Defensive Carry banner

Applied At An Armored Truck Company

8K views 44 replies 22 participants last post by  kentuckycarry 
#1 ·
today. They are all armed. They made me disarm before entry. Thought it was weird. Make sure I wasn't taking over the building with my one pistol to their several dozen pistols and shotguns...lol...

#3 ·
if you don't mind me asking...which company?

i tried to apply at loomis & fargo and because i was over $4,000. in debt,they wouldn't even allow me to apply(on-line) :rolleyes: (did send e-mail inquiring)

hope you get the job.it's something i wouldn't mind doing for a living...

#12 ·
All the ones I see around here have what I guess are company issued .38s.

No thanks...give me a 1911 and a 870

#14 ·
Presumably, anyone who carries already understands that everyone is a potential target. Whether you work in a high-end jewelry store or drive an armored truck, anyone who has something that scumbags want for nothing is a target. The main difference in the armored courier business is that they not only allow their employees to defend themselves with guns, it's a requirement of the job.

That said, training can always be improved. I'd say that's basically true for most PD's too. There's no doubt in my mind that the vast majority of civilians who carry are woefully under-trained, but generally, when someone gets a new CWP and announces it around here, they get congratulations and good advice, not lectures about how imbecilic they're going to look in their first (if ever) combat situation, which is how it should be IMHO. I don't know why it should be any different for someone who's considering a job where they *get* to be armed with the blessings of their employer!

I just started with the "other" company than the one already mentioned in this thread and I haven't found fault with the security policies for their messengers (the guys and gals who leave the truck and go in and out of customers' businesses) or their drivers (which is what I am as of now), but I do see individuals who easily become complacent and slough off the policies and training, leaving themselves wide open for the kinds of attacks seen in the video above. And by the way, that particular messenger's training was either woefully lacking, or he forgot it all in the heat of battle. It appeared to me that he fired in anger, not defensively, after the threat was fleeing, which is an open invitation for lawsuits, both personally against him and against his company. Even if the BG is the one he hit and got sued by, that video would serve as the best evidence for the plaintiff in the narrow question of whether or not the guard had a justifiable reason to use deadly force when he used it. In that case, it doesn't appear that he was justified to me.

I haven't decided yet whether or not I want to get into being a messenger. I spent the last 8 years working for a delivery company where arming one's self was strictly verboten, and I was much more of a helpless, defenseless target then (or so they thought :image035: )than I have the potential to be now as an armored truck driver. The trucks are truly armored, exceeding the protection of a level III vest with steel or ceramic plates, which will stop most common rifle rounds and all but the most exotic of pistol rounds. The difference being, of course, with a vest, you still take one hel-luva blow. In the truck, you take nothing but the adreneline-dump, which is uncomfortable, but definitely survivable.

Anyway, instead of scolding someone for going after a job that appeals to them, why not wish him the best of luck and encourage him to take advantage of, and pay close attention to, the training that's available? Most of us have spent lots of money getting training in practical and defensive shooting. I just did my weapons qualifications last week and got paid to burn up about 500 rounds with an instructor who is a retired cop and qualified to certify NRA instructors. The training was top-notch, and as always, even before I was getting paid to consider such things, it's up to me to implement it so that it can live up to its potential of saving my life when things go south.

If you get called back CelticWolf, get ready for a total anal exam as far as your background and credit rating (as previously mentioned), and answer every question honestly. They won't (and really can't) tolerate little fibs, much less big lies. If you want it, go for it, and I personally wish you the best of luck. It's honest work, literally and figuratively, and the benefits ain't half-bad with my company. You could do a lot worse, believe me!

Blues

**EDITED to add:

The messengers in my company carry S&W M&P 40's with three full mags of ammo. The drivers do still carry the 38's, but there's a reason for that. Auto-loaders don't do so well sticking out of a gun-port. The slide can easily get hung up while shooting. Revolvers do just fine though, as does the 12 ga. Remington 870 that's in every truck too.

