Rolled up on someone casing my friends car.

This is a discussion on Rolled up on someone casing my friends car. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night, a lady friend and myself met up to go see a movie and do some midnight bowling. Since both of us live in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolled up on someone casing my friends car.

Rolled up on someone casing my friends car.

Last night, a lady friend and myself met up to go see a movie and do some midnight bowling. Since both of us live in opposite directions outside of town, we agree to meet up and leave her car in the malls parking lot(well lit, right in front of a main street, patrolled pretty good). We got out, have a good time, and come back. Soon as I pull back into the parking lot we notice theres another car parked right next to hers, drivers side to drivers side. The other car was running, and there was a guy inside. I just drove up and parked right next to the guy in the car, looked over and smiled nonchalantly. Waited about 5 minutes for the guy to drive away before I let my friend out to her car. Parked where we were there was no reason for anyone else to be out there. It was 2:30am, and even when we left it there at around 9:30 there were no cars in the vicinity(way out in the lot, by the road under a light). I figure someone was after her car or planning on robbing it. Another reason I love this city.

On a side somewhat funny note, we made a joke out of it thinking he was probably after the catalitic converter so the joke was on him. Someone beat him to it, mid-December the same car was stolen for its converter, and found a few hours later along the freeway.

2. Remove Ads

Glad it all worked out for you. I probably would have parked a short distance behind the other vehicle. I think it would be easier to observe their actions rather than be five foot away on the side.
    Be Safe
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I would have parked a little farther away and called the police to report suspicious activity and given them the license number and description of the car and individuals in it.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Glad it worked out for ya.

In my younger “more stupid” days I would have walked over to the car and asked “What’s up Doc” but today, being older and wise enough to fear of getting shot, I would have parked behind the car and called 911 with the tag number.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Glad it worked out for ya.

In my younger “more stupid” days I would have walked over to the car and asked “What’s up Doc” but today, being older and wise enough to fear of getting shot, I would have parked behind the car and called 911 with the tag number.
    + 1 on both statements!

VIP Member
    I would have parked behind a couple of car lengths away and give him the high beam flashes plus the horn. But you did well on the location and having a plan to ensure the safety of your friend.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Parking in an empty lot just makes the car a target...

I too would of called to report mostly a crime...might of kept it happening to someone else...

Kudos on insuring her safety...

Rick

I came up on a guy who was casing my car about a year ago.

I was parked around the side of a convenience store - just stopped in for coffee and doughnuts - the place is very busy so I have to park out at the edge of their parking lot. I'm carrying under my suit jacket, BTW. I go in, get my coffee and doughnut and as walking back to my car there is this guy standing next to my driver's side car door with his face (almost) pressed up to the glass looking to see what's in my car.

When I'm about 30 feet behind him he sort of notices me but doesn't turn around. I'm 15 feet away still walking towards him I was about to stop say "keep moving" when the guy just walks away from the gas station w/o looking back. I went back into the convenience store to report that a thief os hanging around and I went on my way.
    Last edited by lance22; February 4th, 2008 at 06:43 PM.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
    Someone beat him to it, mid-December the same car was stolen for its converter, and found a few hours later along the freeway.
    That's the most baffling thing I've ever heard. Someone risked a charge like that to steal a part of another person's exhaust?

The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    That's the most baffling thing I've ever heard. Someone risked a charge like that to steal a part of another person's exhaust?

8 cars were stolen for there catalitic converters in 1 night. The price of the material inside of them them makes them a valuable target, and they are easy enough to remove.

8 cars were stolen for there catalitic converters in 1 night. The price of the material inside of them them makes them a valuable target, and they are easy enough to remove.
    I think they use platinum in the converters. They are VERY expensive to replace.

I think tns0038 had the right answer "park behind him" (a safer position than beside him, leave your headlights on high beam to make you harder for him to see you) "and call 911".
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arsaks4ever View Post
    I think they use platinum in the converters. They are VERY expensive to replace.
    Yes, platinum is what they use. If you ever replace a catalytic converter, make sure the garage that does the repair gives you credit for your old one. Even used, the platinum can be cleaned and is still worth between $50=$100 (or more) depending on the amount in your style converter.

It doesn't sound like this was the case with the OPs issue, but, as a side note: Someone looking at or into your car isn't a sure sign of a thief. There are several of us car lovers that will ogle a nice car. If I see a custom or classic, or even a nice new car, parked nearby, I will go take a look at it, and there are thousands, if not millions of guys that do the same thing. Check out the exterior, look inside at the dashboard, maybe check the mileage, and see how high the spedometer reads.

But there is a proper etiquette to this. First, you don't really do this after dark. It's just not smart. Second, you NEVER touch the car. If you get a fingerprint on the car, you'd better have a soft diaper with you to polish it off. Third, if anyone approaches, you comment on how beautiful the car is. If it's the owner, you hopefully can talk to him/her about the car for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I would have parked a little farther away and called the police to report suspicious activity and given them the license number and description of the car and individuals in it.
    Have to agree with Pitmaster's tactical plan!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Yeah I can understand that maybe it is valuable but... wow. That stuff is REALLY toxic!! 'Gutting a cat' isn't exactly the safest thing to do without a respirator and plenty of knowledge. Of course, if you're desperate enough to do that... I'm pretty sure you're not worried as much about your lungs as you are the needle marks on your arms.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links