Texas Gun Laws Weak?The Brady Bunch speaks!

This is a discussion on Texas Gun Laws Weak?The Brady Bunch speaks! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mr.stuart With the recent crime here in southeast Texas the group says it's no wonder the state scored a nine out of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas Gun Laws Weak?The Brady Bunch speaks!

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    With the recent crime here in southeast Texas the group says it's no wonder the state scored a nine out of 100 for having a lack of gun laws.
    I love Texas, and now I have another reason to move back... Hey honey.. did you read this one?

TDPalmer

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

More laws???

Group Says Texas Gun Law Too Weak
    Reported by: Ericka English
    Friday, Feb 1, 2008 @05:52pm CST

The Texas Chapter of the Brady Campaign is pushing for more laws .
    More laws?
    My copy of Texas Concealed Handgun Laws and Selected Statutes 2007-2008 runs 71 pages of fine print. Even the banks and credit card companies get there "gotchas" in to contracts in half the number of pages.

But, Brady is right: We need a couple more pages of more laws in there. Ones that nullify about 58 pages of the existing 71.

It should boil down to this: keep the licensing process; remove restrictions on hospital, church, school carriage; add open carry as O.K.; make unlicensed possession in the car more clearly legal by decoupling from travel issues, stronger stand your ground.

With regard to the latter, if the guy on the receiving end has served time for a felony, the presumption should be that the shooting was justified unless there is stingent evidence of malevolent intent on the part of the license holder.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I think Kentucky was graded an F- by the Brady Bunch.... I'm so happy I'm tearin up.... Sniff.
    I know. Hopefully House Bill 114 will pass. Then we will score the lowest on the list.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Unlicensed carry inside vehicles has already been "decoupled" from "traveling." Notably, though, only the vehicle owner is clearly able to carry inside his motor vehicle, and the weapon must be concealed. (A passenger needs to have a CHL to be legal.) As always, when making statements like this, I must say I am not a lawyer, though I do wear an LE badge, and please do look it up for yourself and make an informed decision.

Note: I lived in Texas in the 1950's and 1960's.

the Brady questions is an incomplete list of PRO 2A, questions.

if the following questions were also asked several States including Texas would much higher ANTI 2A answers and several States including Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana would have much lower ANTI 2A answers.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/for...16.pdf#page=71

Handgunlaw.us

- Open carry allowed anytime - anyplace (except restricted fed property) - (Open carry not allowed in Texas)

- NRA firearms or NRA Home Firearms Safety or Private Facility training or Hunter Safety Certificate good enough for CWP (Texas requires a State Certified Instructor to instruct and requires qualification with one or both semi-auto and revolver depending on what one plans on carrying)

- Permit includes carrying Bowie knives, tomahawks, etc concealed - Montana allows to be carried if have a permit or performing an outdoor activity (Texas is a CHL - "Concealed Handgun" License "only")

- 18 years and older CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) (Texas 21 years and older for a CHL - Concealed Handgun License "only")

- limited to number of "weapons" or "handguns" to be carried - Texas only can carry a "handgun" - someone from Texas can answer this one - Limited to carrying just one handgun at a time or may someone carry two or more handguns at a time ??? - There is no limit in Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana.

VIP Member

Dang, I tried

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Unlicensed carry inside vehicles has already been "decoupled" from "traveling." Notably, though, only the vehicle owner is clearly able to carry inside his motor vehicle, and the weapon must be concealed. (A passenger needs to have a CHL to be legal.) As always, when making statements like this, I must say I am not a lawyer, though I do wear an LE badge, and please do look it up for yourself and make an informed decision.
    I sat on the throne for 45 minutes with the 2007-2008 handbook, and dang if I could find anything on this whatsoever. At my renewal class the instructor specifically said there is a misconception, and if you want to carry in your car you better be licensed. If you can direct me to the Chapter and Verse of the code, and the page number in the handbook, I'd appreciate it.

But even if you are spot on, fact is you can't leave the gun in the glove compartment when an unlicensed spouse or other is in the car. That is a big flaw in the law.

Like I said, the Brady folks are right. We need more laws; just not the ones they want. We need laws that will take about half that Texas Conealed Carry handbook and toss it; leaving in place a few clear cut one sentence statements.

