Battle of New Orleans, part 2

This is a discussion on Battle of New Orleans, part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I lived in New Orleans for 15 years and was there when Andrew and several other hurricanes came through the area, so I have a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of New Orleans, part 2

Battle of New Orleans, part 2

I lived in New Orleans for 15 years and was there when Andrew and several other hurricanes came through the area, so I have a pretty good idea what it was like during the storm. My family and I and only moved to Texas about 2 years ago when my wife got a promotion at work and was transferred by her job. If that hadn't happened, I'd have still been there last weekend myself. My sister-in-law, three of her kids as well as three of their friends (along with 7 of their dogs) got to my house Sunday and are now living with us. It may be October before they will be able to get back and see if they still have a home to return to.

I know the mindset there and it's going to be like a third world country (think of the movie "Black Hawk Down") for a long time to come, particularly in the downtown and "projects" areas. The looting has already started, the animals are loose in the streets and the inmates have taken over the asylum! I wouldn't go to some areas of New Orleans - even if I had a machine gun - in normal times so I can only imagine what it will be like now! While they all have my sympathy and prayers, I'm not surprised that things have gone to hell so quickly and can only thank God I left when I did.

The worst part to me is that this was so predictable for anyone familiar with the city. There are certain elements of society that use any excuse to cause mayhem and take advantage of their neighbors and that is precisely what is going on now. We're seeing the wolves and scavengers emerging to prey on the weak and defenseless.

Anyway, I guess I'm try to say that while New Orleans may be a worst case scenario, something similar could happen to any of us if a major breakdown in government or a natural disaster were to hit us where we live. As has often been stated here and graphically shown on television the past few days, when the crap really hit's the fan, we have nobody but ourselves to depend on, so we'd better be prepared!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I live in the Pensacola Fla. area and we were (for the most part)spared the wrath of Katrina. I sympathize with the law abideing N.O. residents. The cops are the "lone sherriffs in the west". Good luck to them. If they aren't (can't)gonna arrest the scumbag looters then take away their handcuffs and issue them cattle prods. We went through Ivan and Dennis. In prep for both storms my wife and I put "essentials" in our safe room. MRE's,water,cash and credit cards---AND--- several weapons. Including a AK,12 mags,and 1000 rds. of ammo. If our neighborhood is destroyed I will protect what my wife and I have left. I feel that the courts and jurys will be on my side for trying to protect what is mine during a disaster of this magnatude. When Katrina was approaching N.O. and they ordered a evacuation notice,I told my wife that there will be potential looters that will purposely stay behind. No power,no alarms,few or no LEO's = looters paradise. Sad ! ----------

It was great.... yesterday while watching the coverage of the N.O. looting a "on the scene"reporter was saying how the people were taking things to be able to feed themselves and their children. The camera pans around and you see several people coming out of one store with a cart load of tennis shoes and two guys were carrying a big screen TV. The reporter was "speechless" !---------

Administrator

Exclamation

Let's Leave It At The Fact That There Will Probably Be Even More Looting and that things will get a whole lot worse before they get any better.
    This is a true survival situation that we should all get ourselves educated by paying very close attention to whatever events unfold. It is one HUGE Tactical Scenario.
    We can learn a great deal from this while we hope for the best for the innocent and law~abiding people that are caught up in the middle of this.

Our entire Human Population of MAN started out as Hunters, Gatherers, and (Yes) Scavengers.

If something similar...like a 3 Mile Island or a Bio~Terror Attack were to happen in a different area of the country it would likely be a totally different segment of the population acting like predatory wolves.
    The hungry wolves are everywhere and they wear many types of wolf clothing.
    I know that you will all pay attention to the forum rules.
    There is no world shortage of albino wolves who will also take every opportunity to feed on the helpless and the innocent.
    Dire situations, mayhem, chaos, and a breakdown of Law & Order always create predators and takers.
    It has been that way since before the Ice Age & it is not idiosyncratic to any specific segment of any human population.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Even if the cops were to make arrest, were are they going to put the criminals? Plus, the primary mission now has to be SAR. That pretty much leaves people in a state of natural law.

As an officer, I can assure you that there aren't many things more frustrating than seeing such obvious crimes and being able to do nothing about them. Another frustrating thing is that officers and such have to abandon their own families during such times, and that is something that never comes to public light.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

You know, as someone who gets ridiculed sometimes for being "paranoid", when something like this happens, suddenly you become the "prepared" one.

In about a week and a half we'll be demoted back to "paranoid" again.

We laugh at our SHTF threads and whatnot, but guess what the SHTF in Louisiana right now. Happens all the time.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter

This is a true survival situation that we should all get ourselves educated by paying very close attention to whatever events unfold. It is one HUGE Tactical Scenario.
    We can learn a great deal from this while we hope for the best for the innocent and law~abiding people that are caught up in the middle of this.

Depending on what part of the country you live in and the potential natural disasters that could occur there, this is a good time to review your own preparations and think about life without utilities and other basic services for extended periods.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

There have been reports of police officers looting right alongside the others.
    In relation to my field, my wife saw a scene on TV, under an overpass, with many many inmates sitting down in the open, with armed corrections offcier watching over them. How long will that be? How long until attention from tired, overworked, worried sick officers flags, and allows an inmate to jump, even restrained...Prison reportedly flooded - I wonder when we'll get our first shipment of Louisiana inmates for temp housing - we'll stack 'em for them!
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

Assistant Administrator
    ''Civilization'' is a way more fragile thing than most think - sheeple happily assume that, the paper comes each morning and so does the mail. There is power to heat their pop tarts and keep the fridge/freezer running. They are happy with their 2.4 kids, 2 cars, and golf on saturday!!

