Laws Reference Card - IMPORTANT

This is a discussion on Laws Reference Card - IMPORTANT within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There has been a lot of questions and great responses on this forum about where you aren't allowed to carry your weapon. To eliminate the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laws Reference Card - IMPORTANT

Laws Reference Card - IMPORTANT

There has been a lot of questions and great responses on this forum about where you aren't allowed to carry your weapon. To eliminate the guesswork in the future, I recommend that everyone do the following.

Make yourself a quick reference wallet card.

--On side one print out your state's laws where not to carry list. Located at:
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsA-M.pdf
    Go to your particular state's section, and print out the appropriate information. Some states will be easier than others, you may need to paste into word or do some editing to make it more consise. The important part is that you have this information with you and in a format you can read and understand.

--For the other side of the card, go to handgunlaw.us and click on your state. A reciprocity picture will pop up showing what states honor your CCL.
    Handgunlaw.us
    Again, print this out. Size it for wallet carry.

You'll obviously have to experiment shrinking them down to the right size to then trim with scissors. I held my first printout(laws) against my second(map) to cut out the map section, this made the two squares exactly the same size. I then put my two printouts back to back and used clear tape to tape the two together to form a single two sided quick reference card. The card is slightly smaller than a credit card and fits in my wallet nicely. The tape also serves a dual purpose to protect the wording as well and keeps it durable, tape over the entire card to protect it. Packing tape may work well for this, I just used several strips of scotch tape myself. This should last years in your wallet and is a very important thing for people to do.

Perhaps some enterprising soul out there with a laminating machine can make these up for each state and sell them for a fee to everyone around the US over the interwebz. Since it was my idea I'll take a free one and 15% of all proceeds

flame away

2. Remove Ads

The only problem with that, is when an officer disagrees with you about whether or not you are legal or what a particular statute says, and then you pull out an official, (or especially as in this case an unofficial) document to argue your side of it, they seem to get angry...Argue the law in the judicial branch, cooperate with the executive branch...and if necessary, file a report or ask their chief to give some additional training.

Or if you talking about just for personal reference, that's great, just make sure update your information often, and I have noticed handgunlaw.us usually takes a month or so to get their information up to date.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Just for personal reference only...so that when you're standing outside a school/restaurant/bar/church/state park/etc you can take a quick peek and find out if you must proceed/disarm.

I wouldn't present to LEO or anyone else. Just have the right(up to date) information with you. Know your rights.

VIP Member
    For my own state it's easy to remember. I can carry just about anywhere.

Mine, too. 51 sign, 30.06 sign or federal building...that's about it.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

30 Days To Update?

BerneyG: Will you please tell me what is not up to date on Handgunlaw.us? If it takes 30 days to update there has to be something not up to date? Could you please tell me the last thing you saw that was 30 days late in getting updated? Thank you and
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

How are you going to get access to said card with hands cuffed behind your back?

I agree with Berney, save the arguments of law for ones lawyer and the judge.
    On the streets I'm yes sir, no sir, my name is *.* sir, thank you/sorry sir.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    How are you going to get access to said card with hands cuffed behind your back?

I agree with Berney, save the arguments of law for ones lawyer and the judge.
    On the streets I'm yes sir, no sir, my name is *.* sir, thank you/sorry sir.

- Janq
    The card is to prevent you from getting cuffed...you should leave all legal arguments for your judge, both are stated above.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    The card is to prevent you from getting cuffed...you should leave all legal arguments for your judge, both are stated above.
    Yeah I saw that stated above, and as also stated police generally aren't too keen and haven't been all that responsive to the positive toward being told they are not right or smart in knowing of their job and how to apply as much in relation to law as written or interpreted.

It's better/easier to avoid cuffs to start by memorizing said laws and be sure to not go left of them then to run up to the line and run the risk of being in a position where explanation and argument of law and lawfullness becomes relevant.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I have no trouble remembering this info, and a card takes too long to referance. As already stated, citing laws to an Officer off a card if you get the chance will do nothing.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

kpw
    I think it would be a good idea when traveling to other states on your permit. PA doesn't have a lot of restrictions so when traveling through other states that have different restrictions, it's a very good idea. I don't think the OP meant to shove it in an LEO's face when being questioned or detained. I think most of the people on this forum have more common sense than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I have no trouble remembering this info, and a card takes too long to referance. As already stated, citing laws to an Officer off a card if you get the chance will do nothing.
    +1
    Not to mention the no carry zones are on the back of the MI CPL
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

If you are in the wrong, its lots easier to plead ignorance if you dont have a copy on you !!

Hopefully you know your states laws better than needing a card in your wallet to remind you!! Kinda scary if you ask me!!
    Learn the laws or don't carry simple as that.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    If you are in the wrong, its lots easier to plead ignorance if you dont have a copy on you !!
    If you happen to get caught carrying in a restricted place here, you will be in the newspaper and on local TV. Ignorance will get you busted around here.
    When I drive down to see my sister in GA or family in FL, I don't know all the restrictions for WVA, VA, NC, TN, KY, GA or FL. That's where I see this as a good idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links