Anyone have trouble sleeping

This is a discussion on Anyone have trouble sleeping within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone sleep very lightly since they CCW? I have always been a very aware person, but since I put my 1911 on my nightstand I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have trouble sleeping

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Anyone sleep very lightly since they CCW? I have always been a very aware person, but since I put my 1911 on my nightstand I am a very, very light sleeper. We have 2 cats and I am up everytime I hear them move. I guess thats good in a way, but I miss my "good" nights sleep. I wake up with every little sound, and have mastered the art of going from sleep to awake in a heartbeat(eyes open and focused on my bedroom doorway). Just wondering if anyone else suffers from such.

Nope never slept real good in the first place.

So doesnt keep me up or help me sleep either way.

Assistant Administrator
    Bit the opposite Bruce - which is a concern. Once I am off then apart from nuke blasts and a busting bladder - not too much wakes me.

That said - I have still found that unusual sounds do trigger me awake but then even so - I am about as fast as a snail on steroids - at best .

Tho I keep carry on floor by bed - I often wonder if I'd actually ''come to'' enough to grab it, should an intruder appear.

Hopefully, never have to find out - tho if someone sent as ''executioner'' I think it'll be goodbye world anyways!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sleep like a dead man.Always have.My saving grace is i have a wife that is better than a house dog.If it moves or makes the slightess noise she is on it before you can sat "what was that"

I have a hard time falling asleep, every time I hear something I have to check it out. Once I'm asleep, not much wakes me up. I'm a bit nervous that I don't even wake when my step son comes home late, could be anyone walking through that door.

My dog always alerts me at sounds even the slightest out of the ordinary. Other than that, I sleep pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by LPguy
    My dog always alerts me at sounds even the slightest out of the ordinary. Other than that, I sleep pretty well.
    I'm the same way, plus the dogs (even though they're Pekingese) bark a lot, and wake me right up. In the nightstand I'll go, pick up the "nightstand" gun, or go to bigger and better things, should the SHTF

Administrator

Dog + Home Alarm System = GR8ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs

BTW ~ Find another more creative place to put your firearm beside having it "on display" on top of your night stand or buy a fingerprint recognition lock box.
    Don't arm your intruder.

VIP Member
    Wait a minute, here, QK....you just gave me a great idea! Put a non-functioning gun on the nightstand...arm the intruder with a nasty (for him!) surprise

I'm in the "anything less than a 20 kiloton explosion" to wake me up camp, as well. I'm probably dead meat if someone breaks in....at least I won't be able to remember my safe combo (without a cup of coffee) to help them out
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

I have a hard time falling asleep period. I honestly dont need 8hrs anyhow. Sometimes I stay awake for two days, then on the third Im ready for bed. Normaly Im fine with 4-6 hrs. If I sleep to long Im a wreck all day. Its been that way since I was little, my parents went nuts trying to get me to stay in bed, at bed time. The same with GFs., wich seem to need 12hrs of sleep The poor suckers. Once Im asleep I sleep soundly, exept for when the pest control guy comes to spray my apt.

Lead Moderator
    nope, I can sleep soundly and still wake up with little noise. My dog is my alarm system, and will bark if someone is in the yard.

Administrator

Figure

You can bank on the fact that any intruder that invades your space inside your home at night is going to be more awake and cognitive than you are...at least for a minute or two. That would be even if you are a light sleeper & wake up...a minute is all a BG needs to put you out of service.
    Some people who think they are light sleepers actually have periods of light sleep & periods of much deeper sleep that they do not remember because (of course) they are sleeping soundly during that time.
    We had an incident here in PGH where a woman woke up to a bright flashlight shining in her eyes. I don't remember the exact details but, she was robbed & could have been easily killed but, for the grace of her intruder.

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Dog + Home Alarm System = GR8ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZs

BTW ~ Find another more creative place to put your firearm beside having it "on display" on top of your night stand or buy a fingerprint recognition lock box.
    Don't arm your intruder.

Good point, my stand has 3 shelves, and the gun is on the second shelf kinda outta sight.
    Also how many leave there "bedside" handguns in the holster? Seems like it would take that much longer to get it into play if it was holstered.

DC Founder
    I sleep very soundly until something "out of the ordinary" occurs. Then I wake up pretty quickly. I keep my gun on the headboard which is in the middle (of a king-sized bed) and pretty low. I always feared leaving a gun on a nightstand for a stealthy bad guy that has defeated the alarm, broken in quietly, picked the lock to my bedroom door, taken out the dog and managed not to wake me up. I just don't want to get shot, especially by my own gun....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Assistant Administrator
    I always feared leaving a gun on a nightstand for a stealthy bad guy that has defeated the alarm, broken in quietly, picked the lock to my bedroom door, taken out the dog and managed not to wake me up.
    That's why I am such an advocate of having my gun on floor just below where my arm and hand naturally drop, from under covers. The gun too is hardly visible - but always pointing in right direction for easy non visual pickup and aquisition.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links