Louisiana carry questions

This is a discussion on Louisiana carry questions within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need a little help from our La. carriers: The wife and I are heading to La. for Mardi Grais and to visit family for a ...

Thread: Louisiana carry questions

Louisiana carry questions

Need a little help from our La. carriers:

The wife and I are heading to La. for Mardi Grais and to visit family for a few days. I've checked into carry/travle laws going through FL, AL, MS, and LA. I've gone to the LA state police web site for info on carry laws and that's a good site BTW (no carry at parades). My question stems from the lack of 'plain english' WRT carry in restraunts where booz is served. I'm not going to drink alcohol but from what I've read through searches the past couple of days carry is OK as long as I'm not sitting in the 'bar' area and the establishment generates 51% or more of it's revenue from food.

Am I correct in reading this? La.'s class I and II alcohol licences arn't easy to interpret either. Thanks Guys
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

It is my understanding that you can carry in restaurants however bars and liquor stores are prohibited. The easy way to check for that is see is there is a sign at the door that you must be 21 to enter. If there is a sign then chances are it is a prohibited area. If it is a restaurant that also serves people under 21 then you are ok. Btw carrying at parades that require a permit are also prohibited in La. I take that to mean mardis gras parades in New Orleans.
    Have fun and stay safe.

You may want to check out this website

Handgunlaw.us
    For info on firearm laws

New Orleans Citizen Crime Watch
    And this one for crimes, that are happening in New Orleans

I just checked and the police seem to be getting a better handle on armed assaults, and armed muggings.

However, I still went ahead and canceled our New Years trip because the crime rate was at the time still way out of line, and I did not want to get involved in having to defend myself.

And when I canceled my reservations at Emeralds, (for New Years Eve) and our campground, I informed them of why. Both said they understood, and the campground offered that the muggings seem to only be a problem late at night, and that crime was hurting everyone business. And the campground also added that they had 24 hour security.

I use to live near New Orleans back in the last 70ís and early 80ís and so I use to go there for dinner very often, and went once for Mardi Grais. I use to be a Deputy in Florida but back then there was no official recpt, but I always carried anyway.

I now live about 9 hours away in Florida, but my wife loves NO so we try to go about every other year. The food is wonderful, and I enjoy walking Duval Street at night.

While Iíve never had anyone try to mug me, I have had seedy looking people approach me and ask what time it is, do I have a dollar I can spare etc. Every time that happened it was on a side street when we where trying to go to and from our Hotel.

Most are just panhandlers, and if ya keep walking and pay them no attention, you should be fine. But from my experience back then and my last visit three years ago I would not go without being armed 24/7.

After 9 pm, stay on the busy streets. If you check out the crime watch website, youíll see that all the crimes happen later at night and on side streets.

Have fun

You can carry in a restrarant just not in the bar area. If they allow smoking inside no can carry there.

Thanks for the replies! The "over 21" and "smoking allowed" are great 'catchs' to gauge weather I can go in heeled.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

We just did this subject on a local forum for Louisiana.

Negative on any establishment that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.

Open carry in restaurants - BayouShooter.com Forums

Open carry and concealed carry laws are effectively the same on this subject.

Links