I just had the most interesting telephone interview

This is a discussion on I just had the most interesting telephone interview within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Short story long, my current contract as a software developer MAY be ending in mid-February. So I am kind of sort of looking. I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just had the most interesting telephone interview

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Short story long, my current contract as a software developer MAY be ending in mid-February. So I am kind of sort of looking. I have put my resume on Monster and answered a few ads on Craig's List.

So this one HR lady calls me. I am not 100% sure how this happened, but as we were making small talk at the beginning of the conversation, guns came up. She brought it up. She is talking about her Sig P220, how she carries SOB blah, blah, blah. After she finishes, I add, “So then it is OK to carry concealed at work then, right?”

What she said next was encouraging. She said that the official policy is no weapons. BUT, she asked her boss if she could carry on the days she was going to be there late. He said OK, so she does. Turns out, he is also a shooter who has a permit. He (the boss) owns this small company and he wrote the no weapons policy. But the HR lady has been dropping hints that he may want to revisit that policy. The owner suggested that maybe they can change it to no ILLEGAL weapons.

We will see how the rest of the interview process goes, but I may like working for this company.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    We will see how the rest of the interview process goes, but I may like working for this company.
    Very nice! Good luck!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

OD*
    That's encouraging.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Making a corporate rule against 'illegal guns' doesn't make much sense to me either. Is there also a corporate rule against murdering your boss, or stealing gas out of the cars in the lot?

If a guy is breaking the law, you hardly need a corporate rule to get rid of the guy. How about a corporate rule on lawbreaking in general. That way you cover all your bases.

IT hiring (at least in my field) is stronger than it has been since about 1999. Took me about thirty days to find a position I was happy with. Hope you find the same.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Good luck to you! Sounds like a decent enough place to work.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    Making a corporate rule against 'illegal guns' doesn't make much sense to me either.
    I think what she was trying to promote was that weapons are not allowed, but if you have a CHL, then you would legally be able to carry. Something like that.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Good luck! That sounds like it may be a good place.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    A telephone interview with a potentially pro-gun company sounds like it answers the problem of carrying to the interview...

Good luck with this!

Edit: Uh, wait... She carries a P220? Somebody forget to tell her that is definitely not on the approved list of chick guns!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Sounds great.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sounds like a great place. Do they need an IT Director?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Hummm....I'll be devil's advocate since no one else mentioned any concerns...telephone interview from a monster posting resume...she (HR lady) brings up guns, proceeds to tell you all about hers...not know you one bit...hummm. The hairs on the back of my neck would tingle...

I would of played neutral...lots of interviews are baiting...besides, how do you really know who she is or where she or her company stands?

Rick

I agree with cmidkiff on the silliness of the written policy on "illegal" guns. In actuality I find most written policy or legislation concerning guns incredibly naive (eg. Gun-Free Zones) and most are written out of fear or ignorance that they will actually prevent crimes, accidents, etc.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Hummm....I'll be devil's advocate since no one else mentioned any concerns...telephone interview from a monster posting resume...she (HR lady) brings up guns, proceeds to tell you all about hers...not know you one bit...hummm. The hairs on the back of my neck would tingle...

I would of played neutral...lots of interviews are baiting...besides, how do you really know who she is or where she or her company stands?

Rick
    Good point. But she knew guns. She knew about the local gun club. Knew lots of websites like AR15.com. I told her about DC, so we should have a new member.

But caution would be advised.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    well good luck to you...and with at least three CPL holders in the company...the odds are swinging in your favor.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    Interesting but I still say... ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links