Do you all

This is a discussion on Do you all within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; take a firearm in the bathroom with you when take shower? I was wondering since it get's hot in the bathroom, will that be a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you all

Do you all

take a firearm in the bathroom with you when take shower? I was wondering since it get's hot in the bathroom, will that be a problem to the ammo in your firearm?

Thanks.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

2. Remove Ads

Read my signature. It says it all.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I do not. Two reasons. One, I have an alarm system in my apartment. Door comes open, 120 dbs blasts out from two locations, alerting me and most likely scaring the crap out of a BG. Second, I don't want the humidity near my guns.

ANYWHERE in the house, if it's not on my person, I can reach for it in a second...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I place mine under a towl to keep the steam from condensing on the gun. Never had a problem that way. Plus if some one breaks in the first thing they see is not the gun just sitting there.-Jay

Administrator
    Its not going to hurt a carry gun any more than carrying it will.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I don't think it has ever gotten that hot in my bathroom to produce that much steam. Jason above has a good idea I think that should solve any problem from heat or humidity.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

No. I don't take my gun to the bathroom when I shower, but if you feel better doing it, I'm all for you. Your ammo won't be affected in the few minutes you are in the shower. However, the primers aren't sealed on most commercial ammo meaning that moisture can get to the powder. Military ammo is sealed. You can seal your own with varnish. Condensation could possibly occur inside the casing in certain temperature/moisture combinations. Several years ago we had a severe and prolonged rain storm that flooded the ammo storage room at work. Many cases of ammo were on wood pallets. The water reached only the cases on the bottom of the stacks, Federal Match .308 for the most part. The ammo submerged in the water would not fire. Even after months of drying, it would not fire. The ammo that did not actually get wet still absorbed enough moisture so that perhaps a quarter of the rounds would not ignite. This included .223, .308, and 9mm from various manufacturers. I suppose that's why they tell us to store ammo in cool dry locations.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Its not going to hurt a carry gun any more than carrying it will.
    Thats right! And if it does, I dont want it. Thats why I carry HK, I am a plumber and when you cut a water line or sewer pipe, aint no tellin what pops out!
    Think twice
    Buy once!

high humidity = rust, etc - internal and external - with shower and hot tub

alarm increases your time you have to react

real handy right outside bathroom but not in view of anyone

two minute showers - save time, water, and money

I don't shower with a gun in reach, but, I shave my head while in there so a 2 minute shower is likely going to be 4 minutes for me. I have 3 acres, dog, and a 870 just outside of the bathroom loaded and ready.

Do you all
    take a firearm in the bathroom with you when take shower?
    I've been know to in the past, but not always. I'm quite confident in my Glocks no matter what the environment. Couldn't say how much of an issue you'd see with the ammo, but likely not much.

I do! My gun is well protected by CLP and my bathroom has an exhaust fan that keeps the moisture level low.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

It's a simple formula really. Ziplock + Dessi packs = happy firearm within reach.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    No and I don't have any reason to close the bathroom door while in the shower. I also have a 118lb Golden Retriever with a loud bark.

Then again, there's always one of these:
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links