Castle Doctrine in Mississippi in the news

This is a discussion on Castle Doctrine in Mississippi in the news within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Our local NBC affiliate did a report on the Castle Doctrine that passed here last year. No slant or hidden anti agenda. Refreshing... Jackson 02/07/08 ...

Our local NBC affiliate did a report on the Castle Doctrine that passed here last year. No slant or hidden anti agenda. Refreshing...
    Jackson 02/07/08
    Castle Law: Shoot or Don't Shoot?

By Howard Ballou
    howard@wlbt.net

Mississippi recently joined a growing number of states adopting a version of the "Castle Doctrine." In a nutshell, the law removes the requirement that citizens must first seek a safe retreat from an intruder before using deadly force.

That raises an important question: Shoot or don't shoot?

Jennifer Koenigsberger was a on a routine grocery run when she was attacked in the parking lot by someone who wanted her purse.

"I got about 2 or 3 steps in front of him, and he attacked me from behind," she recalls.

Shoot or don't shoot? If you said shoot, the law is on your side.

Koenigsberger was not armed at the time, but under Mississippi's new Castle Law she would have been justified shooting her attacker.

"Her life and or her property is in imminent danger, so she has the right to do whatever she has to do to take care of herself -- including shooting him, running over him with the car, dragging him behind, whatever she's got to do to make herself safe," said Assistant Chief Lee Vance of the Jackson Police Department.

Jennifer's husband, Mark Koenigsberger, supports the legislation, saying he wouldn't hesitate to use deadly force.

"Especially with what happened to my wife and the way that it's changed her life," he said.

In 2007, Mississippi joined Tennessee and Missouri lawmakers adopting new provisions to the law commonly called the Castle Doctrine. In this state it allows anyone with or without a gun license to shoot an intruder who unlawfully comes into your house or the building you are visiting. You could even shoot a person trying to carjack you.

Paul Merritt is manager of Surplus City, a Clinton gunshop and firing range. He says people are taking this law seriously. Sales of firearms haven't necessarily spiked since the Castle Law went into effect, because so many Mississippians already own guns. However, they are sharpening their skills.

"We're having a lot more people come in and practice," Merritt said. "That's probably one of the best things they could do is practice."

Austin Prowant's never been faced with a decision to use deadly force, and he hopes he never is. But he likes the fact that he can if necessary.

"Mostly because if criminals know other people can shoot back, that's going to deter it themselves," Prowant said.

Assistant Police Chief Vance says the Castle Law won't change the way police do their jobs, but he, too, believes "locked and loaded" Mississippians can send a message to criminals.

"Maybe this will come into the back of their mind, and they may change their mind," Vance said. "Hopefully it will be a deterrent."

And maybe moms like Jennifer Koenigsberger won't have to suffer the pain of being a victim.

Assistant Chief Vance strongly recommends you learn how to properly handle a gun if you plan to own one. So far, there have been only two Castle Law cases in Jackson where deadly force was used.

Thanks for posting. A bit refreshing I suppose, we'll see if there is any reader feedback!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by spydad View Post
    Assistant Police Chief Vance says the Castle Law won't change the way police do their jobs, but he, too, believes "locked and loaded" Mississippians can send a message to criminals.
    Now this is my kind of Assistant Police Chief.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Strange as it may sound, the California Home Owner's Bill of Rights pretty much gives CA citizens the same rights. However, the BG must FORCE his way into a home. If he walks thru an unlocked door you've really screwed up big time.

Does the MS Castle Doctrine protect the shooter from civil suit filed by the family/friends of the shot up BG?

TN lawmakers added a paragraph protecting the shooter. Nice, very nice.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Now that's my kind of Police Chief!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    Does the MS Castle Doctrine protect the shooter from civil suit filed by the family/friends of the shot up BG?

TN lawmakers added a paragraph protecting the shooter. Nice, very nice.
    Yes, MS did the same

This needs to be nationwide. I'm at least glad my state did it. BG may think twice knowing if they so much as stick there head in your window you can push them out with an 870.
    I don't understand willing victims.
    How many states have a castle doctrine type law in place?
    How many make you try to run first? I get tired when I run!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member
    Not sure if Castle Doctrine is in the works for VA, but I would like to see it come.

Tough decision to shoot over property, I wouldn't; but, a attack on my family or me is different.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

eww

Thumbs up

"Sales of firearms haven't necessarily spiked since the Castle Law went into effect, because so many Mississippians already own guns."

I do like living here.

Links