Battle of New Orleans, part 2

This is a discussion on Battle of New Orleans, part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; we will see the best and worst in people during crisis. I am prepared as best I can afford to be in case something happens ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battle of New Orleans, part 2

Lead Moderator
    we will see the best and worst in people during crisis. I am prepared as best I can afford to be in case something happens up here. Unlikely, but still I am prepared. Heard they are shooting at rescue services and helos trying to haul people out from the dome. Imagine how much worse this situation might be if we were like G.B. I am glad to be able to own and carry personal weapons.

2. Remove Ads

Lawlessness and anarchy

New Orleans is proof positive why concealed carry and home defense is so important. Because you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    rachilders, I would agree with you in your above post. Just to add....the phrase"taking the law into your own hands"makes me wonder---Hmmmm---if there is no law then what does society in general and LEO's expect you and me(the good folks on this forum)to do about the situation ?? Also the word "vigilante". Back in the old (lawless) west,groups of vigilante's(IMO) got the job done. They saved a heck of allot of lives and they saved a heck of allot of property. To me(depending on the situation)it's not such a dirty word.------------
    To be more specific, I meant that we all should do what's necessary to ensure the safety of ourselves and our families. Extraordinary times and circumstances often require extraordinary actions. However, there is a difference between doing what's necessary and doing whatever you want simply because you can get away with it. That seems to be the root of the current problem in N.O., you can get away with almost anything right now without fear of conseqences by the law.

Unlike many other areas of the world, law and order will return to New Orleans and it will be sooner rather than later. When it does return, those who are there will, hopefully remember who was good and who was bad (like Santa's list of good little kids) and those who were bad should be held accountable to the fullest extent possible.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Administrator

rachilders

That (below) was beautifully well spoken.

"To be more specific, I meant that we all should do what's necessary to ensure the safety of ourselves and our families. Extraordinary times and circumstances often require extraordinary actions. However, there is a difference between doing what's necessary and doing whatever you want simply because you can get away with it. That seems to be the root of the current problem in N.O., you can get away with almost anything right now without fear of conseqences by the law.

Unlike many other areas of the world, law and order will return to New Orleans and it will be sooner rather than later. When it does return, those who are there will, hopefully remember who was good and who was bad (like Santa's list of good little kids) and those who were bad should be held accountable to the fullest extent possible."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner
    I recall seeing the old newsreels in theatres where NG troops patrolled with orders to shoot looters. Does anyone else remember this. I want to scream at all these officials and newscasters on the tube and ask them, "what about how we used to shoot looters on sight! Have you considered this?" If we have a terrorist nuclear strike or a large scale chemical strike, we all better be prepared to take care of ourselves. The goverenment folks may be well intentioned, but they're usually are not too effective.
    I remember it and I'm pretty sure that old law from the 1960's has just been invoked in N.O. at this time. I heard the Governor of Louisiana state the guard is going in "cocked and locked."

Of course you're totally correct. What we're seeing in the aftermath of this storm is very bad, I agree. But it is a walk in a DRY park compared to what the country will look like in the aftermath of a WMD terror attack, especially a nuclear scenario. Then it really will seem as if the MAD MAX movies were prophetic.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

My question is why hasn't there been a call to permit holders to help augment the security situation. In Israel the police call for them when the terror alert gets high. We have an armed populice why don't we use them?
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Assistant Administrator
    That might be seen as too ''non PC'' or some other excuse - maybe also this feeling we get that we are not to be trusted!!! Oh and don't forget too - the ''rivers of blood'' garbage.

In principle it would be very logical as a volunteering move, tho the City Ordinance would have to be lifted. In fact that latter would almost suffice, in that, it would at least allow legit' holders to stay packing and so keep themselves better protected from the scum element.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar

Using CCW Holders

If CCW holders were to be called upon, they could be deputised and set up in squads with a full time officer in charge of each squad. In this way, lots of man power could be deployed, all armed and with a reasonable level of firearms know-how, and perfectly legal. This should be PC enough for all concerned. Of course, don't expect any politician to think that up. They're to busy posturing and blowing smoke. I'm disgusted with the whole bunch, (politicians that is). I really do feel terrible for all those folks that have been wiped out.

Never happen they dont trust us enough .. As P95 said the rivers of blood thing they all ready think we have itchy trigger fingers

itchy trigger fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Never happen they dont trust us enough .. As P95 said the rivers of blood thing they all ready think we have itchy trigger fingers
    Why don't more folks start a good PR program in the local community? In many ways we are our own worst enemies. Teach Eddie Eagle to school kids. I have taught it in local Christian schools and to home school kids. If the kids come home telling about how nice a guy Mr Jones is, maybe mom and dad will have no reason to doubt his sincerity when the SHTF.

Assistant Administrator
    Why don't more folks start a good PR program in the local community?
    At a local level many folks try this - tho I guess we can never do enough.

Biggest problems are from much higher levels I think - the Brady Bunch mentality - wanting control as against considering sound logic.

They are so closed minded I cannot see much influencing them at all and it is they unfortunately who's voices are most heard and affect the decision-making processes.

Pity common sense is so lacking where it really matters.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links