Florida Teacher Fired Over Gun in Truck... - Page 2

Florida Teacher Fired Over Gun in Truck...

This is a discussion on Florida Teacher Fired Over Gun in Truck... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MattLarson Due to a poorly written statute, if the school district had a written policy forbidding the teacher from having the firearm ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Florida Teacher Fired Over Gun in Truck...

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Due to a poorly written statute, if the school district had a written policy forbidding the teacher from having the firearm in the parked vehicle, then he was in violation of F.S. 790.115.

See Gutmacher, Florida Firearms, pp. 147 and 149.

Matt
    Ahh yes. Didn't mean to say it was OK everywhere, just that it wasn't strictly prohibited everywhere. I only know MI laws, and even though not illegal, the university I work for here would fire my butt quick for having a gun in the parking lot.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

As a former teacher, I don't know we continue to attract new teachers to the profession. Teachers now have to put up with being insulted, threatened, even assaulted by students. At least in the secondary schools, it isn't a great job any more. On top of all this, they have to work in a victim zone, too.

IANAL, but my read of the Gun Free Schools Act is that a holder of a CPL is not is violation of Federal law by possessing a gun on a K-12 campus if the licensing state conducts a background check as part of the licensing requirements. The GFSA states this allowance for possession of a gun in typical vague language, but it is there. That is how Washington state and other states have provisions that allow CPL holders to secure a gun in their vehicle at school.

This teacher violated one of the basic rules of concealed carry if he made threats that indicated he might have a weapon -- if he made threats while at all while armed. Had he not made such a statement, I doubt the police could have established probable cause for a search.

Like some other states, Washington state preempts municipalities, cities, and counties from enacting firearm laws that are more restrictive than state laws. But, school districts, colleges, and state agencies can still enact rules and policies that prohibit employees and students from CCW. Perhaps what is needed is a change in the laws of states that prohibits any government sub-division from enacting policies more restrictive than state law. Government agencies (including school districts) should be protecting all of our rights, including 2A, not infringing them.

Sorry for the rant . . .
    Aceoky likes this.

IIRC....the FEDERAL gun-free zone law was struck down by SCOTUS. That's why we have a state statute in Arkansas to deal with firearms on school property.

Don't pick your kid up w/o ditching your legally concealed wep somewhere...not even in the parking lot. I've heard that the Leg has or will deal with this soon....

Be safe,
    Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

I don't know what to say about this subject anymore. School boards and administrators have their heads in the sand concerning the use of firearms. Having one secured in your locked vehicle is decidely different from bringing it into the school. Being licensed to carry it is decidedly different than bringing it into the school with intent to do harm. Legally licensed adults should not have to wade through a quagmire of rules and regulations to exercise our 2nd amendment rights. In fact one might argue that just having to be legally licensed infringes on one's 2nd amendment rights. The only argument I can tolerate for licensing CCW is that it shows you are trained to use it and are a law-abiding citizen. Making it illegal to possess a firearm on campus only scares those who want to remain law-abiding citizens. Anyone intent on doing harm isn't hampered by the law until after he commits an atrocity. Then we pass more laws trying to keep people from possessing weapons. It just doesn't work. To prevent violence and keep the peace, we need more trained CCW'ers and perhaps clearly defined and unrestricted open-carry. I have no problem with requiring qualification similar to LE requirements and required training in the use of self-defense weapons. That is all the "licensing" that ought to be necessary to carry a weapon concealed or openly. If open-carry makes the sheeple nervous, then maybe they should stay in their "secure" domiciles and never venture out into the "wild west".

Sorry for the rant but I just get so tired of idiocy and moronic laws that don't do anything to address the real issues: Lack of parental oversight of kids, and poor enforcement of existing gun-use-in-crimes laws. Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Probably worth nothing in this inflation/recession? we are in.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    So just so I am clear on this - he was fired for doing something that was legal? I thought teachers had unions...
    They do... as long as it supports their liberal policies. Cant have big black scary guns after all

"How could we OK your employment?" board member Margaret Lofton asked Bradley. "We expect our students to abide by the rules."

