No CCW Sign at a gunshop

This is a discussion on No CCW Sign at a gunshop within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by David in FL I just don't get it. If the shop it genuinely worried about the possibility of an ND, they should ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No CCW Sign at a gunshop

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    I just don't get it. If the shop it genuinely worried about the possibility of an ND, they should realize that the great majority of ND's occur during loading/unloading......not too many happen while the weapon is sitting safely in it's holster minding it's own business. The last thing I want going on in the parking lot outside, is for every third customer to be clearing their weapon before entering and then reloading upon leaving......

Maybe it's just me.
    I agree with you. They should have a place to clear your weapon if they are going to require you to enter unloaded. We have a gun shop/range here that requires you to unload as well before you enter.
    Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeros everywhere... and I thought I saw a two.

2. Remove Ads

Almost every gun store I shop in has one of those signs.

And I can see their concern for safety and there reasoning of not wanting you to bring a loaded gun in the store. Too many inexperience nitwits, and I for one while shopping donít like having a customers firearm swept by me.

I never bring a loaded gun in the store, that I want to trade or have work done on.

But, if I have a concealed weapon on me, then it stays concealed and is consequently not a safety concern, so I pay no attention to their sign.

I think a better alternative to those signs are the ones that read "Please keep CCW weapons holstered at all times while in the store. If you wish to show it to a salesperson, we ask that you clear it before bringing it inside." I've seen a few of these, and have never been offended by them.

Senior Moderator
    Gander Mountain in Lake Mary, Florida has a sign I really like.

"All firearms being brought into the store must be unloaded and checked in at the customer service desk. This does not apply to lawfully carried concealed firearms."

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    If I remember right, that ND was caused by an employee of the shop......no?
    You may well be correct on that. I don't remember the details.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Here in Central Florida around me the shops have the "no loaded" signs.
    I haven't found one that prohibited ccw.
    That place I wouldn't even walk into.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I will add, like those above, if a gun is being brought in to trade, sell or be worked on then of course it should be unloaded. But a legal concealed carry firearm that is secured in a holster is no more dangerous in a gun store than in a convenience store. To think so is ridiculous.

If your concealed carry gun needs to be removed from your holster for a legitimate reason then there might be a concern. If there is than provide a safe place to disarm or do not allow them to remove their loaded carry gun in the store. However to not allow it in the store while concealed is as just as ANTI GUN as any other store with a no carry sign and they would never get any of my business.
    Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

~ Thomas Jefferson

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    That's simple I wouldn't shop their.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

"All firearms being brought into the store must be unloaded and checked in at the customer service desk. This does not apply to lawfully carried concealed firearms."

Matt
    They get a lot of my business. Especially when the Boy Scouts are selling hotdogs....... My 8 year old daughter and I make a day of it then!

the two shops I frequent -

one - all employees are off duty LEOs - no sign, owner was my CHL instructor - knows I carry, knows I can shoot, glad to have me in shop when "shady characters" are in store acting funny...

two - posted, exempts LEOs, and says if licensed CHL concealed means concealed...

There's a local store that used to have a "no loaded firearms" (no exceptions) sign, but it has been changed to "no handling of loaded firearms."

Maybe you could suggest this to the store in question?

No loaded guns

We have a no loaded guns sign at the shop where I work. I seem to be the only employee that disagrees with it. I have had this argument with my boss too many times to count. His argument is that people are too unsafe, that there would be too much confusion if a robbery were to happen, and that it was the previous owner's policy and he sees no need to change it. We have had NDs at the shop, including having an employee shot by another (well before my time there), an AR shot into the floor, a 9mm into the floor outside the range, and a .308 fired into the asphalt in the parking lot. There are numerous holes inside the range that indicate careless gun handling. I bring up these threads that indicate we loose business by doing so, with no results. Of the 5 big gun shops in the area, two have the sign, three do not. The biggest and busiest does not, BTW. I'll be showing the boss this, again, later today.

Alot of florida shops have that sign .Working in a shop before I understand it ,there're alot of people with permits that have no common sense and should not be carrying because of inexperience . I've been swept a few times and pointed at point blank !!!!!!! Most of our regulars carry and we know this and have been shooting with most of them so them carrying in the shop dosen't concern us .

WOULD EITHER "NOT TELL" OR NEVER GO IN.!
    A gun store that is anti-gun...no way!
    I know its against policy but honestly I would drop them. I currently have the luxury of my own range and there are plenty of gun stores locally. That may not be an option for everybody.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post

Matt
    This is a sign I think most of us could live with.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links