BUT! Soon as the facade of civilization developes a crack or worse - oh how things can change. Probably 90% of sheeple category will go into a catatonic state of shock and have little resource to react. Many would perish. Then the other side of the coin is the predator category - these come out of the woodwork quickly, instance looting and probably too victimization of the weak.

Between these two is most of us. Some thought at least given to ways to survive - after all survival is name of the game. That means having enough personal resources to ''manage'' - plus, and very important - the means also to defend those resources and one's family. Things can get nasty real quick.

The coming weeks will predictably yield some horror stories in many forms.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    You know, as someone who gets ridiculed sometimes for being "paranoid", when something like this happens, suddenly you become the "prepared" one.
    After reading Preacherman's thread here, I think I'm going to keep my "preparedness" low-profile. I'd love to help those in need, but there's that fine line between law-abiding and insane lawlessness that gets tripped over when those in need turn desperate. Read his thread - it's a great list of things you need to keep in mind for your own SHTF scenario, and how others react during it.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I have two county LEO's that live very close to me in my subdivision. We have a understanding that I will respond to their residence while they are on duty. They and their wives have my Nextel direct connect number in their phones. If they have to spend long hours on duty they know that I will protect their houses and families as I would my own. I drive by their houses at night and early morning when on my way hunting. Imediately after the last 3 storms I went over to their residence to see if their wives were ok and/or needed anything.They swing by my house to and from work and when coming home for lunch/supper. If I am out in the front yard they stop and we STS for a few minutes(they are very pro gun/CCW also). It always helps to have people know that you have friends in LE. Also to see a crusier sitting out front. I appreciate their friendship and they appreciate the fact that I would go over to their house in the middle of the night if their wife had any kind of problem(I have done this twice in the last year). Our county is very large and if on duty at the far northern end,it could take them 30-45 minutes to get home. We need to stick together(civilians and LEO's) against the BG's to ensure that all our families are safe.---------

Cool LIFE: It's all a matter of SURVIVAL!

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Depending on what part of the country you live in and the potential natural disasters that could occur there, this is a good time to review your own preparations and think about life without utilities and other basic services for extended periods.
    LOL TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! I just got power back YESTERDAY here in Miami (first Katrina Strike). We were without power for three days after Andrew and I was a captain in the national guard, THEN. This time I'm an old civvie and we lost power for a lot longer. In fact, although the heat and MISERY brought back fond (???) memories of distant jungles, it was too much for the wife and pups, so we packed up and found a cool motel in Fort Meyers on the west coast of Florida for a couple of days. I treated that trip as a survival situation, taking my Glock M27 and 200 rds of ammo (73 loaded into mags) and my Mini14 with 300rds of ammo (90 loaded into mags) I was not in a mood to play games.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Exclamation September 11th Anniversary appoacheth

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ''Civilization'' is a way more fragile thing than most think - sheeple happily assume that, the paper comes each morning and so does the mail. There is power to heat their pop tarts and keep the fridge/freezer running. They are happy with their 2.4 kids, 2 cars, and golf on saturday!!

BUT! Soon as the facade of civilization developes a crack or worse - oh how things can change. Probably 90% of sheeple category will go into a catatonic state of shock and have little resource to react. Many would perish. Then the other side of the coin is the predator category - these come out of the woodwork quickly, instance looting and probably too victimization of the weak.

Between these two is most of us. Some thought at least given to ways to survive - after all survival is name of the game. That means having enough personal resources to ''manage'' - plus, and very important - the means also to defend those resources and one's family. Things can get nasty real quick.

The coming weeks will predictably yield some horror stories in many forms.
    You don't know the HALF of it, but I suspect you DO. We're due for another major terror attack. What better time than a point when emergency services and DHS are stretched to the limit & the national guards of multiple states are engaged in rescue efforts and our economy is sinking as fast as gas prices rise.

From my research, there has been an ENOURMOUS confluence of articles both web and print about an impending act of Nuclear Terrorism. They call it the American Hiroshima. Do a google or dogpile search on that term and see what you get. My question is what does the media and the government know that we don't? Is this a way of prepping us for an act that they know is imminent and cannot stop? Wanna see the sheeple and the wolves really come out? Reminds me of an old 1950's post apocalyptic movie Panic in the Year ZERO! Watch the sheep fall; the wolves thrive and the sheepdogs (most folks here) try to hold civilization together. God help us all.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I've just read that there are bands of looters in the BIG EASY that have specifically targeted the GUN STORES and that the French Quarter (this is the term used) is "UNDER ATTACK." That there are also bands of refugees and looters roving all through the South.

Man, this is beginning to seem like MAD MAX more and more, especially the loss of gasoline!

Administrator

Post ExSoldier762

Yes, I CAN confirm that I personally heard that on CNN this afternoon AKA ~ "Many" of the gun stores/shops have been looted in New Orleans and that people are walking around with guns. (to quote CNN)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links