Printing in FL

This is a discussion on Printing in FL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know this topic has been beaten dead before but I just wanted to share with you something I saw on another board today. I ...

Thread: Printing in FL

Printing in FL

I know this topic has been beaten dead before but I just wanted to share with you something I saw on another board today. I was reading a thread about concealing full size firearms and one of the posts said:

"In some states you can get into trouble just for printing. Florida is one of them.

If anyone can tell that you are carrying, it's an issue, but if you are printing and the outline is conspicuous (or anything gets exposed by accident) you can be in some deep poo."

I live in FL and I have only been carrying for a little less than a year and have never had any problems. I usually carry my PM9 IWB which is virtually undetectable. What kinda concerns me is that I plan on carrying my P229 and HK P30 more and obviously these firearms are more prone to printing. I'm generally not too paranoid or self-concious about printing and I still am looking forward to giving my larger firearms some substantial carrying time but I wanna find out if anyone has had any problems or untoward encounters regarding printing in FL? My general outlook about Florida is that people here are more open minded about CCW and gun ownership, am I wrong in thinking this way?

2. Remove Ads

I am not 100% positive, but my firearms instructor(also a leo) told me that it did not matter if there was a bulge or you were printing as long as it was covered.
    Kahr CW9
    Rossi .38
    S&W SD9VE
    Mossberg 500 12ga
    Sears 12ga
    Marlin Model 60SS

A normal concern ,I'm an instructor in Florida and have to ask the following . If you are going to change your carry gun or holster (type of carry) why wouldn't you dress to accomidate the larger gun ? Printing is gonna happen , it's your job to avoid it if possible by being constantantly aware of the gun you're carrying . For Florida a perfect way to carry is a short sleeve button up cotton shirt not tucked . Something with prints on it is better than a solid colors . I've exposed my gun by accident before and the by standers who saw it in a holster automatically assumed I was LE but that response is rare . If I was carrting in my waist band w/out a holster the response might have been different . (that was a long time ago) Your outlook on Florida being more open is a little off because we are full of people from states that don't allow carry or firearms in city limits etc etc . IF you have exposed or are printing really bad and it's cauing a problem or comotion the best thing to do is leave immediatelly !!!! It's not worth the attention . Remember the person who sees it might call authorities and how do you think they police will respond to a man with a gun ??? It's best to just leave . So be always aware of it even though after carrying for awhile you sometimes forget it's there. Also always dress for the type gun your carrying or holster you'll be using . I hope that helps .

KLX9MM is correct also the main thing is cover but why would you want anyone knowing you're carrying ?

First of all great question.

I was an auxiliary deputy back in the late 70’s while I was going to college and was required to carry 24/7. Talk about leaning to conceal.

I was one of the first ones back in the 80’s to get Florida’s CCL, and it was against company policy to carry where I work.

And I worked for the feds for a few years back in the 90’s, and in all those years, with exception of entering a court house, I can’t remember when I’ve been asked for id.

The word concealed means exactly that, but over the years, I’ve had ooops, and printing just like everyone else, but if ya act like you belong there, no one is going to panic and call the COPS saying “there’s a made man here with a gun”.

Over the years, I’ve come to the conclusion, that people carry a concealed weapon in three ways.

1. The Joey: I call it this because I had a limo driver once in NY that carried a big 357 in a shoulder holster. He wanted everyone to know he was armed; he would even stand around with his arms cross to make the jacket budge, and you could see the butt of the grip.

2. Concealed off duty: Usually IWB or OWB at around 4 O’clock, in a quality holster, with a quality belt, or a quality shoulder rig with a jacket custom tailored to fit the package. While they may carry their uniform duty weapon, this person will usually carry a medium size handgun along the lines of a Glock 19 or Commander size 45 or similar.

3. Deep Cover Concealed: To make sure no one known their armed, this person will carry a handgun in an IWB at small of the back or at an OWB at 4 O’clock. If it’s an OWB holster it will be a quality pancake so it won’t cling to clothing. They will carry eighter medium size G19 or revert to a smaller Walther PPK size or even a pocket pistol.

Long story short: If you’re carrying in the “Joey” style you can expect to have problem. If you’re carrying the other ways, you won’t.

Hope this helps.

Just a general observation, I find that most people are not going around looking for the print of a gun on those around them. Even a bulge will not draw attention from the average person, they just think it is a cell phone or ipod or some other electronic device. Dress appropriately to conceal and you shouldn't have a problem.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Guys, thanks for all the great info so far!

I think most people don't observe whats around them very well.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I realized that whoever posted that message I saw might have just had a really bad experience in FL....

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Just a general observation, I find that most people are not going around looking for the print of a gun on those around them. Even a bulge will not draw attention from the average person, they just think it is a cell phone or ipod or some other electronic device. Dress appropriately to conceal and you shouldn't have a problem.

This is so true. I'm 6'1 180 retired military. I was in a grocery store last summer dressed in my usual attire of sport coat and nice jeans. I was going up and down the aisles looking for stuff and keeping myself aware when I noticed a guy looking at me and nodding. He went his way and I went mine. As I was leaving, out in the parking lot, I saw him loading his groceries in his car. He saw me coming by and smiled. He asked me what I was carrying, gesturing to my right hip. I opened my coat slightly reached back and pulled my leatherman out. He was surprised and apologized. I said no problem. I went to my car, with my Ruger Redhawk riding in its shoulder holster under my left arm.

Can't help but to share that famous Mae West line:

Is that a gun in your pocket? Or are you just glad to see me!"
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

What is that bulge at your waistband?

To the non-LEO: My insulin pump!

Quote Originally Posted by Arisin Wind View Post
    This is so true. I'm 6'1 180 retired military. I was in a grocery store last summer dressed in my usual attire of sport coat and nice jeans. I was going up and down the aisles looking for stuff and keeping myself aware when I noticed a guy looking at me and nodding. He went his way and I went mine. As I was leaving, out in the parking lot, I saw him loading his groceries in his car. He saw me coming by and smiled. He asked me what I was carrying, gesturing to my right hip. I opened my coat slightly reached back and pulled my leatherman out. He was surprised and apologized. I said no problem. I went to my car, with my Ruger Redhawk riding in its shoulder holster under my left arm.

That is a great story!!!!

Links