Wake up time?

This is a discussion on Wake up time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We had Bruce's ''trouble sleeping'' thread but hey - what about ''TTC'' - time to consciousness?? I have to admit, and this ain't just an ...

Thread: Wake up time?

Assistant Administrator

Wake up time?

We had Bruce's ''trouble sleeping'' thread but hey - what about ''TTC'' - time to consciousness??

I have to admit, and this ain't just an old age thing - I am usually ''sleep sodden'' at first waking, whether a long sleep or short. Wife and I both seem to need that first coffee (or two!) and some time to ''surface''.

The serious aspect to this is - I know very well, my vision is not so clear and, even I expect my reactions - slower. So not a good time when considering defensive aspects.

I really do not know how best to deal with this - tho I am aware that a major ''event'' will bypass it seems much of this, after which reaction sets in! Not so long ago - I rose late - wife had gone to work and I heard, (thought I heard ''hellooo'' as if from front door area.

I scrambled into clothes quicker than I'd ever dream possible and was out of bedroom in double quick time - piece in hand behind back. Chances are I dreamed that - but it seemed real.

I do not like ''first thing'' - it is a bad time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Howdy, Chris!
    Good thread.
    I've taken this into consideration, and trained accordingly. Long gone are the days when I slowly came awake to the sound of the alarm blaring.
    Nowadays, when alerted by an out of place soud, I snap awake instantly, executing a "tactical" roll out of bed. While rolling, I draw my Glock 22 from my right thigh holster, which is all I wear while sleeping. I land in a crouch with the weapon at low ready, and scan the room for intruders. I then low crawl to the bathroom, where I use the facilities, still maintaining my low ready hold on my gun, er, weapon. I perform another low crawl down the stairs to the kitchen, where I activate my "tactically" mounted (i.e., on the floor) coffee maker. This is to confuse any intruders with the smell and sound. I then check the rest of the downstairs, and if all is clear, I retreat to the upstairs bathroom to annoint my privates with aloe, the better to relieve the rug burn.

"Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Assistant Administrator
    Fjol' - LOL - I now have a new practice discipline to try out

I like the Aloe angle - Bwhaha
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I found out how fsast I can be up, alert and armed a few weeks back. The dog was barking in the living room. Before I realized what I was doing I was crouched with USP in hand at the bedroom doorway. Turns out it was a stray cat wandering by, but good practice run in case something does happen.

All depends i guess first you have to sleep to be woke up .. Have a lot of problems with the sleeping part lately..

Some days i can come right out of i other i cant but if say the house alarm went off id say i would be right up becuse it is really really loud

Talking

Many years of listening for klaxons as a member of a SAC aircrew, make my wakeup at anything unusual very fast.

PS....Kelvar jockies will help protect those delicate parts during the low crawl.
    Last edited by KC135; September 1st, 2005 at 01:39 PM. Reason: And
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

I would probably not hear a thing. I sleep with a floor fan beside the bed on high because there's a daycare center in the bottom part of the house. It's gotten so bad that I can't sleep unless the fan is on. But, if there is a sound that does waken me, I'm wide awake as soon as i hear it.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I spent 7.5 years on submarines and it completely changed the way I sleep. I can sleep through just about anything that is there day to day. Lawnmowers, trucks on the street. But anything sounding like an alarm I am awake instantly. Also, a change in sound level like my airconditioner turning off will get me up the same way. The best part is I cannot be awakened by the standard shake and push women like to use but all you have to do is whisper my name (that is how wakeups were done for watch on the boat) and I am fully awake. My girlfirend found this very amuzing when we first met.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

I think it depends on sleep cycle. One can train to reduce time to consciousness from a light sleep, but anyone who experiences periods of NREM sleep and accompanying sleep paralysis has to overcome the mental and physical confusion that results when they are startled to wakefulness from those stages of sleep.

As an EMT, I was fine if the alarm happened when I was in a stage of light sleep, but it was hell if I happened to be in deep sleep when the alarm went off. After a few cases of needing extra time to become fully focused and coordinated, I chose not to bunk down during a shift.

You can train yourself to wake up faster, but you can't completely overcome the physiological effects of sleep on your body. If you aren't careful, though, you can disturb your sleep patterns enough that all you accomplish is lost sleep and impaired judgement.

I have tried to compensate for sleepiness by having everything in its place at night, so I know exactly where things are when I turn in. That way, even though I am not fully awake, I don't lose time fumbling while I try to figure out where everything is.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Links