Other threats than 2 legged?

This is a discussion on Other threats than 2 legged? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We tend maybe to be most concerned - probably for obvious reasons - that we carry because of a possible armed threat. Gun, knife, in ...

Thread: Other threats than 2 legged?

Assistant Administrator

We tend maybe to be most concerned - probably for obvious reasons - that we carry because of a possible armed threat. Gun, knife, in fact any potentially lethal force directed at us.

I do tho have a small portion of my carry also because of four legged threats. Could even be in a low threat area like mine - this could be just as valid a reason.

I am still not looking for trouble anywhere any time but - there is always the chance of a dog attack as well as occasional rabid coon or similar that needs ''dealt with''.

You folks - similar?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I wouldn't say it's out of the question. I've seen deer, raccoons, and possums on my doorstep. But it's nothing I can't scare away... unless it's rabid. A rabid animal is my main concern.

Luckily the local wildlife here isn't too beefy. Any typical CCW pistol would make short work of such a threat. But to be honest, I'd rather pin it down with a stick or use something besides a gun. The threat of hitting a bystander is significant. The other thing that worries me is shooting at a downwards angle onto a hard surface like pavement.

When I walk/hike I take a stick with me just to avoid this problem. And if it's out of the city, I CCW my .44 Magnum which should make very short work of anything out there.

OTOH if it's attacking me, odds are pretty good a gun is the best thing I have.

Dogs are a lot of what i worry about for non 2 leeged fiends bear somewhat while im up north.

Out once with my Dad and a friend... Ran into a wounded (?) coyote in the field. I was startled to see him and something sure wasn't right. Anyway he gave some evil looks toward my friend (none of us was over 15 feet away). He did not run but looked as though he was about to attack my friend.

My Dad (who often says that my CCWing could only lead to trouble) immediately yelled at me to "take him out" since he knows I ALWAYS CARRY.

I already had a firing grip on my shoulder holstered auto. 1 shot to the head was followed by low ready. He was immobile and on the ground but I saw no wound. Of course when we got closer I realized that his other side (where the hollowpoint exited) showed great damage.

I had previously NEVER shot at anything in any kind of defensive situation before. Fortunately I HAD a weapon when I needed it only because I am SO afraid of Mr. Murphy! (You know.. I'll never need a CCW until the day I don't carry one!)

Anyway, everything turned out OK. Maybe it would have anyway. It makes me feel better that I WAS prepared in this case though.

Been bit by a stray cat, did end up shooting it (it was run over and was going to die) and then got rabie shots.

But, you're right. You have to be prepared to use the CCW for any threat, 2 or 4 legged.

Sometimes nice doggie ain't so nice. And when a coon, cat or fox (in Oregon) attacks, it just ain't right.

But I can't foresee toting a shotgun around all the time at night, cause it's the winged kind that carry more of the rabies around these parts (Skeet anyone ).

Wayne

sm
    Chris as you know I do some Critter Control from time to time.

Out on the farms and such Rabid Critters do show up. Oh they are here in the city, just not legal to go shooting them as one can out in the country.

Raccoons, skunks are one thing. Dogs - like a pack of dogs are another. Now I practice the Tueller drill with handgun and shotgun. There is a HUGE difference in the Target version with known range and travel. Live Critters don't know about Tueller. Live critters do not know about calibers, gauges, ballistics and such. Live Critters don't know they are "supposed" to react like the gun magazines, advertising, or ammo boxes say they are supposed to.

A pack of dogs can appear from nowhere. Rabid ones are quite unpredictable.

I am a big proponent of slugs in shotguns. I am chided for being Practical, not tactical. My shotguns are bone stock. I have "fired a few" shotgun rounds in my lifetime.

My scariest Tueller was in the back area of a Farm, visiting with a family, visiting, and talking about the recent pack of dogs acting rabid 'down the way'. I'm standing there with a shotgun, my CCW. Most others were armed as well. This is out in the country afterall - what one does.

That lead dog made a beeline toward a 3 year old drinking from her Tippy cup, I snagged that child up and fired one handed with a bone stock 870 with 28" bbl. Thank goodness that child had instintively put her hands over her ears. The child had been raised around guns. Screaming, squirming, hands over ears and her heels kicking, eyes wide with fear of that dog...a 12 ga slug works at 5 steps. [ yeah close I'll say]. I had already pumped one handed , ejecting and chambering another slug when other shots rang out from the farm folks toward the next dog. The Grandma came and took the child from me.

Yes I felt really bad and scared for the kids ears. She did have them checked and the Dr. said all was well. Hands over ears [thankfully] and turning towards my back was a good thing.

Mine [ears]rang for a bit. I admit I did not take time to put my plugs in. I was nearest the child, leaning against a truck. Everyone else was sitting and further away. I did what I felt was the right thing.

Another lesson I learned from the others, getting out of a light lawn chair is not easy or fast. Sidearms get hung up and folks cannot draw as well while sitting.

I was even forgiven for busting that Tippy Cup when I stepped on it. Child finally calmed down. I apologized. Grandma had consoled and comforted the child while the rest of us took care of business. Seeing her smile and getting a hug let me know all was right with the child. She still remembers it, not in a bad way . Still not too fond of big black dogs though. Her new puppy was Chocolate. Good looking Lab and her bestest friend.
    Use Enough Gun

Lead Moderator
    I live in N. Lwr MI. Not many wild creatures to worry about up here and I am in the woods alot. Some bears, coyotes, fox ect, ect., but they shy away at human contact. My .40 should do the trick for any dogs that threaten me.

Assistant Administrator
    Ahhh Steve - the ubiquitous slug. Has to be one of the best options. I would tote my 870 around way more if it was smaller - because I share the liking for the platform re defensive useage.

However - it just sits next to me here by puter - and it'll usually only be Mr SIG on board. I'll remember your Tueller comments tho!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    You guys are going to laugh, but when we lived in upstate New York, we were attacked by a beaver (four-legged).

I was in the house one summer evening. It had been pretty warm so all of the windows were open. All of a sudden I hear a lot of frantic yelling from our hired hand, who was a stoner. I look out the window and find him running across the barn lot like something is after him but I can't tell what. I run out and immediately see him run past our back porch being chased by a big old ratty looking beaver. I stepped in, picked up the .22 rifle and went back out. After putting one through his head and stopping it, I walked out to where the shook up guy was trying to get his wind back. According to him, he was taking a walk on the river when beaver lit into him, chasing him all the way back to the house (about 50 yards). He was afraid to go in the house and have the beaver, I dunno, "break in" and get the wife and kid, LOL. He knew I had guns so he thought his best bet was to get my attention.

On examination, the beaver's upper front teeth had grown through his bottom jaw and then curled in a weird pattern which basically locked up his mouth. He couldn't have bitten the guy if he would have had to. I think the poor thing was just out of it's mind in panic and starvation and probably, in general, pissed off. So, as funny as it sounds, a CCW permit would have been handy out in the wilds of upstate New York. You just never know what might get after you.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I would not hesitate to shoot a dog or other vicious animal if it was going to attack someone. Sometimes I get nervous about dogs when I take my goat for a walk. I always have pepper spray and my pistol when walking my goat. I would hate to shoot someones pet, but I would hate even more to see an innocent person or my goats get mauled.

Links