Who Regularly Carries More Than One? / Do You Carry a BUG? (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Who Regularly Carries More Than One? / Do You Carry a BUG? (MERGED) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do a You'll find lots on this topic. Here's two: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...-than-one.html http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ackup-gun.html...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who Regularly Carries More Than One? / Do You Carry a BUG? (MERGED)

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

2. Remove Ads

NAA mini .22 magnum sometimes, mostly a folding knife of some sort.

Thanks Captain, I read both threads. Good information and ideas.

since I'm just an average joe, I figure that my primary is my backup, since my first line of defense is situational awareness and avoidance. I can't imagine needing a second gun as a civilian unless I really let my imagination go.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I don't have enough room on my person to carry the stuff I already carry let alone to carry a BUG. Between my wallet, phone, keys, KO Chive knife and whatever else depending on where I'm going, there isn't much room left after I add in whatever main gun I'm pocket carrying.

I agree that as a civilian, I'm hoping one gun with some good awareness is enough. Maybe carrying an extra mag might work but I'm hoping I won't need that many shots. Lots of hoping going on there. I've also got a NAA PUG (and a Seecamp .380 on order) that I could possibly carry as a BUG in a pocket or on my ankle if I'm dressed so I can skip pocket carry of my main gun and go IWB with it.

Living in Florida and with the clothes that I usually wear doesn't allow me a lot of options without being obvious.

Very seldom..... I'll usually carry a knife in addition to my edc K9, but not a second gun. Just seems over the top for my usual perceived threat level.

Glock 33 and Kel Tec P3AT

Charter Off Duty and P3AT

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I never carry extra ammo, but I do carry a BUG on occation. It is a better choice than another magazine IMHO. Usually one very reliable gun is sufficient for my needs.
    You might not need 30 shots, but you sure might need a second mag if you have to clear a stoppage, especially on the majority of occasions when it appears you don't have a BUG...just a thought...

I'd only carry a BUG if I had some reason to doubt the reliability of my primary carry. As long as it happily digests my preferred carry ammo, I see no reason for a BUG in most situations.

Exceptions might be scenarios such as, when wearing a heavy winter jacket, keeping a little snubby in the outside pocket (because your primary could take a while to get to with winter clothing on, using an IWB holster), or etc...

A spare magazine however is a different story. The magazine is one of the weakest points in many semiauto pistol designs, so carrying a spare makes good sense. Also gives you the ability to do a tactical reload should the situation ever arise (BG takes cover for a sec, so swap magazines before he re-emerges, or etc...)

Just my inflation-adjusted two cents.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Good points about having a spare mag with you. Never thought of that.

I will be carrying my S&W 642 as a BUG once I get my Glock 19. It would be much easier to get to when sitting in a vehicle than my primary. That is my main reason for wanting to carry a BUG.

Wht
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Always.

Why? Several reasons:

Anything mechanical can break. If I need to pull my only gun and it doesn't work, depending on the attack, I'm likely dead. 2 is 1, 1 is none.

I don't get to pick the time and place of an encounter, nor the number of attackers. Grabbing a second gun is faster for me than reloading.

I want a gun available to either hand, in case my strong hand/arm is injured.

"If I have a gunfight forced upon me, I intend to win it." (Borrowed the quote, forgot who said it.)

You can carry as many as you can carry. I carry two most of the time, a Ruger P345, and a Bersa 45UC or a beretta 9000s 40 cal.
    Last edited by P345; April 6th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: forgot some thing

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    I've never heard of a reload in a civilian defensive shooting. To my knowledge, it never happens. Thus I don't carry extra ammo.

Which is more valuable, a extra magazine for a gun that just jammed or broke, or a second weapon ready to roll into action. To me, in comparison to the size and weight of an extra mag as compared to my BUG Seecamp...I'd rather have a fully functional gun instead of just more ammo.

I do not adhere to some of the latest defensive theory floating around. Much of it is oriented to police work, not civilian protection. I cringe when I see videos of folks practicing reloads while advancing on a target, or worse yet..."clearing rooms". Real life events are much more violent and short lived. Fights happen in seconds.

When I had cause or reason to carry a BUG I did, but that is rare. Those reasons are largely over in my life, but if I again felt the need, I'd carry a BUG before I'd carry a reload. More practical and useful.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    I've never heard of a reload in a civilian defensive shooting. To my knowledge, it never happens. Thus I don't carry extra ammo.

Which is more valuable, a extra magazine for a gun that just jammed or broke, or a second weapon ready to roll into action. To me, in comparison to the size and weight of an extra mag as compared to my BUG Seecamp...I'd rather have a fully functional gun instead of just more ammo.

I do not adhere to some of the latest defensive theory floating around. Much of it is oriented to police work, not civilian protection. I cringe when I see videos of folks practicing reloads while advancing on a target, or worse yet..."clearing rooms". Real life events are much more violent and short lived. Fights happen in seconds.

When I had cause or reason to carry a BUG I did, but that is rare. Those reasons are largely over in my life, but if I again felt the need, I'd carry a BUG before I'd carry a reload. More practical and useful.
    Your point about spare ammo makes some sense if you always carry a BUG...since you don't, it's MHO that you need a spare magazine.

You may not have heard of a stoppage in a civilian gunfight; however, that doesn't mean it can't/won't happen. You've no doubt seen stoppages on the range, and your gun obviously can't think "wow, this is pretty important...better make sure I work properly right now..."

However, you have your ideas and I have mine--not worth an extended discussion, since we're both thinking adults.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links