To Lanyard - or not to Lanyard

This is a discussion on To Lanyard - or not to Lanyard within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I rarely see lanyards in use, except in some military use. Occasionally I see in LE use, I think due primarily to "tradition". Also in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Lanyard - or not to Lanyard

To Lanyard - or not to Lanyard

I rarely see lanyards in use, except in some military use. Occasionally I see in LE use, I think due primarily to "tradition". Also in other countries.

I understand that a lanyard is a "potential" (yet avoidable in my opinion) tangle issue. I often think of what I might do if in a close scuffle and could I lose my grip on my weapon.

My question:

If a lanyard were well designed and set up to not inhibit drawing, can you provide an intelligent, well thought out, reason why they should not be used?
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Why do you need one? Even if it is attached to you , it can still be turned on you. I use one, but for camping, hiking outdoor stuff where losing the gun could mean never finding it again.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The purpose of using a lanyard is so you do not lose your piece of equipment. I say equipment because the Army ties every thing down!! LOL
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 10th, 2008 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling.

VIP Member
    I think a lanyard, like weapon retention techniques (a la Lindell method), a magazine disconnect safety and a manual safety, is another "tool" in the retention "toolbox." One that can certainly help if your head is in the game and you're trained in the weapon retention drills.

That said, there is a danger in getting the lanyard hung up on stuff. That said as well, I used one when/if I have an exposed firearm during warrant executions.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Why do you need one? Even if it is attached to you , it can still be turned on you. I use one, but for camping, hiking outdoor stuff where losing the gun could mean never finding it again.
    To answer this, I think the purpose is to not have my weapon get "too" far away if I lose it in a scffle or a fall.

Also, reaquisition is as simple as yanking the cord/weapon back to me. If the BG gets to it...it is a sure bet that I will never find it.

I have no strong feeling either way...I was just pondering the notion.

Any more thoughts?
    "If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men." Romans 12:18
    ...if not...be prepared to meet Mr.10mm, .45, .40 or any one of their little brothers.

VIP Member
    There is no way that I'm aware of to make a lanyard 'tangle free' or to be certain that it will not inhibit the draw and/or manipulation of the weapon. I can see very little use for them in CCW scenarios.

If you open carry, and/or spend a lot of time mountain climbing and skydiving with your pistol, then I could see more utility.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I've used a lanyard extensively and I've never had it get in the way or tangle. However, I've never used one for civillian CCW use. A telephone cord hanging beneath your jacket or shirt is somewhat suspicious.

Here's a question for you: If your freefalling into a combat theater do you use an extra tie down for your M4 ? and what do use in the pistol holster during the same freefall or airborne operation ?

Ya think and airborne strap around the grip of the weapon might be a good idea ? Think a pistol lanyard would be good when fast roping from an UH-60 ? Do you use your sling for your rifle when rappelling out of a Huey ???
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

VIP Member
    Well, of course, Skygod, but most of us aren't HALOing into Wal-Mart or locking out of a sub to get to that good sea food restaraunt...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

In boy scouts we tied our pocket knives to lanyards. Comes in hand in the woods.

Pistol....I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Well, of course, Skygod, but most of us aren't HALOing into Wal-Mart or locking out of a sub to get to that good sea food restaraunt...
    That doesn't mean it wouldn't be fun!

Lead Moderator
    Having used a lanyard for years out in the boonies , I really don't have a need for CCW carry with one. They do tend to get in the way sometimes and I see them as a added potential problem during CCW use.
    I suppose if you get your gun knocked away during a scuffle , then can run away your pistol could drag behind you and possibly stay with you. But I feel more than likely you will not be able to disengage easily from situation where you need to draw in the first place. Just my 2 cents.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    LMAO............................only from a 75th guy.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Some concealed weapons use comes after HTH ... a lanyard could be a darn good hold on you by the bg.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Being one that reads lots of obscure and odd stuff (look where I am now), I found a reference to the "proper" use and value of a lanyard:
    If the lanyard is properly adjusted to the user, and it is thus wrapped around the neck and under the shoulder of the user, when pushed against it gives the shooter stability equal to a stocked weapon because it provides 3-point stabilization to the weapon (the hand, the neck, and the under-arm/shoulder) even from otherwise unstable platforms (such as horseback, with the other hand needed for control).
    This is not a direct transcription - it is from memory - but it is what I remember reading. I don't know if I can remember or find the original source, but if I do I will re-post it and give the reference. I do know that I read it years (decades?) ago, and I was amazed at how effective the technique really is! I tried it around the neck, and also around the neck-and-shoulder, and both are amazingly effective at reducing the shake and drift from one-handed shooting. Try it sometime, you'll be amazed too.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Administrator

I have used a surplus MIL lanyard when out with the ol' canoe since I don't want my firearm to end up in a watery grave.
    I've never used one for every day carry.

For sure I would never use an old style pistol lanyard on a EDC.
    Too many possible disadvantages that outweigh any advantage.

Suggestion:
    For the minimal price try a neat unit like the Gear Keeper Retractable Pistol Lanyard if you feel any need at all for a daily carry lanyard.

It should come up in a Google search. I don't know who is selling them these days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links