Board members Hazel Sellers and Kay Fields also said that it would set a bad example for students if they agreed to a 90-day suspension.
    What kind of funky example does it set when a person is abiding by rules and he gets fired anyway? ever think of this? naw, its only whats in front of your nose and what motivates you that seems to matter. Kids arent as dumb as you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by DizTbone View Post
    ...the FEDERAL gun-free zone law was struck down by SCOTUS.
    The original Gun-Free Schools Act was ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS because it infringed interstate commerce. It was re-enacted in 1996 (IIRC) with the addition of language that clarifies that in order to be prosecuted under the Act, it must be demonstrated by the prosecutor that the gun moved in interstate commerce prior to being confiscated on school grounds.

It is repeatedly quoted that no person has ever been prosecuted under the GFSA. Another worthless piece of gun control legislation that further infringes our right to carry. I can carry at the state capitol, but not in the school parking lot? Stupid!

C Paul Lincoln

Parking on the street solves this problem if Florida law prohibits parking on property.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Most of the leaders of that union are very anti...they likely would not lift a finger to help a member in this particular situation. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

FWIW, I am a member of that union. I am very circumspect at work.

I also suspect that, despite its legality, the handgun's presence in his vehicle violated school board policy. One can always be fired for such violations whether legal or not.
    True on all points. Teachers' unions, indeed most (if not all) unions are super liberal, thus irrational, thus anti Bill of Rights. I can't stand our local teachers' union. They seem to exist only to perpetuate their own power.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    After he was found "Legal" and charges were dropped, they had no business firing him. Being 51 years old, will never get another job teaching again, he should sue the school board. I don't promote sueing because there are way too many frivlious cases but I think he would be justified in his case.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    After he was found "Legal" and charges were dropped, they had no business firing him. Being 51 years old, will never get another job teaching again, he should sue the school board. I don't promote sueing because there are way too many frivlious cases but I think he would be justified in his case.
    What will be interesting is if the union...yes, the ones you call anti-, will go to bat for him because they exist to protect member' rights and counter abuse of power (the school board?).

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post

Like some other states, Washington state preempts municipalities, cities, and counties from enacting firearm laws that are more restrictive than state laws. But, school districts, colleges, and state agencies can still enact rules and policies that prohibit employees and students from CCW. Perhaps what is needed is a change in the laws of states that prohibits any government sub-division from enacting policies more restrictive than state law. Government agencies (including school districts) should be protecting all of our rights, including 2A, not infringing them.
    Don't forget that some municipalities will disregard state law until a higher court forces them to abide. Seattle, for example, prohibits firearms in their city parks, despite that clearly violating concealed carry laws.

At least in WA we can be armed when we pick up and drop off our kids... it's a small comfort lacking in most states.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I park my vehicle 1003 feet away from school and walk to school where I work. This is not ideal but logical. I park it right in front of the police station and lock my gun in a lockbox. Schools are notorious for being liberal and not friendly to guns. Steve48

As a public school teacher, all I can say is homeschool your kids. Public schools are not only bad at educating our kids how to be good citizens, they're also bad at educating them on anything. I mean, come on, the 3 R's? Only one actually begins with an R!

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by 45MINK View Post
    Wait A Minute How Did They Know He Had A Gun ???? What Were They Doing In His Truck ?????????
    Hello guys,
    My wife is an Assistant Principal here in that local area and briefly told me about it last night. From what she told me the teacher had a part time job to help pay the bills. Letís face it; teachers donít make the money that they should.

This teacher worked as a security guard somewhere in the local area and mentions it to another teacher. He also mentions that he had his gun in his car. AND THE REST IS HISTORY!

Point to be made here is to just keep your mouth SHUT! This other teacher obliviously felt it was their duty to TELL! Maybe this 2nd teacher didnít like the guy, who knows.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links