Security Issues

Security Issues

This is a discussion on Security Issues within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My post about light sleeping got many replies and most say they have 1 or 2 obsticles for the BG to get through (alarm & ...

Thread: Security Issues

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar

Security Issues

My post about light sleeping got many replies and most say they have 1 or 2 obsticles for the BG to get through (alarm & big dog). Well I have no alarm, and no dog (don't bash me to hard, but I have cats, never realy liked dogs), so my only "security" is a locked door(old door at that) and my "light sleeping". I can't afford a fancy alarm system, and my neighborhood is mainly people 60+ years old, so its "sorta" safe. Well I got to thinking with all the stuff thats going on in the world I need to be better prepared (for my wifes sake as well as mine). So I did some thinking and came up with a idea on how to create a alarm system for my house that would wake us up(as well as the rest of the neighborhood) and defently scare the BG hopefully into retreating, and it only costed me $15 at my local junk yard. I found 2 spring loaded micro switches(cause I have 2 doors) and 4 horns off car alarm systems(aftermarket type super loud ones) and a trickle charger that plugs in to AC and keeps your DC battery charged at all times. Now I wired up the switches to the tops of the doors and put 2 horns inside(one upstairs and one downstairs) and 2 outside, wired all to a 3 way on-off switch that is right next to our staircase(to activate on our way up to go to bed) and one is hidden on our porch outside to activate when we leave. Now ya know how loud a car alarm is when your in a parking lot?? Just amaigine 2 of them in your house and 2 outside. I have told several neighbors to keep their eyers peeled for me and if they hear it to call the police, and if they see our vehicles home to call 911 then stay low.
    Just wanted to share my idea with ya guys and gals who don't have alot of money, and want some sort of security.

Cool

In your situation, LOW TECH is most effective. You want to be able to discern from traffic & street noise. So try the old 'Nam trick for perimeter wires: String beer cans with rocks inside across entry points to make a distinctive "rattling" sound. Use bangles and glass and other metallic stuff to enhance the volume. Heck, in an area with no breeze (normally) a suspended WIND CHIME that you can get at any garden store would do fine.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    Bruce - indeed low tech will often do nicely.

Main thing here is we aren't looking at a system for when house empty, and so maybe it could be disabled easily when no one home - tho if wiring subtle in placement then even so - it might be hard to see.

Instead this is a simple audible warning deal and in fact - for a bit more expense - you could set up a coupla motion sensing units in appropraite places and hook those to sirens. Amazing what can be done for not too much cash.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Try Cheaperthandirt.com. They have a door stop alarm that cost $10.00. You place it under your door, like a door stop, and if someone tries to enter it sounds an alarm. You grab your gun and dispatch the intruder. Can't get much simpler or cheaper than that.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Main thing here is we aren't looking at a system for when house empty, and so maybe it could be disabled easily when no one home - tho if wiring subtle in placement then even so - it might be hard to see.
    I am able to turn it on or off from the inside or the outside I have a 3 way switch setup. All the wires are behind the moldings, the wires to the battery run through a hole in the floor in our corner cabnit of our dinning room, then to the basement where the battery and charger are located. The actual horns are mounted out of sight on top of cabnits inside and mounted under the roof overhang on the outside. The only thing that took some creativity was the switch to make it all work. I mounted the switch inside the door molding and used a modified hinge type door stoper to activate it. I had to make the door stoper a spring instead of being solid or the door would have to open all the way to be activated, hope ya understand, I'll try and get a pic of it.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    Try Cheaperthandirt.com. They have a door stop alarm that cost $10.00. You place it under your door, like a door stop, and if someone tries to enter it sounds an alarm. You grab your gun and dispatch the intruder. Can't get much simpler or cheaper than that.
    That is pretty simple, I doubt as it would ba as loud though, but a whole lot less work to install.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...1077AJV7839F0B

Links