LEO advice: Travelling through Missouri and Arkansas

This is a discussion on LEO advice: Travelling through Missouri and Arkansas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be taking a trip later this month (driving through Missouri. and Arkansas) and was curious about traffic stops with LEOs while carrying. Do ...

Thread: LEO advice: Travelling through Missouri and Arkansas

New Member Array Sinistersixguns's Avatar

I will be taking a trip later this month (driving through Missouri. and Arkansas) and was curious about traffic stops with LEOs while carrying. Do both states require you to notify the LEO that you are a permit holder/carrying (in KS you don't have to notify unless they ask). What about if you are a passenger in a traffic stop? Still required to notify? If so, what is the best way to let them know? Any advice from LEOs or CCW instructors would be appreciated....as well as any other pertinent information that I have forgotten to inqire about. Thanks

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum.

Neither AR nor MO statutes require that you notify a contacting LEO, so it's entirely your choice. My policy is to not attract the attention of LEOs.

Similar facts can be found for all states at Handgunlaw.us

Don't speed or commit violations of lawful conveyance and you won't have to concern yourself with these issues.

That's easier said than done, I know. It's just that I've been waiting to say that, so I said it. I'm really not trying to be a "wiesenhiemer" and I do hope you find your answers. I also hope you have a safe and pleasant trip.

Biker

Talking

SS, as Anubis said you do not have to inform in Arkansas. BUT I know of several officers who believe you do. Most officers in the the state I know believe that if you are licensed you are a good guy. And several have said in meetings that they do not really care if Arkansas reconizes your state, and you would have to be doing stupid stuff to have it come up. Being out of state most officers would like you to inform or show your CHL license when pulled over, and not have any problem with you carring. As for a traffic stop as a passenger in a normal traffic stop just sit there. If asked for ID as a passenger, then a little more than usual is going own and best inform when you present you ID.

All usual rules apply, be polite, hands in sight, no sudden movements... Also if I was the one stopping you and as we are likely to have a little time for the out of state return. If you are to only one in the car you will most likely be asked what you are carring, were, what holster, and how you like the rig. We have to carry conceled off duty and our chief thinks this is a big thing, so I alway like to know any better way to carry..... I hope this helps

I’ve traveled all across the country and figured what they didn’t know would not hurt them. If I was asked to step out of the vehicle then I advised the officer. Well, thinking back not always.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Don't speed or commit violations of lawful conveyance and you won't have to concern yourself with these issues.

That's easier said than done, I know. It's just that I've been waiting to say that, so I said it. I'm really not trying to be a "wiesenhiemer" and I do hope you find your answers. I also hope you have a safe and pleasant trip.

Biker
    Years back in the hippie years I was constantly being pulled over for driving left of center whenever I drove through some small town. Now that most my hair has fallen out I no longer have that problem.

My guess is that when ya have long hair it caused your veichle pull to the center of the road. Thats the only explanation that I can think of.

Michael

Senior Moderator
    It is not required to do so in Arkansas. The reason that many LEO's think that it is,is because the state wants the CHL Instructors to "recommend" that people make the LEO aware of their permit. Although most instructors do recommend it, it is not a requirement to do so. As an Instructor and a LEO,I have "coached"several LEO's on this matter.

Back when the law originated, the CHL was not tied to the DL,since then things have changed and now LEO's are made aware of it when they run your DL.
    If your state Drivers Liscence is tied to your handgun permit, they will know, otherwise they will not. If you tell them that you have it, it wont hurt a thing and they will appreciate it.

Since Kansas is recipricol with Ar, it wont be an issue.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links