#16 ·
Worked part time as an armored truck driver for 9 months. The trucks are JUNK, not dependable at all. Pay was terrible, (I am retired so it did not matter much). Most armored car/truck robberies involve someone inside the vehicle being in on the heist. Do not completely trust your partner(s). If anyone does this, you have to be ALERT ALL THE TIME. Never let your guard down.

#18 ·
Good luck with the job. I used to work private response armed security in Los Angeles, we responded to home and business alarms. I knew a couple of armored car guards and from what they told me and from what I personally know, there was one thing that was common for both of our jobs and that was complacency. I always took great care in being aware of my surroundings and trying to be as ready as I could be. But there were many times when I assisted someone else on a alarm call and they displayed no kind of readiness or alertness at all. And from what my friends told me they saw they same thing at their work. I asked some of my fellow co-workers why they act they way they do. They answer I usually got was something like, oh, its probably a false alarm anyway. That makes no sense to me. Not only did their lack of tactics put themselves in danger, but also me. Sure, many of the alarm calls were false alarms, but that is not a reason for poor judgement. Another answer I got was that the police were en route, so if anything big happened the police would be close. Not true, most alarm calls are low priority for LAPD. I would say police showed up 1 out 20 times to an alarm call and most of the time it was when I checked the area/building and was about to clear. Besides, when you are in trouble you need to take care of yourself right there and then, not minutes later.

My armored car friends had similar stories of their coworkers lacking readiness and awareness. I don’t know what the company policy is, but if you can, as soon as you have to cash bag in your weak hand, you should have you pistol out. Most of the time, bad guys scope out armored trucks before they hit them and I’m sure its safe to say that they go after easy targets. Have pistol in hand, look around, be aware and communicate with your driver/messenger. Don’t let the bad guys think that you are an easy target. I have seen bad examples of armored car drivers, guys talking on cell phone, holding cash bag in their gun hand, talking to employees as they walk out, flirting with girls, walking straight to the truck without pausing before to scope the area out. Keep up your guard and be ready and practice with your firearm regularly.

Again, good luck.

#20 · (Edited)
I have worked for Loomis before, and I can tell you that yes, sometimes people do let their security down. They become used to a routine.. but the second something is out of place they take notice.. you have a partner, they are there for a reason. Don't trust them and you might as well just shoot yourself. The inside 'jobs' are not the majority of armored car robberies. Most are simply oppurtunity.

We had a route that pulled up to a check cashing place.. as the messenger was preparing to get out, cash in hand, his driver yelled for him to stay put as an armed robber ran out of the store... If it's going to be an inside job it's going to be simply information about the route.. not your route either.. It is just as simple for a driver to drive off while his messenger is inside. Which if the driver sees something that freaks him out.. he gets the hell out of there, takes off and warns his partner, either by turning on the siren or radio/nextel.

The training they go over during class and constantly reminded of while employeed is to be aware, make eye contact, gun hand free.. walk quickly, avoid distractions.. people are people.. they won't always be aware.

My partner and I, since we did ALOT of ATM work.. where your back is to the world had a simple code system.. I never parked away from him, unless the ATM was inside..then I was right at the door watching. We would switch up the way we did our route, different stops at different times, different streets to travel..

Your customers are also part of your 'security'.. they are very aware of what you do, and they certainly don't want bad things to happen to you at their store, so if something is weird they call.. We have had banks call if we were running behind due to weather (I hate the snow), customers call when they notice something weird..a car sitting there, someone asking about the 'armored guys', someone hanging around the door.

It's funny how many people think it's funny to make comments like 'give me the money' untill your gun is pointed right at them. We had to go through the same shooting drills as the local PD, our instructor infact works with LE on their shooting.. he makes sure we are able to defend ourselves if need be. He takes no BS on the range, and has taught ALOT of the guys I worked with how to shoot.. corrected them, gave pointers..

