What do you depend on ?

What do you depend on ?

This is a discussion on What do you depend on ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a general question here. Now days more than ever everyone seems to want the 1,000 or more pistola or a 400.00 knife. What ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you depend on ?

I have a general question here. Now days more than ever everyone seems to want the 1,000 or more pistola or a 400.00 knife. What ever happend to the basics a good pistol that fires every time regardless of brand and you can handle it well. A good knife that you can use to peel apples and help your son or grandson complete his derby car for scouts. Thus, if you really think about it you can have the greatest equipment in the world but if you don't have the knowledge, mind set and will to use it you are just as dead as the next man.

Specifically, do you feel more safe carrying a Wilson 1911 or your basic Springfield Milspec that fires consistently, do you feel safer carrying your super custom blade or your basic Gerber from Wally world because if it does go down will you really have time to announce the brand you are packing. "Oh excuse me Mr. Killer I have a Wilson 1911 Custom so if I were you I would stop attacking me now." I guess I am naive but I still believe that unless it is my time that a well trained good guy will and can over come a bad guy any day.

Guys and Gals lets dedicate our self to training with what works regardless and of name brand and maker, and place our faith in the Good Lord above, and believe that if necessary he will give us the strength and the courage to breath, relax and squeeze if needed.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLion
    Guys and Gals lets dedicate our self to training with what works regardless and of name brand and maker, and place our faith in the Good Lord above, and believe that if necessary he will give us the strength and the courage to breath, relax and squeeze if needed.
    I concur sir. The trouble is I think, and I'm speaking for myself here, we get so worried about the gadget aspects of this whole thing we forget that simply preparing our minds and bodies to be able to pull the trigger if something happens is what is paramount.

It's true that all the skill in the world is in vain if an angel pisses into the lock of your musket, but rock solid reliable guns can be had for a lot less money than I used to think.

Knives are funny. See guns follow a most logical trend for the most part. With very few exceptions, anything actually useable starts at $200 and something that crosses the threshold into your more effective handguns happens at $350, then it just gets slightly better and slightly better at every $50 increment from there on end. But knives are weird. An $8 Mora is far better than a $25 Made in China special. I've had $65 knives that were worse than $10 knives, and better than some $100+ knives. Some of the best knives are among the cheapest, and some of the worst knives are among the most expensive.

i feel comfortable carrying what ever i know works weather its 250 like my colt cobra 38 or my 2 800 Springer loaded 1911 i know they work so i carry them .. havent bought anything to cost me over 1k yet so cant comment on that

Not even your Snake collection Bud?

well together of course there over 1k but not apart havent paid over 1k for any 1 gun i own not even my ar

Administrator

My Opinion

Well, this is America:unitedsta (The Greatest Country On The Planet) & we do have serious & talented "Carry People" here that can afford to carry exactly what they want to carry & that is perfectly fine with me.
    I think it's just fine if an individual wants to carry an extra nice super high quality or custom built firearm. It can only benefit the shooter if they feel "as one as possible" with their carry firearm & trust it 100%.
    Some shooters honestly do reach a skill level where they desire certain idiosyncratic custom modifications that will "make up" their PERFECT individual carry handgun. I think that is great. Is it absolutely necessary? For sure it is not.
    There are some real Junque handguns floating around & I don't anybody should carry those. People should carry (at least) the highest quality firearm that they can afford to buy & afford to practice with.
    How ever far they want to go "above and beyond that point" should be up to the individual...and their personal pocketbook.
    Remember that MANY of the great improvements that we have on the STANDARD firearms of today STARTED OUT as true custom modifications on higher priced custom handguns. Those modifications "filtered down" to BOX STOCK handguns & to the benefit of ALL less wealthy handgun buyers.

Concerning knives...in my opinion - same deal - carry (at least) a good quality knife & as far as you want to take it...go there...if you can afford it.
    What a TOTALLY boring world it would be if everybody only had the chance to buy what was absolutely "basic and functional."

It would be like Communist Russia here.
    "Comrade...Same Refrigerator For Everybody...Keeps Food Cold...What More You Need?"

Assistant Administrator
    I certainly don't think tricked out toys have any great advantage - tho it could be argued that hi-vis/night sights are a bonus - at a price of course.

My early carry was a used M85 Taurus snub - wife now keeps it for purse carry. If that still was all I had I'd not feel overly vulnerable.

Over time tho I have progressed and explored numerous platforms. The reason for my SIG choice, now daily carry - was purely based on function, ergonomics - plus adding my CT's and having night sights all made for a great package.

The downside was cost - I'd have liked to have got it way cheaper. So - the price was if you will the consequence - of purchasing what I had come to see as about my (personal) ultimate platform. Had I not had the cash then like as not I'd still be carrying the SP-101 - another way less costly option that I placed great reliance on.

