Carrying while driving

This is a discussion on Carrying while driving within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently got my CCP and have been carrying everywhere I legally can (except the elementary schools and university). I hop in the car to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying while driving

Carrying while driving

I recently got my CCP and have been carrying everywhere I legally can (except the elementary schools and university). I hop in the car to go to school and notice the holster that is very comfortable when walking around town is jabbing me in the back. How do you guys who are in and out of a vehicle or sitting for part of the day carry comfortably?? I don't like unholstering and then reholstering all of the time. I've got a fobus paddle holster that goes on and off real easy, but it does't conceal very well and looks like I've got a brick under my shirt.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I fear it may be a case of trial and error until you find what works for you. Is it the Fobus paddle that is digging into your body when you are driving, or is it a different holster? I carry IWB, and that works well for me, but a large number of posters here have said that IWB is very uncomfortable for them. Do you have a friend who has a number of different holsters you could try out?

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I had a Fobus paddle for my XD45. For one day. I couldn't stand driving while wearing it.

I took it back and spent the extra money on a Kramer IWB, and have never been happier. I drive with it all the time and after a while I hardly notice it.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by 2_of_5 View Post
    I took it back and spent the extra money on a Kramer IWB, and have never been happier. I drive with it all the time and after a while I hardly notice it.
    +1 on Kramer Leather IWB! Most comfortable IWB around. Worth every penny....er, dollar spent on it. They aren't cheap, but neither are the six holsters you're going to buy to finally find the one!
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

What time?

What position are you carrying at that it is jabbing you in the back?

Sponsor
    OK, my first instinct was to tell you to ditch the Fobus. However, that would not be fair to you or Fobus.
    I find them too bulky to conceal well and was never happy with the quality. But hey, it's a $20 dollar holster.

I would suggest investing in a quality custom made holster. Unfortunately finding the right one is trial and error. Unless you have a lot of friends who carry (or one friend who has carried a long time) and can borrow some different holsters for trials.

At any rate, I have found that even the most comfortable IWB (my preferred mode) holster needs to be adjusted slightly when I sit in the car.
    some are easier to make these minor position adjustments to than others. Again this boils down to personal preference and finding THE holster for you.

Just to throw another wrench into the works... Your carry style/position is going to change and evolve over time.

For leather holsters I would recommend K&D and/or UBG.
    I will let others make recommendations on the Kydex holsters.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Welcome fellow flyfisherman! What are you carrying? I carry a full size 1911 springfield in a Brommeland Max-con V IWB holster. In and out of my jeep all day long. No poking/prodding, I had to learn the hard way (a sock drawer full of holsters) that When it comes to gunleather you get what you pay for and is every bit as important as your weapon.

A great gun and cheap leather is like buying a Tonkin Cane Flyrod and putting a plastic reel on it

Tight lines, Rex
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The only place I can carry that works all the time, in the car, out of the car, reaching over head, bending over, squatting down, lifting cases of water into the cart at COSTCO is IWB at 3:00 on the strong side (my right side). I have a leather holster - a Dillon if it matters - that worked well enough for me to experiment and find out what was going to work for me. I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 on order. I got to try one loaned to me by a friend. Great holster.

I started carrying with the gun behind my hip at about 4:00 - very uncomfortable in the car, and the gun printed like a sign when I had to bend over, like picking up things in the store, etc.

For me, the key to not printing with it at 3:00 is to have it tilted forward. How far forward. Hold the gun on the wall so the butt of the grip and the bottom of the slide below the barrel touch the wall. That is the forward tilt that minimizes the front to rear dimension of the gun, and thus minimizes printing. With my PPK/S or Glock 19, that tilt has the whole gun beside my body and it doesn't print.

As a happy coincidence, it is also comfortable in the car, standing, sitting in a chair, and doing anything else.

That carry method doesn't work for some folks but it works for me. You need to find what works for you.

Fitch

VIP Member
    Wearing my VM-II at 4:00 with a 1911 in it, and driving a truck with wrap around bucket seats, I have to tip the gun a little forward to not get poked... but it works!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Thanks for all the great responses!

Flyfish-only the diehards recognize the handle. I love an olive body elk hair caddis in early june.

I'm carrying an xd40, and I've got a crossbreed supertuck besides the fobus. I have been carrying at about 4:00, and the crossbreed is really comfortable until I get in the rig. I guess I will try adjusting it around a bit and see if I can get it to the "sweet spot".

Thanks for all the insight.

My normal carry is OWD at 4:30. If I know that I will be in the vehicle for extended periods I switch to crossdraw at 9:00. More comfortable for me and no problem with the seat belt in the way of a quick grab for my personal defensive companion if the need be.

Coffeecup took the words right off my lips.

Carry 'Crossdraw' when in a vehicle. No discomfort and quick access to your firearm while seated!!
    "Courage is being scared to death ...... but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

I also carry IWB, and started out with it at about 4:00 on my right hip. Like you and others who posted here, I found the bottom of the magazine (I carry a 1911 commander size Kimber) dug into my back when I got in my car, and when I bent over even slightly it printed somethin' fierce. So I moved the whole rig around to about 3:00 so the bottom of the grip now rides right up under my ribcage on the side. No printing, no digging into my back when I sit down.

FWIW, I use a Milt Sparks VersaMax II holster. It cost me over $100, and I had to wait 6 months to get it, but it was ABSOLUTELY worth the cost and wait. Don't fall into the buy-a-cheap-holster-a-week-until-you-find-one-you-like routine. You'll wind up spending far more than a hundred bucks, and a lot more of your time going to and from the gun shop (not that an excuse to visit the gun shop is a bad idea, mind you ). Just saying. If you want good gunleather, you can't go wrong with a VersaMax.

I have an Alessi talon IWB for a G23. Carry about 3:30 on the strong side, and it has enough forward cant that it hides well, but is also comfortable all day. It was reccomended to me be a friend that had one for quite a few years, and I'm completely happy with it. At $65 it's not the most expensive holster out there, but suits me well.

My Fist IWB holds my Kimber very comfortably...hardly know it's there. With the right holster, CCW is like wearing a watch or wallet.

Stay armed...comfortably... stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links