1) A citizen may possess loaded guns in their home or car, concealed or otherwise, unless previously convicted of a felony or under a restraining order, or under indictment for a felony.

2) A citizen may conceal carry with a Concealed Handgun License anywhere not prohibited by Federal law (maybe I'd exclude commercial bars), unless premises are posted with a 3006 sign or a 51 sign.

3) Someone with a Concealed Handgun License must not intentionally display the weapon unless lethal force is necessary for their immediate personal safety, to prevent imminent harm to themselves or others, to prevent aggravated felonies, kidnaping, or sexual assault, or to prevent burglary of a habitation or vehicle.

4) Accidental weapons displays are subject to no more than a $50.00 fine, the proceeds of which shall buy pizza for officers who respond to a "man with a gun" call, if the person was licensed. The person calling the police shall be fined not less than $250.00.

We need to dump most of the laws in that handbook.

Check out Brady's grades for even the toughest states,they're only in the 60's! That should show that they want 100% confiscation of all privately owned arms.
    I couldn't pull up DC's grade,I kept getting a pop-up to donate to the Brady campaign. Maybe donate a whistle so they can guard their HQs from the BGs.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

M2
    It won't be in the concealed gun laws book because it doesn't apply to CHL holders. Read this and look at HB 1815. As of 1 Sept 2007, you can leave your weapon concealed in the car with your unlicensed spouse. And after the VT shootings, Gov Rick Perry spoke out on relaxing the restrictions for CHL holders. Unfortunately, nothing further has progressed since his statements.

Overall, I am happy I live in a state that the Brady Bozos hate! God Bless Texas!

Cheers! M2

VIP Member

No limit in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Note: I lived in Texas in the 1950's and 1960's.

limited to number of "weapons" or "handguns" to be carried - Texas only can carry a "handgun" - someone from Texas can answer this one - Limited to carrying just one handgun at a time or may someone carry two or more handguns at a time ??? -.
    In Texas, no limit. Do watch out if you live on the New Mexico border because I think there is a one gun limit there.

Brady ranking compares to Gun Crime according to the NRA-ILA

NRA-ILA :: Legislation

States with the lower Brady Grade have lower gun-crime rates.

More restrictions get you a better ranking, but result in more crime. Brady camp won't acknowledge that correlation. Funny how they didn't rank DC as having (potentially) the highest grade for the most restrictive anti-gun laws and owning the title a few years back as the murder capital of America.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Texas got a 9 I thought you guys were better than that.

Missouri got a 4 and tied for second to the last, which really pissed me off when I checked their state detail page for Missouri I found 2 errors which should have dropped us at least 2 points and a tie for last.
    Our legislature is in session now and we are diligently working for a 0 and the dead last position we rightfully deserve.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Group Says Texas Gun Law Too Weak
    They're right and I'm teeed about it. It's got to be corrected.

9 out of a 100 is way too high. I hope we can work it down to a 2 or a 3 soon.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

VIP Member

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It won't be in the concealed gun laws book because it doesn't apply to CHL holders. Read this and look at HB 1815. As of 1 Sept 2007, you can leave your weapon concealed in the car with your unlicensed spouse. And after the VT shootings, Gov Rick Perry spoke out on relaxing the restrictions for CHL holders. Unfortunately, nothing further has progressed since his statements.

Overall, I am happy I live in a state that the Brady Bozos hate! God Bless Texas!

Cheers! M2

Just read the stuff at the link you provided. Quite helpful.

Taken from Colorado's rating

LIMITS ON CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS
    May police limit carrying concealed handguns? No

Colorado - State law forces police to let almost anyone carry a concealed handgun in public, posing a dangerous threat to police and public safety.
    Misinformation if I ever heard it.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

M2
    The Texas Department of Public Safety, which issues CHLs, publishes Demographic and Statistical Information on all CHL holders for the past three years, which prove that the chances of a CHL holder committing a crime are significantly less than the average citizen. You can view the 2007 stats here, which blows .44 magnum-sized holes in the Brady Bozos allegations that issuing concealed carry licenses results in increased crime.

Some people just have a hard time accepting the facts!

Cheers! M2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links