Idaho Bill Could Allow Concealed Weapons at Colleges

Idaho Bill Could Allow Concealed Weapons at Colleges

This is a discussion on Idaho Bill Could Allow Concealed Weapons at Colleges within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NewsChannel6 Video Player - I sent an e-mail to channel 6 news: Bill Could Allow Concealed Weapons at Colleges I watched your news story and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idaho Bill Could Allow Concealed Weapons at Colleges

Wink Idaho Bill Could Allow Concealed Weapons at Colleges

NewsChannel6 Video Player -

I sent an e-mail to channel 6 news:

Bill Could Allow Concealed Weapons at Colleges

I watched your news story and what your not telling people is that you have to be 21 to be able to conceal carry in Idaho, not just because your a student. You also have to have firearms training, fingerprinting, and a FBI back ground check. So the idea of kids with guns on campus is ludicrous.

Yes... faculty, parents, and adult students would be able to conceal carry on campus, this could be a big plus, if something like Virginia Tech were to happen here in Idaho.

Sincerely, Richard Gramm, Rigby
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

actually I was told that they can give you a permit if you're over 18 and local law enforcement decides to. Supposedly based on need. I am however excited about this bill.

Hopefully it passes.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

That is one of the best things I have heard in a long time. The way my part of Idaho (Caldwell) is going, it won't be long until there is a campus shooting. The students at Virgina Tech were left shooting back with camera phones.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    That is one of the best things I have heard in a long time. The way my part of Idaho (Caldwell) is going, it won't be long until there is a campus shooting. The students at Virgina Tech were left shooting back with camera phones.
    Actually, It wasn't against the law to carry a gun at VA Tech, and to this day it still is not against the law to carry a gun at VA public college(unless its Viginia Commonwealth University IIRC). What most colleges have are Policies against it. Where if your caught your dismissed from school. If I want to carry at George Mason University, Virginia Tech, I am allowed to. But If I was a student and I get caught I can face suspension/expullsion.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Ok, fair enough. I was suspended from Jamestown for a year and lost all of my scholarships for having a gun on campus. So I stand corrected, you won't face legal prosecution, but you will be persecuted by the administration.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Hope it passes. Good luck to those in Idaho.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I hate watching those videos and having to deal with illogical students at school. The lack of common sense, and critical thinking skills amazes me at times.

Quote Originally Posted by neby98 View Post
    actually I was told that they can give you a permit if you're over 18 and local law enforcement decides to. Supposedly based on need. I am however excited about this bill.
    Federal law does not allow for sale/transfer via an FFL of a pistol to persons under the age of 21. For an 18 yr. old to purchase a firearm he/she is going to need to go through an FFL for a fed mandated NICS check to be lawful. Long guns can be owned by 18 yr. olds but most states do not allow long guns to be carried concealed.
    Thus in the end the math works out that those who are aged 21 and older are the only persons applicable toward allowance of concealed carry of a firearm, outside of the very few states (IIRC 1 or 2) that allow CCW of a long gun.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I hope this bill passes. I've just emailed my Idaho State Senator urging them to support and also KPVI TV for presenting such a slanted veiw of concealed carry on campus.

Everyone on here from Idaho please contact your state sentor and voice your support of this bill.

Hope it passes. Waiting for Texas (R. Perry) to get the ball rolling. Maybe if they see that Idaho is presenting this bill and the fact that Utah already has a plan implanted, they might follow suit and present their own version.

DPS having guns on campus, well duh! Yeah that should be a no brainer, properly trained faculty and staff.. okay, a horde of frat boys and girls who haven't learned to keep their hands to themselves? Not sure I agree with that one.

Hope it passes...need to close the BG loophole...'gun-free zones'!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

faculty, parents, and adult students would be able to conceal
    It's not against the law to carry on a university campus in Idaho. The current law prohibits weapons on elementary and secondary school campuses, but not on post secondary campuses.

Parents and the average citizen can carry, concealed or openly, on a university campus in Idaho. It's just the faculty, staff, and students who are at risk on campus. They are at risk of losing their jobs or being expelled when they carry, and at the mercy of madmen when they don't carry.

The great thing about the proposed legislation is that it prohibits any state, county, or city agency from regulating firearms. It will also invalidate state park regulations that ban weapons from state parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Federal law does not allow for sale/transfer via an FFL of a pistol to persons under the age of 21. For an 18 yr. old to purchase a firearm he/she is going to need to go through an FFL for a fed mandated NICS check to be lawful. Long guns can be owned by 18 yr. olds but most states do not allow long guns to be carried concealed.
    Thus in the end the math works out that those who are aged 21 and older are the only persons applicable toward allowance of concealed carry of a firearm, outside of the very few states (IIRC 1 or 2) that allow CCW of a long gun.

- Janq
    Idaho law:
    18-3302. section 11 states:

The sheriff of a county may issue a license to carry a concealed
    weapon to those individuals between the ages of eighteen (18) and twenty-one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links