Question about church in a school...

This is a discussion on Question about church in a school... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is in TN, Memphis, TN. A not so nice place to be and definitely not a place one would want to go unarmed. The ...

Thread: Question about church in a school...

This is in TN, Memphis, TN. A not so nice place to be and definitely not a place one would want to go unarmed.

The church my family attends has been trying to sell the current property and build on a larger property. Currently we are land locked and cannot expand any further, thus the planned move. The old place finally sold and we are now meeting in a school building. I know it is not legal to carry in a school. It is legal to carry in a church here.

Can I carry during church services that are held in a school on a non-school day? I think the answer is NO, but I thought I would ask here to see if I may have missed the point of the law.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

TENN Regs:

I got this from
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf

Hope it helps.

Tennessee Must Notify Officer: No

Wildlife Management Areas State/National Forests State Parks Road Side Rests NO

Rules/Regs Refuges, NO YES

WMA Public Hunting Areas NO 39171311 Unless Posted
    1660114.10 (e)

It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverage, as defined in 573101
    (a)(1)(A),. or beer as defined in 576102(1) , are served for on premises consumption.

Any room in which judicial proceedings are in progress.

Any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college oruniversity board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

It is not an offense for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if such firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by such adult, or by any other person acting with the expresses or implied consent of such adult, while such vehicle is on school property.

On the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

An individual, corporation, business entity or government entity or agent thereof is authorized to prohibit possession of weapons by any person otherwise authorized by this subsection, at meetings conducted by, or on premises owned, operated, managed or under control of such individual, corporation, business entity or
    government entity. Notice of such prohibition shall be posted in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily used by persons entering the building, portion of the building or buildings where weapon possession is prohibited. 39171359.

Prohibition at certain meetings Posting notice.
    So it souds to me like ya have to leave your gun in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    I got this from
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf

Hope it helps.

So it souds to me like ya have to leave your gun in the car.
    Campus and grounds would probably mean the parking lot too. Thanks for the link. I may have to start going to church somewhere else.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    Campus and grounds would probably mean the parking lot too. Thanks for the link. I may have to start going to church somewhere else.
    In Tennessee, a "non-student adult" is free to be in a vehicle with his weapon as well as lock it in the vehicle on a campus.

Edit to come:

That makes the situation interesting for me. I am a student of a university. I believe that it is pretty obvious that I can't legally leave my .45 in my truck on the U's campus. But still being "student," I am technically never a "non-student adult" and thus would be prohibited from carrying my weapon [provided I stay in my truck] if I were to pick up my nephew from his elementary school. Perhaps I'm thinking too much.

Fortunately, I have arranged to park on private property adjacent to the U's campus. I just have to make sure I remember to leave it in the truck.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Isn't there a clause that says you can be on campus with your gun on, for the purpose of picking up or dropping off something as long as you don't leave your car or handle the gun?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    Isn't there a clause that says you can be on campus with your gun on, for the purpose of picking up or dropping off something as long as you don't leave your car or handle the gun?
    It doesn't define a lawful purpose. It simply allows "nonstudent adults" to have the weapon in the vehicle.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I wouldn't do it - not worth the chance plus it might just be illegal. I'd err on the side of "if I'm not sure, then don't do it" in this case.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Here in Michigan we can have it in the car if we're pcking up or dropping off. As far as parking that may be something else all together. I wonder what the answer would be if a church ran a school?

Quote Originally Posted by airworthy View Post
    Here in Michigan we can have it in the car if we're pcking up or dropping off. As far as parking that may be something else all together. I wonder what the answer would be if a church ran a school?
    Probably the same answer...if there is a school on the property, then school rules apply. There are a lot of schools in churches in Memphis.

Links