Legal to carry if E.M.S. (in KY)?

This is a discussion on Legal to carry if E.M.S. (in KY)? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a privately owned ambulance company in Kentucky, but we also have some municipal contracts (911 service). Anyway I have been looking through ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal to carry if E.M.S. (in KY)?

I work for a privately owned ambulance company in Kentucky, but we also have some municipal contracts (911 service).

Anyway I have been looking through our new S.O.P. and there is nothing at all about weapons, concealed or otherwise.

I have also been looking at our state's EMS website, and can't find anything either.

Any help would be appreciated, as i've googled everything I can think of.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Well, you're lucky if your company hasen't forbidden carrying. I've never heard of a law that says you can't if you're working on an ambulance. But I've also never heard of a law that says you can carry in "no carry zones" because you're working on an ambulance. In MI, Hospitals are off limits, so I would have had to disarm every time I went to drop a PT off. Also, every time I got a call at a school, church, classroom or dormitory of a university, daycare, sports arena, most theaters, and Bars or taverns. You'll have to check your state laws (which you need to be very familiar with whether your going to carry at work or not).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Pretty much what cupcake said.
    If the company doesn't have a policy against it, you should be ok to carry on the job, however simply being an EMS worker will not make your states "off limits" areas available to you as you are not law enforcement.
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Oh yeah, and watch your six (and your gun) on the psych transports.

Again, Cupcake was pretty much on the money.

I worked with the Fire Department before going to school and several of the guys would carry off the job, but nobody I knew at the station would on the job. I've found that in general a lot of the work EMS Personnel do is that much tougher if you have to disarm yourself every time you respond to an off-limits location, which to me isn't acceptable in an emergency situation. If you're working for a private company I imagine a fair chunk of your work is hospital transfers, which I believe (I'm not sure) are No Weapon zones.

Best Advice is to look up all the No Weapon locations in your area, which you probably should know anyway if you're carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Well, you're lucky if your company hasen't forbidden carrying. I've never heard of a law that says you can't if you're working on an ambulance. But I've also never heard of a law that says you can carry in "no carry zones" because you're working on an ambulance. In MI, Hospitals are off limits, so I would have had to disarm every time I went to drop a PT off. Also, every time I got a call at a school, church, classroom or dormitory of a university, daycare, sports arena, most theaters, and Bars or taverns. You'll have to check your state laws (which you need to be very familiar with whether your going to carry at work or not).
    Luckily hospitals aren't off limits here in Kentucky. We are also okay in movie theaters, sports arenas, and bar/restaurants. Not okay in 100% bars, daycares, or universities. But the only big concern is the hospital anyways, as I don't go to the other places often enough to worry.

I was planning on using my Smartcarry for deep cover so no worry on Psych patients either.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    Luckily hospitals aren't off limits here in Kentucky. We are also okay in movie theaters, sports arenas, and bar/restaurants. Not okay in 100% bars, daycares, or universities. But the only big concern is the hospital anyways, as I don't go to the other places often enough to worry.

I was planning on using my Smartcarry for deep cover so no worry on Psych patients either.

Very good then, just make sure the rig is locked when you do have to disarm. And still watch it, I've had a psych try to go down there, and I stopped her whether I wanted to or not.

VIP Member
    A hospital here where I live just posted not long ago. It's just a little sign on each door that has the red circle with a line that says"weapons", not sure if it's really legal. But it is a thought. You may want to check with all the hospitals in you area. Of course it's not a crime in Ky if its posted.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    The regulatons are clearly printed in your CCW manual. Might want to take a look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    A hospital here where I live just posted not long ago. It's just a little sign on each door that has the red circle with a line that says"weapons", not sure if it's really legal. But it is a thought. You may want to check with all the hospitals in you area. Of course it's not a crime in Ky if its posted.
    Hospitals are okay to carry in, but they all have the no weapons sign.

I guess most people just don't know any better.

No Kentucky state law against carrying in a university (post-secondary school).

Kentucky State Police: Concealed Deadly Weapons

The individual university can prohibit with no criminal penalty attached for carrying. They can only make you leave the property.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/115.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by Manzanita View Post
    No Kentucky state law against carrying in a university (post-secondary school).

The individual university can prohibit with no criminal penalty attached for carrying. They can only make you leave the property.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/237-00/115.PDF
    I had no idea we could carry at universities here. One more reason to love Kentucky!

Not to change the subject, but do you have your CCW? Does kentucky require a class? Not trying to stir up trouble or anything, but PLEASE do some homework and get to know your laws. It makes us all look bad when one of us goofs up, even if unintentionally. You can't obey the laws if you don't know them.

Learn both carry laws and use of force laws. Here is a start:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/503-00/055.PDF

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Not to change the subject, but do you have your CCW? Does kentucky require a class? Not trying to stir up trouble or anything, but PLEASE do some homework and get to know your laws. It makes us all look bad when one of us goofs up, even if unintentionally. You can't obey the laws if you don't know them.

Learn both carry laws and use of force laws. Here is a start:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/KRS/503-00/055.PDF
    Yes I have had my CCW for about 11 or 12 years now. And yes we do require a one day class. Just cause I am asking some questions doesn't mean I do not know the laws, cause I do. And why do you just assume that I haven't done my "homework"?

My main concern was that the medical community has proven to be very anti-gun. And I wasn't sure if they have made some rules stating that regardless of state laws, that we won't allow E.M.S. to carry in this state. The Board of Emergency Services in this state does some "odd" things. And the is absolutely nothing on they're website about it, and I don't want to ask them directly, cause with my luck they would try and make a new law to stop carry in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    The regulatons are clearly printed in your CCW manual. Might want to take a look at it.
    They hand out manuals now?

When I took my class there were no manuals that you got to take home. And in those 11 to 12 years, half of the "no-carry" places have been removed.

Part of the responsibility for me at least is staying abreast of the new carry laws/changes, and I do this often. But it is nice that you assume that I don't know anything because I asked a "specific" question regarding E.M.S. in this state.

Thanks, it's appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links