Unload for the car?

Unload for the car?

This is a discussion on Unload for the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you unload when you leave your gun in the car? My concern is constantly rechambering the same round- even if I rotate a bit ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unload for the car?

Unload for the car?

Do you unload when you leave your gun in the car? My concern is constantly rechambering the same round- even if I rotate a bit that is a pain.

No, I don't. I figure the more I fart knock around with it, the more something could happen. I just put it in the glove box, however, this is a condition that very rarely happens.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I used to always. Now only sometimes. It is a pain and makes it harder to be discreet in busy parking lots. I hate the idea thought that if someones steals my car they will also get a loaded gun, but there is a big part of me that blames the antis and their no-carry zones. I guess thats the wrong attitude. There is no more secure place for my gun than on my hip.

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    No, I don't. I figure the more I fart knock around with it, the more something could happen. I just put it in the glove box, however, this is a condition that very rarely happens.
    Good point also. It can be difficult to keep it pointed in a safe direction in a car.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    State law mandates that "transporting" any gun in MA must be done unloaded.

So although "storage" of a loaded gun (as long as it is locked in a case or trunk) is legal, one could get charged with "transporting" by an unfriendly . . . therefore it is most prudent to unload and lock up in MA wrt vehicles.

No.

that depends,my car i have a lock box so i just put it in there.
    if i'm in my wifes car i unload it and use mag.well cable and
    lock it to seat frame.great hideing place.
    gun is unloaded in lock box also.
    Last edited by glock27mark; January 31st, 2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

NO not safe to chamber a round in a car, and what for?

I can see not beneficial reason to unload.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    State law mandates that "transporting" any gun in MA must be done unloaded.

So although "storage" of a loaded gun (as long as it is locked in a case or trunk) is legal, one could get charged with "transporting" by an unfriendly . . . therefore it is most prudent to unload and lock up in MA wrt vehicles.
    Hopefully that means just transporting, and not carrying. That would really suck, especially if you use a tuckable.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Wear is not really an issue when chambering the cartridge, but some rounds without a tight crimp may have their bullets pressed deeper into the cartridge. Do this far enough and there will be a rise in pressure when firing. I have never seen this with commercial ammo, but it's maybe a good idea to keep an eye on it.

You can measure it with a micrometer, or in a pinch put the suspect round vertically in between 2 new rounds on a flat table and put a ruler on top. if there is any gap, your bullet setback has changed and it might be wise to scrap the round.

store both the gun and the ammo in a clean place to avoid introducing any grit'
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

If I must leave it in the car I just handcuff it to the seat post. I will also dechamber a round just in case in reaching for the pistol my finger accidently hit the boom maker!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Nope. Always in a ready condition. I always keep one in my "secret" compartment in my truck, ready to go even when I am carrying. If I have to retreive it in a SHTF situation, I want to be able to pull the trigger and have it go "BOOM".

My rifle, however, is unloaded.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Yes, I unload my gun if I have to leave it in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by NRATodd View Post
    Do you unload when you leave your gun in the car? My concern is constantly rechambering the same round- even if I rotate a bit that is a pain.
    My main concern is that if my vehicle is stolen I am not giving a crook a loaded gun too. I put the mag and round in my pocket. When I return I aim the gun in a safe direction, insert the mag. and chamber a round. I don't understand your problem with "re-chambering the same round". What does it matter if it is the same round or a different one?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I don't understand your problem with "re-chambering the same round". What does it matter if it is the same round or a different one?
    It can cause the bullet to be pushed back into the brass, it's called setback. As the bullet gets pushed back, pressures increase when fired...this can cause problems, not a good thing. You can keep using the same cartridge, but you have to be mindful of this. If you see it happening, discard the bullet it might be unsafe to fire.

"setback" shown in a .357 sig

Thanks for this infomation.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    It can cause the bullet to be pushed back into the brass, it's called setback. As the bullet gets pushed back, pressures increase when fired...this can cause problems, not a good thing. You can keep using the same cartridge, but you have to be mindful of this. If you see it happening, discard the bullet it might be unsafe to fire.

"setback" shown in a .357 sig
    I rarely have to leave my gun locked in the car but I will keep this in mind in the future.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    My main concern is that if my vehicle is stolen I am not giving a crook a loaded gun too. I put the mag and round in my pocket. When I return I aim the gun in a safe direction, insert the mag. and chamber a round. ?
    That's exactly what I do and for the same reason. Just image some teens looking for a joy ride and find a loaded gun and someone gets seriously injured. I'm not sure what our liability might be. Reckless endangerment comes to mind.

I don't understand your problem with "re-chambering the same round". What does it matter if it is the same round or a different one?
    There is a real problem here. Most guns will cause setback. Many won't believe that because they've never noticed it. But it was discovered on another forum that Sig Sauer will not honor the warranty if they find a round has been chambered more than once. Now how they'd every know, I don't know, but the real point is that Sig recognizes that chambering a round more than once can cause serious setback.

Not long ago I found two rounds in my M&P mag that had noticeable setback. I ran some tests and every time the round is chambered it gets a little setback and it accumulates. I tested several different guns and found some degree of setback in all of them.

So I immediately stopped rechambering rounds, well in the conventional sense. Now when I rechamber, I lock the slide back and insert a round into the chamber, release the slide, decock or apply the safety as required by the particular gun, and then insert the mag.

Some claim this is hard on the extractor, but I haven't seen any problems yet. I intend to continue this method to see if I develop extractor problems.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links