Weapon size scare factor

This is a discussion on Weapon size scare factor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's say that someone had a firearm pointed between your eyes... I don't think any of us would be saying, "Hmm, I wonder if he ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weapon size scare factor

Let's say that someone had a firearm pointed between your eyes... I don't think any of us would be saying, "Hmm, I wonder if he has Federal Hydra Shoks in there or UMC???" No, don't think anyone would care what caliber the gun was just that it was a gun pointed at THEM.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

From person experience with BG’s, I can tell you that most people do not think the NAA 22 is a real gun; and a 45 Colt Combat Commander or Glock 19 will get the respect it deserves.

But their respect for a full size sidearm pails in comparison to a pump 12-guage shotgun.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    From person experience with BG’s, I can tell you that most people do not think the NAA 22 is a real gun; and a 45 Colt Combat Commander or Glock 19 will get the respect it deserves.

But their respect for a full size sidearm pails in comparison to a pump 12-guage shotgun.
    Well, some people don't even know what a NAA .22 even looks like. And you are right that some that see it for the first time don't even classify it as a gun. Same with two-shot derringers or small .22 semi-autos and revolvers.

I see it every day when people come into our shop. They point and some will literally ask, "Is that REALLY a gun?"

I agree with every post here - we're all (assumed to be) average, logical, sentient beings. But what we're talking about is a different class of biped - they resemble us, but don't think like us. They may be so stupid or drugged out that they really do consider the potential of "that size tube." They may be so hardened that they will play the odds, knowing that "we" have a reluctance to harm another human that "they" aren't constrained by. This last one is the one most likely to be "impressed" by a larger unit - it takes more effort to carry a 5" 1911 than a P-32, so the person with a 1911 is more serious, ergo the more dangerous prey for him. Just as likely though, the 1911 is simply more obvious (in your face) than the P-32, so could be more discouraging sooner to someone otherwise focused on committing a crime. Or I could just be over-analyzing. . . . .
    I agree that we are gun people and we have a lot more respect for guns than most thugs.

Some of the punked out idiots who come into the store all associate guns with the biggest, badest, largest gun in the case.

They ALL come in asking for Desert Eagles, Glocks and Hi-Points. All the other guns they pick up have no meaning to them other than the fact that they are big and mean looking.

To THEM size matters because they are preoccupied with it. All they know about guns is what they've seen on TV and everyone on TV has a huge gun.

As I said in my original post in this thread. I'd be scared out of my mind to have ANY gun pointed at me and only a moron would belittle a small gun, but let's be real. If they weren't morons they wouldn't be threatening you, and they certainly wouldn't be continuing once you pulled a gun.

I heard a story about a gal who pulled a .32 on an attacker. He laughed and said, "What are you going to do with that?"

She said, "Shoot you eight times in the crotch."

He promptly left.

That may or may not be true, but the principle is there. He didn't think she was serious because she had a small gun.

His idiocy at it's best.

I see all types of guns, all day, every day and there are some that are cute and there are some that are just MEAN looking. It wouldn't make a lick of difference to me one way or the other if they were pointed at ME, but it may to some punk who's only idea of a gun is one he saw on the lasted gangster hit movie.

The other day I was walking by our mirror and holstering Wilson and I got a glimpse of his muzzle. I stopped, turned my gun to get a better look at it in the mirror and whistled.

Wilson has one DANG intimidating muzzle. A .45 caliber hole with a thick shiny bulled barrel hugging that hole making it look about twice as big as it really is.

To me, it's pretty, but to someone staring at it's business end (and NOT in a mirror) even a gun idiot with ideas that only big guns are serious guns would probably be pretty quick to take Wilson seriously.

But I don't give a crap about what they think of my gun.

I don't care if I AM carrying a NAA .22 or one of my Colt Mustangs. All I care about is that they stop doing whatever it is they are doing to make me draw that gun or they are going to see first hand just how serious a gun of any caliber can be when wielded by a threatened woman.

i agree that the smaller, more toy looking guns may cause an idiot of a bad guy to not stop dead in his tracks, but if the look of it doesnt stop him, the bullets coming out of it will.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I thinks things happen to fast to make a differance.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I like the idea of having "The Judge". As Inspector Callihan might have said, "During all this excitement, I don't know if the next round is a .45 or a .410. Now you gotta ask yourself punk, do you feel lucky".
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

As sixto said: some people are just stupid.

As lima said: Some people don't know a gun when they see one. A guy tried to rob the stop and rob my wife worked at when we were 18-ish, she simply told him "no" and he'd better leave. She told me his gun didn't look real. Some time later she saw the "toy gun" at a gun show I dragged her to. A little .22 pocket jobby.

She surely would've been intimidated by a "real gun," but as has been pointed out, there have been idiots who charge a dirty harry piece "that can shoot right through an engine block." A physically larger gun (don't think most could tell caliber from the muzzle view) might intimidate some, but to count on it is a terrible, terrible thing waiting to happen.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    "Last caliber"? I know you're a LEO, but dang! How many times have you been shot at?
    I'd hazard a guess and say "too many". Only been shot at once and I still call that too many.

-B

IMO Why would you give the BG the chance to decide wether to fight or turn and run ? If you're drawing your gun you better be prepared to SHOOT !!!!!!!!

I'd feel just as threatened if a thug pointed a so-called mousegun at me, rather than a big, bad .44 Magnum. But then I realize either one could ruin my whole day.

However, those who aren't familiar with firearms might make the potentially fatal mistake of challenging the thug armed with the mousegun.

So, I'd have to say it would wiser for those who legally carry to avoid mouseguns - except possibly as a BUG - because most common thugs appear to be about as bright as black holes anyway, or they wouldn't be thugs.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post

I am right there with you on this. Seems like you have to tell them two or three times to get away when you're holding a 1911, but they are already running when they see that 12 gauge.

I'm going to presume that the criminal will always call my bluff.

When i started carrying my KelTec .380 as a backup to my 4" Springfield XD 9mm, I told all my carrying friends that the KelTec was going to force me to shoot if i ever drew it...because the BG wouldn't believe it was real.

But, that's his problem, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    The other day I was walking by our mirror and holstering Wilson and I got a glimpse of his muzzle. I stopped, turned my gun to get a better look at it in the mirror and whistled.

Wilson has one DANG intimidating muzzle. A .45 caliber hole with a thick shiny bulled barrel hugging that hole making it look about twice as big as it really is.
    I agree.
    I was doing half-speed "draw-and-present" drills in front of the bathroom mirror one afternoon (hammer down!), when I suddenly realized how large the bore really is: Down the 5" barrel of a Gov't model 1911-a1, I could see the silver tulip that was the tip of my round (230gr Winchester SXT +P)! Down the barrel!
    I almost yelped, even knowing it was mine and through a mirror.
    (Of course, I was also pleased that the barrel naturally landed in such an excellent position, as I was practicing the presentation, and not the aim!)

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by wvshooter View Post
    A recent thread discusses "draw to fire" vs. drawing and not firing. The discussion raised in my mind the question of how the relative size of a particular weapon would affect the likelyhood of the attacker stopping their attack. Is an assailant more likely to stop when confronted with a full size 1911 or is the deterrent factor just as great if we are holding a Kel-Tec.
    I'm not going to read through five pages of post, just to type my response. If it's already been said, and it probably has, sorry about that.

It's not the gun, it's the person behind the gun.

Biker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links