Personal protection in Germany? - Page 2

Personal protection in Germany?

This is a discussion on Personal protection in Germany? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While stationed in Germany (Spangdahlem AB, 2003-2007) I carried a knife, collapsible baton, or large walking stick as appropriate/permissible. Guns and the like are definitely ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Personal protection in Germany?

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    While stationed in Germany (Spangdahlem AB, 2003-2007) I carried a knife, collapsible baton, or large walking stick as appropriate/permissible. Guns and the like are definitely a no-no.

Like someone else said, the south-west is fairly safe, and the north-east is...not so much. Not really dangerous, but there are some issues with Russian/Turkish organized crime and gangs.

My main concern in touristy areas would be pick-pockets. Keep an eye on your baggage and valuables, and don't enjoy the (freakin' awesome!) beer so much that you lose your situational awareness.

Oh, anddon't pay the taxi driver until all of your baggage is unloaded! Had one take off on me, not because he was a thief, but handing the money over means all expected services have been rendered...like unloading your stuff.

As with anywhere, things can change a little after the sun sets. Just take the same precautions you would during a night out in your home town.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Having spent 3 tours over there in the Army I can tell you your greatest concern will be deciding which beer to drink!

There are some bad neighborhoods in some of the larger cities, but they're easy to spot and avoid.

Enjoy the great beer and food!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

M2
    Just to jump on the beerwagon with everyone else, I was born, grew up and was later stationed in Germany for four years. I also go back there on a semi-regular basis in my job. You don't have to worry about self-defense, it is fairly safe and I have staggered back from many a gasthaus to my hotel without ever encountering anyone other than other happy drunks! If you draw a weapon you are likely to have it taken away and even possibly used against you, so I would advise against it. Just don't go anywhere that it is obvious you shouldn't be, and eat and drink and enjoy yourself as much as you can handle.

Cheers (or should I say Tschüss!) M2

Paintball Markers are also very restricted over there. We had a kid who took his over there and got in all kinds of trouble. Serious trouble. They do have and play Paintball because I know they fielded a team in the Extreme sports Olympic trials... but they do not have free access to them.

When I lived in Germany in the early 1990s I purchased several automatic knives but that is as far as it went.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

A vote for:

The Coldsteel cane
    A folder, and

German wine! Not just beer!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I was stationed in Berlin in 82-83 and there were definitely some areas to stay out of because of the Turks and squatters in the buildings but over all you just had to use some common sense.You can find trouble anywhere if you look.Enjoy the beer!
    Ron

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Para82 View Post
    I was stationed in Berlin in 82-83 and there were definitely some areas to stay out of because of the Turks and squatters in the buildings but over all you just had to use some common sense.You can find trouble anywhere if you look.Enjoy the beer!
    Ron
    Staggering around the side streets near Kurferstendamm Strauss where ya?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Go to Prague and drink beer.

I was going to suggest.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Having spent some time in Germany last summer, you should consider a folding knife for carry. No guns.

Knives are generally legal, even automatic openers, however, I am not an expert by any means. You need to check the rules there carefully. The quality knife stores can be good sources of information on legality, but listen carefully and make sure they are certain of what they tell you. The tourist shops will not be good sources of info generally.

I carried a Boker automatic and a Coldsteel cane all over Germany and nobody looked twice at me.

Boker: Böker - Your Knife Made In Solingen

Coldsteel: CITY STICK

I carried the "City Slicker" with the stainless head.

You might get in museums faster with a cane too........LOL
    Buy a moderatly priced knife there and throw it away when you leave.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If you draw a weapon you are likely to have it taken away and even possibly used against you, so I would advise against it.
    WOW! Did i click on a Brady Forum by mistake?
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links