Logistics - how to carry a second service sized gun.

This is a discussion on Logistics - how to carry a second service sized gun. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all. I have been a member of this forum for awhile, however I mostly lurk about in the shadows as suggested by the maxim ...

Thread: Logistics - how to carry a second service sized gun.

Hello all.
    I have been a member of this forum for awhile, however I mostly lurk about in the shadows as suggested by the maxim "better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

To get to the point i was wondering if any of you wore a "brace" of handguns, and if so how does that work. I'm wondering about reloads and other EDC equipment.

I'd also like to hear from you if you carry a bug on your waist, same kinda questions.

I currently carry an XD 45c IWB, and a 642 pocket or ankle.
    I am considering carrying 2 XDs for interchangeability purposes if i can find a practicle way to do so.

Thanks in advance for your help!

VIP Member
    While I think having two carry guns that use the same magazines is a great idea, carrying two service-sized guns is stretching it a bit.

That said, I guess you can make the concept work with two XD45C's, but they still aren't the smallest guns in the world. Still, if you really want to carry both, I suggest getting maybe carrying one in a Smart Carry holster. Keep the primary behind your hip in an IWB.

Admittingly, I used to carry a Kahr P9 Covert in an IWB holster behind my hip and a Kahr PM9 in a weak-side pocket holster as my backup. Both used the same 9mm six-round magazine and are both polymer-framed guns with the primary difference being the longer slide length of the Covert, similar in concept to the Colt CCO (Commander slide/barrel, Officers ACP frame).

Same idea as yours applied differently; I think it worked excellently since both guns were very flat and lightweight.

Personally, I would keep the S&W 642 in a pocket holster (with one or two Bianchi Speed Strips for reloads) as your backup. It is an excellent gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Thanks for the reply srfl. I love your sig by the way, except it should read...
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947, except Security Forces! J/K

VIP Member
    Hill AFB?

You "big" AF guys....always razzing us "little" AF guys.

Be safe....and a very belated "welcome to the forum."
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

First of all great questions, and in the past Iíve known a couple people who carried two sidearms, but for the life of me, I never did understand why.

When, I'm jointing down to the local store, I donít see a reason, but when I have to go to less than desirable locations, I normally carry a G19 strong side at 4 Oíclock OWB, and then a NAA 22 in my back pocket.

As to carrying two service size sidearms; I just donít see the point, and it could be confusing. The Feds and State Police teach there officers to always carry there sidearm in the same location, and to practice drawing from that location.

There test is:

To draw and firing two rounds in 3 seconds at 7 yards, to hit an 8-inch target.

And then at 10 yards, 5 rounds in 7 seconds, at the same 8-inch target.

If you want a second handgun for reliability issues, I would recommend getting another handgun that you can trust.

Well, thatís my 2-cents worth.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the idea of a full-size backup/alternate/off-hand-gun if you feel you can pull it off.

There is a guy on another forum that carries two USP compacts. IIRC, he uses two IWB rigs, one at about 4:00 and one at about 8:00.

When I carry my BUG on the waistline, I use a revolver with Barami Hip-Grips (works the same way as the "clip-draw") at 1:00 and my Glock at 4:00.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

You could always go shoulder holster if you wanted to carry two full size guns.

Andrews Custom Leather - Urban Safari Rig

Quote Originally Posted by Rocnerd View Post
    You could always go shoulder holster if you wanted to carry two full size guns.

Andrews Custom Leather - Urban Safari Rig
    I have a friend that carries two Beretta 96's in a double shoulder rig, with a single mag carrier on each hip.

Personally I'm fine with my CW9 as a BUG, but if you want to go service size all the way around, I can't think of a better way than with a shoulder rig.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

If my daily travels took me to the "bad" parts of town for extended periods of time I might consider two sidearms. I have had that need only once, and did have two on me in the event I was somehow disarmed.

My daily excursions don't usually require this level of preparation so I am generally fine with one handgun and maybe an extra mag.

VIP Member
    I would think you'd get tired of hauling around two full sized weapons. The set-up you have with the BUG is as much as I would carry.

When I was a LEO I had a S&W 4506 and a 4516 as a BUG, both could use the same magazines. As practice as it seemed, it was a real pain in the butt!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sponsored Links