The good and the bad of revealing you carry.

This is a discussion on The good and the bad of revealing you carry. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I took my CCW course, I had to request time off. My Supervisor wanted to know why I needed the time off. Since our ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The good and the bad of revealing you carry.

When I took my CCW course, I had to request time off. My Supervisor wanted to know why I needed the time off. Since our unit was wayyyyy understaffed at the time, I had to tell her. Unfortunately, she had mentioned it to several people that I had my CWP. I did not like the fact that people knew that I carried and told her so. One of my co-workers kept harassing me until I told her to go bite one....in a professional manner of course. She thought that I was PARANOID.
    The good part is now one nurse will be taking her class this weekend. And three others will be soon. All of them basically felt that if little ol' me could do it, then they could too. We have seen enough victims to know that we don't want that to happen to us. Glad to know that some good has come from it.

2. Remove Ads

I got my CCW after someone told me "little old him" had one so I figured I should research and see if I should get one.
    Anyway Anti's and gossipers should not be told. Next Job I don't think I'll let anyone know.

At most workplaces you have to figure that if anyone knows, everyone knows. So if there's anyone who might not be okay with it, don't tell anyone.

Plus, if you ever get a workplace shooting, you'll be the first target if everyone knows. Hooray.

As much as I like evangelizing guns and CCW, little good can come from telling coworkers that you carry, and huge problems can result. Can you imagine what you'd be put through if they decided to fire you, and the management thought of you as the gun nut?

look them in the eye

TK, your post is interesting in a couple areas, If you do not have personal time or vacation time due I understand your boss inquireing why you want time off but if you have it comming it is no one's business why you need to use it. Personal time is personal time and your boss is very nosy and out of line. No matter why your staff is low, poor management decisions,cheap management, poor conditions which drive good workers away or you guys may be of an expertise that it hard to find qualified people too bad if you have time off coming it is yours to take at your convince not when someone "gifts" you the time off.

Second area is your co-workers. I know in the medical field there is a huge push to be anti-gun. I would look the (assuming most of the nurses are gals) gals in the eye and say " I refuse to be a victim in the case of an attempt on my life or freedom" I can not find the link but this month maybe in the latest NRA magazine is an excellent article about refusing to be a lay down victim who simply submits to violence because the current crop of criminals have no respect for your life and very well may kill or maim you if they feel that you do not have enough money on you or HIV positive rapist simply kill you with an infection which will claim your life in the years to come. If one of the nurses says your paranoid, just bring in some crime statistics in your area, smile..hold your head high, again, " I refuse to be a victim and am pro-active in my personal saftey for me and my loved ones"
    Hold your head high, and keep your chin up, you did good telling your co-worker to bite one. I am guessing she is a liberal who avoids facts and lives her life on emotional fear.
    Congratulations on being the lead so some of the others feel safe starting to take some personal accountability for protection. You may find that you new CWP people can start your own "gals night out" shooting. One of our local indoor ranges had a Gals night, very popular with gals who just want to shoot with other gals so they can learn and practice together. Hats off to ya.

Except in a region where open carry is accepted as common practice (in which case secrecy is pointless), I can see no upside to people outside of family members knowing I carry. The bottom line is: need to know. Few folks have that.

Now, having discussions about self-defense, situational awareness, the inane nature of victim disarmament policies and laws ... that has merit.

Hopefully the good will continue to outweigh the bad, in your situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Out side of my family not too many know that I carry. My fishing buddy knows and once asked if I would kill a snake that kept swimming toward the boat. I told him to just whack it with the landing net and it would go away.

My general plan is no one at work except for true gun totting friend know. That said, sounds like you got some converts. I also don't discuss that I make holsters for handguns.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    Sounds good that it made a couple of them think about it. You are right, at least something useful came out of it. Maybe you can go to the range with them on the weekend and help the others see how much fun it is. Depends on your relationship with those coworkers, of course.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Tn is an open carry state, But I have never carried in the open. I think it just makes you a target, I will stay concealed.
    Jack dog

TK, your post is interesting in a couple areas, If you do not have personal time or vacation time due I understand your boss inquireing why you want time off but if you have it comming it is no one's business why you need to use it. Personal time is personal time and your boss is very nosy and out of line. No matter why your staff is low, poor management decisions,cheap management, poor conditions which drive good workers away or you guys may be of an expertise that it hard to find qualified people too bad if you have time off coming it is yours to take at your convince not when someone "gifts" you the time off.

Exactly right! In fact, it is against the law I believe for HR, your boss or any supervisor at work to ask you why you need time off, a day off or whatever id you are given PTO time just for the reason of if they don't like the answer they can lay you off or fire you based on the ccw class. What YOU do on YOUR time off is YOUR business. People knowing you ccw is big business that could cause problems down the line.

That's great that others now have interest but it doesn't excuse your boss.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Well I too would prefere that nobody at work knew I carried but it is a small office and everyone knows about everything about everybody around here. That said I have always been a very big "gun person" so everyone that knows me has to figure I am armed. As are they probably. I will also say that I do not believe that I have one single anti gun friend or family member. I have several that do not feel the need to carry but they are all pro gun folks.

So the only anti gun people I might know are clients or others I do business with and they sure do not need to know. However in your situation the cat is out of the bag so continue to support your case and let those that ask know why you choose life and freedom over fear.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Couldn't you have simply said that you needed to take a self defense class, or better yet, a personal enrichment seminar? Other folks knowing that you CCW is not good, IMO.

Senior Moderator
    Medical appointment.

It is related to your continued well-being, after all.

Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Exactly right! In fact, it is against the law I believe for HR, your boss or any supervisor at work to ask you why you need time off, a day off or whatever id you are given PTO time just for the reason of if they don't like the answer they can lay you off or fire you based on the ccw class. What YOU do on YOUR time off is YOUR business. People knowing you ccw is big business that could cause problems down the line.

That's great that others now have interest but it doesn't excuse your boss.

Ti

Not really. In most companies the vacation schedule is not necessarily when you want to take time off but rather if it can be worked out with the other workers. If every employee requests a days vacation on the same day the boss has every right to ask why and either grant or deny it. I have run into this before when several wanted vacation at the same time and we worked it out. If you don't want them to know why you are asking for time off you can say personal or make up some excuse but don't expect it to be granted. Every company I have ever worked for says that vacation is granted when reasonable but there is no real definition of reasonable.

Folks here at work know I hunt but DO NOT know I carry. I took my CCW course on a Saturday so no need to ask for time but if I had needed to, I would have been extremely vague or given a generic excuse.

All my fellow workers are with little or no SA. Of course I work in an extremely safe Gun Free Zone so that adds another layer of need-to-know. I don't carry on site and can only imagine how "they" would react if they knew I was CCW . Probably always looking me over to make sure I wasn't carrying.

Ahhh, putting all my support behind HB2628 in the AZ legislature.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links