Drawing and not shooting

This is a discussion on Drawing and not shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read another thread about a guy who drew, but didn't shoot in order to scare off the aggressor. How does everyone feel about this? ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drawing and not shooting

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Drawing and not shooting

I read another thread about a guy who drew, but didn't shoot in order to scare off the aggressor. How does everyone feel about this? Would you draw to neutralize a threat and get them to run. Or do you honestly believe that you only draw to shoot? If someone is pissed off coming towards you with an obvious intent to "rough you up" and you draw but don't shoot in order stop him in his tracks and send him in the other direction, is it still ok?

2. Remove Ads

A situation like you are talking about is full of split second decisions. If someone is not willing to make another split second decision that the use of lethal force is no longer necessary after a weapon has been drawn, that person is not responsible enough to carry a gun. Anybody who says "The only time I will draw is before I shoot" has obviously never been in a SD situation and has a very poor imagination. As has been quoted here hundreds of times, firearms are used 2 million plus times to deter an attack per year. That doesn't mean they were shot 2 million plus times...sometimes it is enough to show an attacker that you are not a sheep.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Yes, it's ok. But your intention when drawing the gun should be to use it. If the situation changes and you no longer need to fire, than don't fire.

If the sight of you drawing a gun causes the BG to turn tail and run or instantly drop his weapon and surrender(or something like that), then the gun has done what it is supposed to do...save your live when it is in jeopardy. Don't shoot a fleeing or unarmed BG in the back, it's more trouble for you thank it's worth.

A gun should only be drawn with the intention to use it...remember, you have to have the elements necessary to draw it. You have to be in fear of your life, your life must be in jeopardy, the BG has to have the ability and opportunity to kill or mortally wound you, and you have to have exhausted your ability to retreat from the situation if possible(sometimes this isn't possible at all).

Senior Moderator
    Youngda is right.

If you draw you your weapon it should be with the intent of using it.

But if the sight of the weapon neutralizes the threat then you no longer need to fire it. It still accomplished its task.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    It's all about stopping the threat. If he starts running why would you need to use the weapon?

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I read another thread about a guy who drew, but didn't shoot in order to scare off the aggressor. How does everyone feel about this? Would you draw to neutralize a threat and get them to run. Or do you honestly believe that you only draw to shoot? If someone is pissed off coming towards you with an obvious intent to "rough you up" and you draw but don't shoot in order stop him in his tracks and send him in the other direction, is it still ok?
    It happens all the time. Look, are you one of those who thinks "if I draw I have to shoot?" Do you not understand the changed dynamics? Look, once you draw your gun, now the crook(s) must decide if continuing the attack is worth their life. Usually, it isn't. If they turn tail and run, unless they have hurt or killed someone close to me or are still trying to shoot me, I will not shoot.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

I have drawn my gun and not used it; the threat "vanished". I have also opened my jacket and displayed it and the same thing happened.

I don't think that any sane person wants to shoot someone unless the circumstances are truly dire.

This happened to me once,I pulled up behind a man coming out of a strip mall and there was no traffic from either direction and after about a minute I honked my horn at him and he came flying out of his truck with a bat in his hand hollering and cussing at me,when he was about 10 feet away I drew my kimber and drew down on him and said stop right there and get the hell out of here or I will kill you,well his eyes got real big and he turned tail and jumped back in his truck and left.I had every intention of shooting him if he had kept coming,but I didn't have to,as he was no longer a threat to me.sj

Yes, it's ok. But your intention when drawing the gun should be to use it. If the situation changes and you no longer need to fire, than don't fire.
    Exactly. Been there before.

Quote Originally Posted by sjones View Post
    This happened to me once,I pulled up behind a man coming out of a strip mall and there was no traffic from either direction and after about a minute I honked my horn at him and he came flying out of his truck with a bat in his hand hollering and cussing at me,when he was about 10 feet away I drew my kimber and drew down on him and said stop right there and get the hell out of here or I will kill you,well his eyes got real big and he turned tail and jumped back in his truck and left.I had every intention of shooting him if he had kept coming,but I didn't have to,as he was no longer a threat to me.sj
    So, in this situation, would you call the authorities and say "I just drew my gun on this guy who was trying to kill me"? In case the BG gets to the cops first and says YOU tried to kill HIM? Just wondering!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by taggart View Post
    So, in this situation, would you call the authorities and say "I just drew my gun on this guy who was trying to kill me"? In case the BG gets to the cops first and says YOU tried to kill HIM? Just wondering!

If I ever draw my gun, I'm calling 911. If it is nessecary to draw then it is nessecary to call.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Officer, a man pulled a gun on me while in his car behind me, so I charged out of my truck with my Louisville Slugger(I played some semi-pro ball) to fight back. When I saw that he had a .45, a cheek full of tobacco, and fire in his eyes I decided to retreat back to my truck to report the incident. I am now headed to the laundromat to get the stains out of my shorts.

I live in NC, and the laws here state that you cannot draw your weapon unless you are in an immediate threat situation. I can draw it but not point it at him, because if he is not an immediate threat and does not have a weapon and I point mine at him he can charge me with assault. I can draw it to my side and tell him to leave. I am sure that some states are different. I believe in doing what it takes to protect you and your family.

Romans 10:8-10
    Mathew22:29

Jesus Christ is Lord

"Live your life right, so no one will have to lie at your funeral!"

First, is it a serious threat? Secondly, was the threat neutralized after drawing the firearm? If the answer to both is "yes" then it was probably the best thing to do. Remember it could be the courts deciding if you "brandished" your gun or not.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Absolutely!

Definitely call! I don't know that I would quite report it that way, probably more like,

"This guy was trying to kill me - I was scared he would kill me! But thank God he stopped when I pulled out my gun. Thought I better tell you about him in case he's crazy enough to try and kill someone else."

But if he calls 911 first about the nutcase who is brandishing, you are suddenly the bad guy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links