Weapon size scare factor

This is a discussion on Weapon size scare factor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Having "pulled" twice...both times stopped aggressive action towards me. #1. stopped 250 lb pipe carrier...with the sight of Dbl. Barrel 12 ga. = duh #2. ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weapon size scare factor

Having "pulled" twice...both times stopped aggressive action towards me.

#1. stopped 250 lb pipe carrier...with the sight of Dbl. Barrel 12 ga. = duh
    #2. stopped circleing of 12+ possible attackers...S&W Mod 19 .357 = relieved
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

2. Remove Ads

SIZE matters. It matters in stopping power, presence, and sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
    SIZE matters. It matters in stopping power, presence, and sound.
    Agreed...it does matter.

However, I don't think though we should "count" on that size/intimidation factor at all.
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If size matters, get a double barrel 10-Ga. Those are cannons. 18 pellets of 00 buck is flat devestating to what ever is hit.

Not that easy to conceal unfortunately. The real downside is the recoil. It's always something ...

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Last caliber that was shot at me was a .32... I would have sworn in was a 44mag at the time.
    "Last caliber"? I know you're a LEO, but dang! How many times have you been shot at?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Well lets analyze this. Is that gun he is pointing at me a .22 or a .44. Hmmm! He is about 6 feet away, so at that distance a .22 will appear to be size X while a .44 will appear to be size Y. Now the angle of the dangle vs the the distance from their gun muzzles to my heart is the square root of of the linear distances divided by the penetration of the .22 vs the .44.

Hmm! My analysis is that you who claim there is a difference are all morons and that in reality the size of the bullet is irrelevant and has no mathematical proportion to the amount of excrement you will void when either is pointed at you with lethal intent!: nutkick:

I agree with every post here - we're all (assumed to be) average, logical, sentient beings. But what we're talking about is a different class of biped - they resemble us, but don't think like us. They may be so stupid or drugged out that they really do consider the potential of "that size tube." They may be so hardened that they will play the odds, knowing that "we" have a reluctance to harm another human that "they" aren't constrained by. This last one is the one most likely to be "impressed" by a larger unit - it takes more effort to carry a 5" 1911 than a P-32, so the person with a 1911 is more serious, ergo the more dangerous prey for him. Just as likely though, the 1911 is simply more obvious (in your face) than the P-32, so could be more discouraging sooner to someone otherwise focused on committing a crime. Or I could just be over-analyzing. . . . .

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Any gun spitting lead out of the barrel in your direction is bowel-loosening. If you need to draw it, chances are it needs to be spitting lead. How scared the bad guy is is irrelevant as long as you and your weapon make him cease and desist by whatever means necessary.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

When looking down the Barrel of a 1911 I swear I could have dangled my legs from the bore while sitting in it, 1he 12Ga looked the same size when I looked down it also. Now these guns were about 3 feet in front of me and were aimed at my head. I reacon the perspective would have been different if aimed at my feet.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I can't imagine that anyone, G.G. or B.G. looking at the muzzle end of a gun pointed at them is wondering what caliber it is.

Administrator
    Sometimes, for some people, I think bore size matters more to the person holding the gun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not to minimize any comments but long guns don't enter the equation. They are not used for concealed carry. I was thinking more along the lines of comparing a subcompact, say a 9mm xd or something even smaller like a small Kahr or Kel-Tec to a full size weapon, for example a 1911 or Beretta 90-2 or something else full size.

All assailants/sitiuations are different. Some wouldn't care how big your weapon was and others would stop being aggressive as soon as any firearm was pointed at them. However, I think it's reasonable to say there are times when the sight of a full size weapon will stop a fight when the sight of something on the low end of the scale will not.

This doesn't prove the point one way or another but I remember a number of years ago a local bar bouncer being shot nine times in the chest with a .22 snubbie and walking toward the shooter as he was being shot. He died. What was he thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    Well lets analyze this. Is that gun he is pointing at me a .22 or a .44. Hmmm! He is about 6 feet away, so at that distance a .22 will appear to be size X while a .44 will appear to be size Y. Now the angle of the dangle vs the the distance from their gun muzzles to my heart is the square root of of the linear distances divided by the penetration of the .22 vs the .44.

Hmm! My analysis is that you who claim there is a difference are all morons and that in reality the size of the bullet is irrelevant and has no mathematical proportion to the amount of excrement you will void when either is pointed at you with lethal intent!: nutkick:

That's funny, I don't care who you are!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

kpw
    The first reaction was a guy with a knife that just about crapped himself looking at my Colt .38, took off running.
    The second reaction was 4 out of the 5 guys that thought my wife should be public property, had to convince #5 that I was serious. S&W Md. 66
    The third reaction was a belligerent drunk with a BIG knife. He had to be told repeatedly to drop the knife. I didn't think he was going to for a second. Colt 1911 GM.
    I don't know about the first individual but all of the others were intoxicated in some way. I'd also bet they probably had guns pointed at them before, maybe been shot at or shot, I don't know. Whatever the reason, the size of the gun didn't have much effect on them.

In my experience, most other countries the people that are doing the attacking are downright stupid, and keep coming regardeess...heck I think they want to die most of the time (good luck on all those virgins in heaven bud.)

In our country, the 2 times I had to draw, the first guy dropped his gun and ran away (2 Sig P220's pointed at him). The second time, 1 BG put his gun back in his pants rather quickly, and the other 3 dropped theirs and took off in their car. Well as fast as they could go with six .45 caliber bullets in the engine(1 Sig P220, and then converted over to my 12g pump shotgun, but they were in the process of leaving by that time).

And unlike most gunfights were supposed to go, it was almost like it was in slow-motion. I even had time to think "boy are these people stupid" while I was drawing.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links