As far as carrying an AR, yeah that would be great but not practical. You want to have an 'armed presence' not make people panic walking into a McD's to get their liability. People always will look at the money bag or 'coal sack', and then their eyes instantly go to your weapon. Most people if they are even paying attention to where they are going will stop, or move around you to avoid the chance of being thought suspect. When someone gets too close, and your hand goes to your gun they take notice real fast. For an example.. it was raining pretty good one day, and I'm going into a gas station.. I'm looking inside through the windows and glance to my left before I enter the door on my right.. a guy is running from a car parked at the pumps to the front door of the store.. my driver sees this at the same time I did.. he hits the air horn, the guy running looks up and sees me turning with my hand going to my gun and stops dead in his tracks and his hands go up in the air.. after a few seconds I realize he is not a threat and proceed inside. When he comes in, and I'm in the little bullet resistant cashier stand he starts appologizing.. didn't see me there, would not have ran towards the door if he had, has a brother who worked in the 'armored' business for a while.. I did not leave the store, or out from behind the counter till he was in his car driving away.. In the same sense if someone has a gun pointed at me when I open the door at McD's they can have the money.. it's insured.. it's not mine.. take it.

The actual times there are armored car robberies and only an armored car, it has been really an involved plan. They watch for months.. you're basically casing a bank on wheels.. and it will never be the guys who follow their training that get hit.

#24 ·
Dang,i was unarmed guard for $9/hr..and when fema was in town(or during christmas at toys r us),i could get $15-$18/hr..(that was if i was armed guard licensed)

#25 ·
OK, Here are my thoughts;

First, congrats on taking a step foward. Yes, the pay is probably low and your not going to be able to buy your dream home or that shiny new Benz on your hourly rate...but you have to start somewhere.

Do a good job, but dont be a Tackleberry. Pay attention to what goes on around you, both on the street and in the office. There are good advancements to be made in that business, you just have to be a little smarter than the next guy. Get your CDL!

Armed guard/courier business attracts a lot of goofs, dont be one of them. Me and a group of guys have a side business that does high end courier/VP protection work, and we have a ton of complete meatheads that try to get on with us, of course we dont take them on but I have an idea of what filters down to the commercial work. Just stay a step or two ahead, it shouldnt be to hard.

Did I mention to pay attention to everything? Keep your mouth shut too.

Good Luck.

#30 ·
alright.

by "goofs" you mean rambo's and ignorant folk itchin for a shootout?

I HOPE i can use my own personal weapon. NO WAY IN HECK am i using some old school 38. who knows the last time it was cleaned? I want to be able to use my g22 with 2 spare mags.

do companies have their employees backs if they have to shoot? or do they just drop them and the legal mess and hire someone else?

#31 ·
In many states an armed guard is required to carry a specific weapon, owned by their company, that they have tested with and proved proficient. In Washington, the guard must carry an issued weapon, and must test with that weapon.

#33 ·
when I was offered a driver job they were using .38 revolvers for all personnel but were in the process of switching over to S&W 9mm single stacks...

I decided to go to law school instead - there was NO polygraph, but they were very thorough and required supplementary answers to some credit history and employment questions

good job, I have a friend who works ATMs for a competitor and there is a good future to be made with many of these companies, and he seems to think that the company will stand behind the employee if they are within the scope of their duty...

they also had a payroll deductible vest program - most will

good luck, pay attention and stay safe

#35 ·
About the complacency thing. I saw a delivery to a bank as I was waiting for my wife to run an errand one day. One of the guards stood on the side walk from beginning to end and constantly did a visual sweep that encompassed their entire exposure to attack. Back and forth, back and forth with his head. I've never seen that before and it was very impressive.

#36 ·
i've seen it too..i thick that's why they like to have 3 officers with the truck.1 driver,1 watching outside for threats and the 3rd doing the drop off/pick up..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.