Summer Carry ....

Summer Carry ....

This is a discussion on Summer Carry .... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am curious how and what other people in the southern states carry during the summer. Would my Glock 19 or Glock 23 be alright ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Carry ....

Summer Carry ....

I am curious how and what other people in the southern states carry during the summer. Would my Glock 19 or Glock 23 be alright for summer months? I am looking for any information that anyone on the forum is willing to share because I know nothing about carry. I am going for my ccw class before this spring. How long can I expect the application process to take in Kentucky?

Assistant Administrator
    Anything is OK - providing your cover options can deal with it. Can't comment as a Southerner of course!

I know it's not quite as hot up here in PA in summer but - not far short at times!

I manage with t-shirt and shorts - with the extra of a Smith and Alexander vest when I have to go out. That is often biking so, a vest does not seem too odd. A long but thin open shirt also gives good cover - patterned is best.

A G19 should be manageable for many - as long as cover options suit - as ever, best to dress to carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I know it's not quite as hot up here in PA in summer but - not far short at times!

Did you fall an bump your head?

I'd say it gets pretty warm up here. The humidity is what makes it horrible. If I'm outside in the summer I generally wear a bigger T-shirt and shorts. Thats about it.

Assistant Administrator
    No - I did not bump my head!

But I did omit to mention the danged humidity!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My smallest CCW is a G19 and I plan to carry it this summer. I can easily conceal it now under a normal fitting polo or tee shirt with a Comtac Pro Undercover. It hides well at 7:30-9:00 and hides very well at about 9:30 (kinda weird but just in front of my hipbone works very well). I expect the MTAC I plan to pick in the next few weeks will pull the grip in even snugger (without tightening my belt). I use a 1.25 beltman. It makes all the diff in the world.

Got my Scorpion IWB holster from one of the members here. Used an Uncle Mikes nylon before. My G27 will be better off this summer as will I. The G19/23 will fit the same holster as would my G17 or G22 besides protruding out the bottom end more. It works for me, and I've been saying the G19 is next on my list, and when it comes, it will ride in the same holster for starters. With the right cant, any grip length would be no problem. IWB 3-4 o'clock for me. My Uncle Mikes nylon with metal clip still does for S.O.B. carry for me with the same G27. I'm a persistent individual and have no 'box of unused holsters'. Good luck, and you'll find what's right for you just by simply being here. If you happen to end up with something you don't like, just post it. Plenty here just waiting on a good deal for a trial holster!

My Kahr CW9 hides very well under and oversize t-shirt and jeans. It rides in a Don Hume IWB holster. If you go IWB and wear oversize shirts you should be ok.

I carry a steel 4" 1911 all summer IWB in 110 degree Phoenix. Shorts, undershirt, and an open obnoxious Hawaiian shirt gets me anywhere.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Most of the summer time I carry IWB just about above the hip pocket of my jeans, just like reaching for my billfold. But I can not stand the bare holster against my skin, so a under shirt with a bigger t-shirt or a t-shirt with a loose dress shirt over it.... or heaven forbid having to be nice with a under shirt with a tucked dress shirt, (I hate it.) On a good 100 degree day it just does not work....

My G23 stays in a MTAC most of the summer. It works for me just fine.
    A quality leather or leather/kydex hybred holster will make it good to go.

Can't comment on Ky.'s speed on your CCL
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    The only difference in my hot weather gear and cold weather gear is a coat, jacket, or sweater. Other than that, my polos and tees cover just fine.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

J-frame in a smart carry for summer time, shorts & T-shirt (which I wear tucked in) In Michigan we do get temps up around 95 with humidity in the 90% range for 2 or 3 weeks in the summer.

I carry a Glock 23 year round. No change of equipment for hot or cold weather. It makes the training much more simple. I do not need to train with two different weapons for different times of year. I also carry the same G23 at home. I own a total of 12 handguns but, since I carry the G23, I use it for my in house carry gun, for the "night stand" gun, for my every purpose gun.

My G23 blends in completely with an untucked T-shirt or even a tank top with a wife beater type undershirt on under it in the summer months. It gets quite hot here in Memphis int he summer time.

I see no reason to change guns just because the weather changes. If you feel like the gun you carry in the winter is what you want to trust your life to, why do you feel the need to carry a lesser gun int he summer months? Is your life any less valuable in the heat of summer? Statistics show that most violent crime is committed during the hot months of summer. So why carry a mouse gun just because it is warm out?

Dress around the gun. Do not choose your self defense equipment based on how comfortable you wish to be. Those shorts and T-shirt will be of little comfort to you if the mouse gun you carry so you can dress that way is in-effective in stopping an attacker.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have carrie my G23 in a high quality IWB holster in t-shirt and shorts with no problem at all. The trick is to find the spot on your body that works for you and combine that with a high quality holster that works for you.

Edit: also a good quality leather belt. The price gets up there real quick on your leather investment, but many members here will agree that it is worth the expense once you find what works for you. Good luck!
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

summer months i use my smartcarry depending ontype of chothing.
    sorry i can't help ya on permit time frame.here in mich. it was 30 days.by anyway heres an early welcometo the wonderful world of ccw.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links