Bottom line - as ever, and within personal fiscal constraints - what works for you And practice with that - a lot..... adding the most obvious caveat - it MUST go bang, every time!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I feel more comfortable carrying a pistol which is reliable and one that I'm not concerned with wear or cosmetic damage. An everyday carry pistol is going to get a significant amount of holster wear and is almost gauranteed to be dropped once or twice. Not to mention the fact that if you should happen to need to use it, it will be confiscated and possibly not returned for a length of time. I would also never spend more than $100 on a knife. A $40 pig sticker is fine for me. It will get the job done. No need to be flashy with something that most people shouldn't even know you're carrying.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Push comes to shove I'm grabbing my Ruger P95. I have higher dollar pistols, but it is the most reliable.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Remember that MANY of the great improvements that we have on the STANDARD firearms of today STARTED OUT as true custom modifications on higher priced custom handguns. Those modifications "filtered down" to BOX STOCK handguns & to the benefit of ALL less wealthy handgun buyers.
    QK I gotta disagree with you to a point.

We did not get internal locks from customs.

We did not get guns that won't fire without a magazine in them from customs.

We sure did not get MIM parts from customs.

And we didn't get loaded chamber indicators from them either.

Who has their gun customized to include any of these things?

No if anything our guns are being designed by Brady instead of Browning any more and the customs are going to eventually be what it takes to overcome that. I can't wait until a new sub $650 handgun has so many legally required "safety features" that it's not useable and the only game in town will be the used market and the high end custom market. Smart guns are going to be the norm here pretty soon and I refused to trust a grocery scanner with my life.

And it doesn't matter if only one state requires any of these features, because then the gunmakers make them all that way so they can sell to all 50 states without hassle.

The point being that the custom market, well I don't see it as having too much to do with the development of service pistols any more. If anything whatever Brady says our guns are going to look like, that's what determines what kinds of features most people's guns will have.

I think it's going to go the other way. I think the custom market is going to turn into people wanting their guns back to "stock" instead of people taking regular "stock" guns and making them better.

Already there's a sizable demand for someone to be able to customize certain guns to disable these ridiculous features and someone is going to start cashing in on it if they haven't already. I'm surprised some after market company isn't making new, hole-less sideplates for Smith and Wesson revolvers.

Looks like I am ranting incohrently again. It actually saddens me to think that in 10 years, people might well drool over guns because they have been custom modified to lack features instead of having features.

sm
    What do you depend on ?
    Awareness.
    Training.

Prefer a Bone stock Gov't 1911 or OLDer blued K frame. I'd much rather tote a bone stock 870 with slugs than a handgun...

Then again it is the archer not the arrow.

I wear tennis shoes most times...beat feet not a bad option...
    Use Enough Gun

OD*
    I would rather have a $600 Colt Gov't. (insert your favorite brand here) that works 100% of the time than a $2000 "whatever" that works 98% of the time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Administrator

I'm Thinking More Like

We did get DAO pistols - We did get checkered front straps - We did get drop in trigger jobs - We did get better barrels - We did get HD extractors - We did get custom & better sights - We did get aluminum triggers - We did get opened up magazine wells - We did get factory lowered ejection ports - We did get better magazine followers - We did Get Extended slide releases - We did get Ambi safeties - We did get compact pistol versions - We did get higher quality parts (like the bullet proof parts) - We did get drop-free mags -
    We did get (usually) better grips - We did get (yuk) full length guide rods - We did get factory reconfigured frames that allow the pistol to sit lower in the hand - We got serrated slide tops - Front slide serrations (another yuk that some people love) - We got factory barrel throat jobs - Now we have revolvers reintroduced with Color Case Hardened frames which was Strictly Custom for a very long time - Euclidean...I really have not even really thought HARD about it yet & I came up with the above. Cripes...The ONLY REASON Gun Makers are producing factory short barreled versions of magnum revolvers was a direct result of Custom Smiths chopping down the traditional long barreled factory standard versions.
    The only reason gun makers ever saw a market for kick butt HOT & Heavy revolvers configured in small tight packages is because savvy early custom smiths were doing High Dollar Conversions rechambering, rebarreling & modifying existing anemic revolvers into custom carry packages.
    Custom smiths started melting & radiusing hard edges to make an overall smoother carry gun & now "some" wise gun makers are doing that right at the factory. They SURE ARE doing that (at least) with rear sights.
    I could go on & on.
    Last edited by QKShooter; August 28th, 2005 at 11:54 PM.

Yeah I know but I was ranting incoherently. Everything that we take for granted now comes from something that used to be super expensive. Cell phones, linerlock knives, personal computers...

I just need to rant about something that makes me angry...

But every time I hear about something new and great my first thought is "Swell, that'll be illegal by the time it filters down to me..."

Administrator

Euclidean

Oh no...We're BOTH Right! How can that be?
    Along with the good (For Sure) comes some bad.
    I am not happy about some of the things I see happening to handguns, rifles, AND Shotguns.
    That is sad.

And...Yes, Why DOES all of the fun stuff hafta be illegal.
    It's the old...If It's Fun...we don't want you to do it...routine!!
    Ya can't even legally shoot off fireworks in Pennsylvania anymore!
    Geesh...you gotta go watch somebody else get paid to set off fireworks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links