Applied At An Armored Truck Company

This is a discussion on Applied At An Armored Truck Company within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; today. They are all armed. They made me disarm before entry. Thought it was weird. Make sure I wasn't taking over the building with my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

today. They are all armed. They made me disarm before entry. Thought it was weird. Make sure I wasn't taking over the building with my one pistol to their several dozen pistols and shotguns...lol...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Good deal. Let us know how it ends up. Good luck!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

if you don't mind me asking...which company?

i tried to apply at loomis & fargo and because i was over $4,000. in debt,they wouldn't even allow me to apply(on-line) (did send e-mail inquiring)

hope you get the job.it's something i wouldn't mind doing for a living...
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

THANKS ALL... i have my fingers crossed!
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

berettaguy: pm sent

Not to Hijack this thread but does anyone know where these positions start financially? I am moving to tampa, FL and will be in need of a job.

In Seattle they start around $12.50 an hour and are (mostly) Unionized with a regular pay raise schedule.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I hate to say it; but, I wouldn't do it. I've seen so many mistakes that these folks make that a armed pack of 10 year olds could take them out up here. I don't know about other areas of the country.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I hate to say it but I wouldn't do it.

You aren't the only one and quite frankly I can't figure out why anybody would want the job. They just can't pay me enough to be a professional target.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I hate to say it; but, I wouldn't do it. I've seen so many mistakes that these folks make that a armed pack of 10 year olds could take them out up here. I don't know about other areas of the country.
    Mistakes... like these: YouTube Worst Shot in the World ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    You aren't the only one and quite frankly I can't figure out why anybody would want the job. They just can't pay me enough to be a professional target.
    My current Manager was an Armored Car District Manager for just under ten years. He quit after his fifteenth phone call to ask a family member to come to the hospital. Not a good ratio (they weren't all necessarily killed, but all were shot, 15 in 10 years).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I've always thought those guys should be carrying AR-15's. At least they wouldn't be out gunned unless the BG's show up in force with their own combat weapons.

All the ones I see around here have what I guess are company issued .38s.

No thanks...give me a 1911 and a 870
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

VIP Member
    Good luck with that.

Presumably, anyone who carries already understands that everyone is a potential target. Whether you work in a high-end jewelry store or drive an armored truck, anyone who has something that scumbags want for nothing is a target. The main difference in the armored courier business is that they not only allow their employees to defend themselves with guns, it's a requirement of the job.

That said, training can always be improved. I'd say that's basically true for most PD's too. There's no doubt in my mind that the vast majority of civilians who carry are woefully under-trained, but generally, when someone gets a new CWP and announces it around here, they get congratulations and good advice, not lectures about how imbecilic they're going to look in their first (if ever) combat situation, which is how it should be IMHO. I don't know why it should be any different for someone who's considering a job where they *get* to be armed with the blessings of their employer!

I just started with the "other" company than the one already mentioned in this thread and I haven't found fault with the security policies for their messengers (the guys and gals who leave the truck and go in and out of customers' businesses) or their drivers (which is what I am as of now), but I do see individuals who easily become complacent and slough off the policies and training, leaving themselves wide open for the kinds of attacks seen in the video above. And by the way, that particular messenger's training was either woefully lacking, or he forgot it all in the heat of battle. It appeared to me that he fired in anger, not defensively, after the threat was fleeing, which is an open invitation for lawsuits, both personally against him and against his company. Even if the BG is the one he hit and got sued by, that video would serve as the best evidence for the plaintiff in the narrow question of whether or not the guard had a justifiable reason to use deadly force when he used it. In that case, it doesn't appear that he was justified to me.

I haven't decided yet whether or not I want to get into being a messenger. I spent the last 8 years working for a delivery company where arming one's self was strictly verboten, and I was much more of a helpless, defenseless target then (or so they thought )than I have the potential to be now as an armored truck driver. The trucks are truly armored, exceeding the protection of a level III vest with steel or ceramic plates, which will stop most common rifle rounds and all but the most exotic of pistol rounds. The difference being, of course, with a vest, you still take one hel-luva blow. In the truck, you take nothing but the adreneline-dump, which is uncomfortable, but definitely survivable.

Anyway, instead of scolding someone for going after a job that appeals to them, why not wish him the best of luck and encourage him to take advantage of, and pay close attention to, the training that's available? Most of us have spent lots of money getting training in practical and defensive shooting. I just did my weapons qualifications last week and got paid to burn up about 500 rounds with an instructor who is a retired cop and qualified to certify NRA instructors. The training was top-notch, and as always, even before I was getting paid to consider such things, it's up to me to implement it so that it can live up to its potential of saving my life when things go south.

If you get called back CelticWolf, get ready for a total anal exam as far as your background and credit rating (as previously mentioned), and answer every question honestly. They won't (and really can't) tolerate little fibs, much less big lies. If you want it, go for it, and I personally wish you the best of luck. It's honest work, literally and figuratively, and the benefits ain't half-bad with my company. You could do a lot worse, believe me!

Blues

**EDITED to add:

The messengers in my company carry S&W M&P 40's with three full mags of ammo. The drivers do still carry the 38's, but there's a reason for that. Auto-loaders don't do so well sticking out of a gun-port. The slide can easily get hung up while shooting. Revolvers do just fine though, as does the 12 ga. Remington 870 that's in every truck too.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Mistakes... like these: YouTube Worst Shot in the World ?
    That just sux.......did you see how long it took him to draw?? and his horrible shooting.....
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links