma I thought we had it good but from a carry point of view you beat us hands down. We cannot carry in any school, College, university or even trade school. Now if I wanted to build a barn or a house on my place here we've got you beat. I don't even need a building permit if you live in the country. Our hunting laws are much easier here then up there. I'm glad to see they are coming around.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Links