Carrying to the dentist office...

This is a discussion on Carrying to the dentist office... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to a new dentist tomorrow and it is in a part of town I have never been to. What I do know ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying to the dentist office...

I am going to a new dentist tomorrow and it is in a part of town I have never been to. What I do know is that it is close to a big city where I am uncomfortable to begine with, and I do know that this particular city has a high crime rate. I plan on carrying to the office but am unsure if I should carry inside or not. It would be concealed, and the dentist has no reason to be near my hip, so chances of being made are slim, but there is always a chance. Do I leave it in the car or do I bring it with. This is going to be an all day event, I will be going into the dentist three or four times so it means taking off my gun three to four times as well if I leave it. Also the car is not mine. My friend is bringing me since it is a long drive and long procedure. She knows I carry, and has expressed interest in learning to shoot and carry as well. So I don't think there would be any problem if I do have to leave it in her car.

Long story short: Does anyone know the proper ediquet about CCing in a dentist's office?

TDPalmer

Since it's legal to do so, carry just like you'd carry anywhere else. Concealed means concealed, period.

I've done it 6 times now with my current dentist.
    I walk in, sit in the chair, chat about our kids and the crazy cost of healthcare, rinse, stand up & pay, leave with a fist full of free toothbrushes and paste.

- Janq

"Out of sight, out of mind." - Old timey saying
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    The only etiquette I'm concerned about is keeping it concealed. It's legal for me to carry at the dentist, and I carry there for the same reason I carry other places: I don't know when I'm going to need my fire extinguisher.

I will say I haven't been sedated at the dentist since I've been carrying, so I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

I carry at my dentist's office. It's concealed - they'll never see it unless I have a derringer placed under my tongue. Now, as Grady has brought up, if sedation is in the picture then I would leave it locked up in the car.
    Last edited by walvord; February 5th, 2008 at 04:33 PM. Reason: "in' the car, not "on" the car. Typo.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

TDPalmer,

I am a newbie here, but it seems to me that the chance of being made is slim, based on where the dentist and assistants would be standing/sitting. My greater concern is that it sounds to me like you will be under anethesia, and it's after effects, for a while. I would think that would incapacitate you, along the lines of being under the influence of alcohol or (illegal) drugs to the point where it would be considered dangerous / illegal to carry.

In your shoes, I would call your dentist and talk with her directly about this, so there is no surprise or problems mid-procedure.

Hope it all goes well for you!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Te Nosce Ipsum View Post
    IIn your shoes, I would call your dentist and talk with her directly about this, so there is no surprise or problems mid-procedure.
    IMHO, never be the first one to bring up firearms with the medical community - especially those which are working on you or your loved ones.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

The dentist is a business providing a service...just like any other commercial enterprise. It's not a Government Building, a school campus or remotely related to ANY area expressly prohibited by the conditions of my permit. And since the only etiquette about which I'm concerned is obeying the law...I would assure I was indeed concealed & go about the normal routine of a visit to a professional office.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    I carry at my dentist's office. It's concealed - they'll never see it unless I have a derringer placed under my tongue. Now, as Grady has brought up, if sedation is in the picture then I would leave it locked up in the car.
    I will not be under sedation at any time. I made sure of that before I made the appointment. Only novicane.

So others have carried at the dentist and there have been no problems? Thats cool, I am new to carrying and want to make sure I don't do something stupid, or careless while doing so. I have heard many people mention not carrying at the Dr.s office so I wanted to see what the word was on the dentist as well. Thanks

TDPalmer

If you are going to have something done, I would be worried more about what medications you are going to be given. If you got stopped and the cop wanted to be "mean" about it, he could say you are DUI with a concealed weapon.

I just had a minor surgery done last week, and I didn't want to take the chance, but I made sure my wife was armed, and she was with me almost the whole time.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    IMHO, never be the first one to bring up firearms with the medical community - especially those which are working on you or your loved ones.
    Yes. While there will be exceptions, I'd guess that many would freak. Some might even post their business as a result of the subject being broached.

I would.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm more skiddish with going to the doctors office more so then the dentist. I don't see a problem here.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tdpalmer View Post
    I will not be under sedation at any time. I made sure of that before I made the appointment. Only novicane.
    If you DO have to draw on the way home, be cautious about drooling all over your carry piece.

Quote Originally Posted by tdpalmer View Post
    So others have carried at the dentist and there have been no problems? ...
    My dentist chided me for not belonging to NRA yet, and tried to recruit me for combat simulation shooting.

Love the hills of Appalachia!

+1

Quote Originally Posted by arsaks4ever View Post
    Since it's legal to do so, carry just like you'd carry anywhere else. Concealed means concealed, period.

If the office isn't legally posted why would you act any different?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links