Weapon size scare factor

Weapon size scare factor

This is a discussion on Weapon size scare factor within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A recent thread discusses "draw to fire" vs. drawing and not firing. The discussion raised in my mind the question of how the relative size ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weapon size scare factor

Weapon size scare factor

A recent thread discusses "draw to fire" vs. drawing and not firing. The discussion raised in my mind the question of how the relative size of a particular weapon would affect the likelyhood of the attacker stopping their attack. Is an assailant more likely to stop when confronted with a full size 1911 or is the deterrent factor just as great if we are holding a Kel-Tec.

Administrator
    They all look huge from the "other" perspective. It doesnt matter if its truly a lethal situation, it happens way to fast.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The 1911 barrel has a bit of an intimidation factor going for it

Senior Moderator
    It would sure scare the crap out of me even if it was a NAA .22.

Then again, I respect the damage that ANY bullet from ANY gun can do.

Anyone who knows ANYTHING about guns is not going to like having ANY gun pointed at them. I think only true morons would laugh in the face of a gun being pointed at them.

VIP Member
    To the normal sane person any gun should change their mind. I do know from experience that the muzzle end of a 12 ga shotgun looks like the opening of a 55 gallon oil drum!! That happened with my first wife, I NEVER came home early without calling again!!!

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Any gun would have me scared to the point I would be drawing down.

If someone tries to rob me by pointing a 22 at me or a 45, I am still gonna be scared. In a real situation, it all happens so fast that I doubt barrel size would be a factor at all. Between the pucker factor, adrenaline flowing, heart racing, I really honestly don't think anyone is going to consider the weapon size.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

There is nothing more intimidating than looking down the business end of a 12 gauge

I have to agree with most here. Size does not matter. When you have a gun pointed at you, you are not going to take tome to look at the barrel size. Now noise, thats another. The bigger "Boom" would intimidate someone (If you miss them that is!)
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Distinguished Member
    Looking Down the "business" end of a weapon, could you tell the difference from a 380, 38 special, 9-mm or 357 mag?????

Unless BG is under the influence of something, I feel most don't want to challenge any armed GG regardless of the size of the gun.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I have to agree with most here. Size does not matter. When you have a gun pointed at you, you are not going to take tome to look at the barrel size. Now noise, thats another. The bigger "Boom" would intimidate someone (If you miss them that is!)
    Last caliber that was shot at me was a .32... I would have sworn in was a 44mag at the time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Massad Ayood, in his book "In the Gravest Extreme" mentions that stainless steel handguns tend to look bigger, thus more intimidating.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    For the most part I agree with most of what was said. Any gun that is pointed at me will be plenty intimidating.

On the flip side, I do remember a woman that ran a general store out in the middle of nowhere. She was robbed once. She said that the gun the guy had was small and looked like a toy to her. She said she was tempted to reach out and take it away from him. It was probably a good thing she didn't. I'm sure she would have felt difference if it was a 12 gauge.

For most of here, the difference in fear level brought on by a .22 compared to a .44 magnum is negligible. I do believe there are a few sheeple that don’t see it that way.

I am goin to go against the grain here....many have read my recent post " I had to draw". I had my Kahr CW-9 pointed at this guys HEART and he still wanted to ask me several times why I drew mu gun.....Duuhhh- Because you DONT belong in my truck. Since that day I wondered many times if his reaction would have been different had been carrying my 5" Kimber..I think he would have been a little faster at closing my door...but then again, he did park his SUV in the hammer lane on an interstate hwy in Ft Worth at 5:30pm HIGH SPEED traffic.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    I am goin to go against the grain here....many have read my recent post " I had to draw". I had my Kahr CW-9 pointed at this guys HEART and he still wanted to ask me several times why I drew mu gun.....Duuhhh- Because you DONT belong in my truck. Since that day I wondered many times if his reaction would have been different had been carrying my 5" Kimber..I think he would have been a little faster at closing my door...but then again, he did park his SUV in the hammer lane on an interstate hwy in Ft Worth at 5:30pm HIGH SPEED traffic.

I wouldnt put to much weight in that, I've had them argue with a 220 in their face, an 870, an MP5 and a M16. Some people are just stupid I reckon.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links