Driving Through Smokey Mountain National Park In Tennessee With CCW???

This is a discussion on Driving Through Smokey Mountain National Park In Tennessee With CCW??? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have to drive through Tennessee to South Carolina, but must get off I-40 and go through the Smokey Mountain National Park in East Tennessee. ...

I have to drive through Tennessee to South Carolina, but must get off I-40 and go through the Smokey Mountain National Park in East Tennessee. I have my CCW and want to take my pistol with me on this trip. What do you do if you have to drive through this National Park (do not plan to stop anywhere)? Is it OK to have the pistol in the trunk and the ammunition somewhere else in the vehicle away from the pistol? Is anything like this allowed? How would you deal with this? What happens if you are pulled over and they discover you are carrying? How are you dealt with? Thanks for your help.

Everytime I end up going thru Gatlinburg or down to Cherokee, my pistol is broken down, Slide in the door, Reciever in the glove box, pin in pocket, and mag in the toolbox in the truck bed since i do not have a trunk. That is for extended periods in the parks. I do not know the exact legal stand on that, but it seemed good to every one I have talked to
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I can't help with the CCW question, but here's a tip: chew some gum while going over the mountain. Otherwise, you're ears will be popping like crazy.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Lead Moderator
    Here's Slider's take on it:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/FAQ.pdf

Quote:
    #5 Question: Can I carry in a National Park?
    Answer: It is illegal to carry in any National Park even if you have a Permit/License
    that is legal in the state the park is in. When in a National Park your firearms must be
    unloaded and stored in the trunk of your vehicle. If you do not have a trunk the firearm
    must be in a locked box behind the seat in a Pickup or all the way in the back of an SUV.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I took the slide off and stored the pistol in a locked case in the trunk.

You know you're in for a good time in the park when you pass this sign:

Last summer, when I was there, the rules read must be unloaded, with ammo stored separately. Hopefully US parks manager will change the rules soon.

The Pike National Forest in Colorado has a very interesting signage. The sign says " Discharging a weapon while not in the pursuit of mammal or fowl is prohibited". What they are trying to say is CCW is OK, hunting is OK, but target shooting is banned.

Under current regulation it is lawful to transport firearms through national parks. Firearms must be unloaded and stored, but as such can be legally transported. (36 CFR 2.4 (a)(2)) Assertions that firearms cannot be possessed or transported in national parks are simply false. As a safety precaution for both wildlife and visitors, the National Park Service has established guidelines under 36 CFR 2.4 (a)(2) that state: “unloaded weapons, traps and nets may be possessed: (i) within a residential dwelling. (ii) within a temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered inoperable or packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use.”

Oh, and by the way, to those of us who live in the Rockies those are just big hills back there.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    I took the slide off and stored the pistol in a locked case in the trunk.

You know you're in for a good time in the park when you pass this sign:

I would love to see that sign on my motorcycle :)

edit...which brings up another point...what if you are taking a road trip on a motorcycle that goes through a national park? Locked box in a backpack?
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Go to the Second Amendment Section here and see if you want to help rescind this rule. Some say that it will come up in the Senate this week for consideration. Senate bill S2483 and the accompanying amendment 3467. Email your Senators.

however national forest's are a different story and are to be decided by each individual state. In NC it is legal to CCW in a national FOREST, If you do a search you find the contact info for the person that controls the NC forest that said it was legal or PM me if you want it

Scott

VIP Member

Lightbulb Maybe Apples vs Oranges

Quote Originally Posted by 53golfer View Post
    I have my CCW and want to take my pistol with me on this trip. What do you do if you have to drive through this National Park (do not plan to stop anywhere)?
    FWIW and it likely has no value in SMNP:

At one time, I had to drive around Portsmouth quite a bit. Often crossing the Parkway. Sometimes, using it.

I talked the Ranger's office.

The head Ranger told me that as long as it was transit only use they didn't write it -- even if stopped for a traffic violation -- just ID myself as a CCP holder with empty hands in plain sight. If I had a flat or something that required getting out of the truck, to lock the the empty weapon in my cable attached lock box and place the mags in the glove box first. I pointed out the glove box didn't lock. He said that was OK, as long as the empty weapon was lock in a suitable container.

You might just want to call the Park LE Office and see.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    I would love to see that sign on my motorcycle :)

edit...which brings up another point...what if you are taking a road trip on a motorcycle that goes through a national park? Locked box in a backpack?
    Yep, looks like a great bike road!

When traveling through Nat. parks on my bike I put the unloaded gun in one locking saddlebag and ammo and unloaded magazines in the other. If you don't have saddlebags, I think you would be ok with it unloaded in a locked case in a backpack, as long as the ammo was somewhere else. But I'm not a lawyer, and I think a lot would depend on the individual Park ranger you had to deal with. Best practice would be to avoid doing things that would bring you to the attention of a ranger, ie, don't play ricky racer on those tempting twisty roads! Just cruise along and enjoy the scenery.

Ron

Links