Can they search locked items in my personal vehicle? - Page 2

Can they search locked items in my personal vehicle?

This is a discussion on Can they search locked items in my personal vehicle? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; whether or not they can make u open the box, they can fire you see if u can find a place nearby to park....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can they search locked items in my personal vehicle?

whether or not they can make u open the box, they can fire you
    see if u can find a place nearby to park.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I am a hospital employee and have a CWP but I would not even think of carrying my gun onto hospital property while on my shift due to signage and legalese written in our handbook. The only exceptions to this are LEO's: who must display their badge(if in plainclothes) or open carry while in uniform. Apparently, Federal agents(FBI and etc) do not have to display their badges.

Failure to follow procedure will result in immediate termination. Why take the chance...?

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    You have to make a choice. There is no way I would travel to and from work without some means of protecting myself. If they feel they have a need to search my vehicle then they can find someone else to do my job.

I agree with dead eye regarding traveling to work.

If I’m not carrying a gun on me at work, I always have one in the car.

If they want to search your truck, you’re going to have to let them, or they will terminate your employment, but when they find the pistol in a lock box, I would not think they could or would say much about it. Worst thing they can do is let ya go.

I wouldn't be able to handle it is my boss came to me and told me to open my car so they could look for stolen items. I even hate it when Walmarts stops everyone as they are leaving the store around Christmas and makes me show my receipt. I am a lot of things but a thief is not one of them. I would quit on the spot. Being able to hold my head up high comes first and the rest second. I believe in at least carrying in my car while traveling to work so I would try everything in the world to park nearby somewhere. It might not be the most convenient thing but it would be the safest. Good luck!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I'd just park off property.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The point about having the local PD conduct the search is a hollow and completely idle threat to intimidate those who do not know any better. Or your contracting company has delusions of grandeur. This threat is akin to saying they will have the police give everyone a lie detector test. It is completely laughable on it's face. At the end of this sentence is the officer chewing out the person who called him for this BS. I have to wonder if whomever made that statement to you is intentionally lying or just gullible. If you consent to a search by the police or anyone else you have the right and authority to withdraw consent at any time or to limit the scope of the search in any way. Your employer may try to fire you if you give less than full consent. I agree with the above posters in talking to an attorney. Or as has also been stated, just park across the street. -Jay

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Unless you are a union employee or have a signed contract and you live in an "at will" employment state, your employer can fire you for any reason that is not protected by discrimination laws. If you come in to work with a red shirt and your boss doesn't like it, he can tell you to hit the road and you have no recourse. If he doesn't like the jaunty angle to your hard hat, buh-bye. He doesn't need a reason.

Now as far as the legalities of searching your vehicle. I think for the most part they'd need a warrant, but OPFOR brought up the point of your property rights against the lot owner's property rights. I don't know how that would work out, it probably depends on your local laws.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Probably not the legal right to open the locked box...but I suspect that they would have the right to fire you for refusing to open the box/submit to the search/violating their policy. Many things which are legal can still lead to termination. IMO, you must decide what you are willing to risk and to accept, given their conditions. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I think that about sums it up for the most part. If you are are on private property they can make you leave and not allow you to come back. Someone must have some stroke if they are able to get local PD to come do the searches. I would think if you don't comply the worst would be termination and told to leave. Then everyone would think you took the tools.

VIP Member
    My employer has the same policy. They claim that by virtue of the fact that I accepted this job I have consented to having my vehicle searched at their discretion if it is parked on company property.

The problem with that is, company policy does not trump State Law!

That does not however prohibit my company from firing me and taking the risk that I will not go in to deep debt to hire a lawyer and sue them for wrongful termination.

There in lies the crux of the matter... how important is it to you individually to have that weapon with you? It's really only up to you.

Check your State's Laws.

My choice was to not park on company property. I use a Center of Mass Gun Safe to keep my handgun in so I can be armed to and from work.

Hope that helps a little!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    My employer has the same policy. They claim that by virtue of the fact that I accepted this job I have consented to having my vehicle searched at their discretion if it is parked on company property.

The problem with that is, company policy does not trump State Law!

That does not however prohibit my company from firing me and taking the risk that I will not go in to deep debt to hire a lawyer and sue them for wrongful termination.

There in lies the crux of the matter... how important is it to you individually to have that weapon with you? It's really only up to you.

Check your State's Laws.

My choice was to not park on company property. I use a Center of Mass Gun Safe to keep my handgun in so I can be armed to and from work.

Hope that helps a little!

Most employers rely on the fact that employees generally don't know the law. I've had a manager threaten me with illegal stuff, and I told him and his boss that I knew what they could and couldn't do. That ended that line of discussion. But it started them on a path of things they could legally do to me for which I had no recourse. But I did have an ace up my sleeve and ended up getting a pretty sweet severance package.

With everything I went through the past year, I learned several things about employment law. The most important and usually misunderstood is that there are VERY FEW instances in which you can sue for wrongful termination. Most states are "at will" employment states. Meaning you can quit or your boss can fire you at any time with no liability. If you don't have a contract or are a member of a union your boss can fire you for anything that is not protected by discrimination and whistleblower laws.

Thanks alot for the responses. The hospital is not in operation, its about half way done, so technically its not a hospital yet. And I don't want to carry it at work I just want to leave it in the car. The person threating us with the searches is the head safety person, so I thought he was just trying to scare us. I also thought that the local PD wouldn't even mess with that kind of small petty stuff, let alone search 2-3 hundred cars. Being a Union worker anything after 3:00 is going to be overtime for me.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 16th, 2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    "I am completely out of ammo.......thats never happened to me before?" Burt Gummer -Tremors2-

"In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say "Stop, or I'll say stop again." Robin Williams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    The most important and usually misunderstood is that there are VERY FEW instances in which you can sue for wrongful termination. Most states are "at will" employment states. Meaning you can quit or your boss can fire you at any time with no liability. [/b]
    No wonder these companies freely throw around threats like "we can search you car"!

But I'm Union too so I really like zr271cuda's response...

Being a Union worker anything after 3:00 is going to be overtime for me.
    DAMN right!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Ya I figure if some how they can keep that many construction workers pinned in for who knows how long, while they look for a stupid pipe wrench, I will be makin more money
    "I am completely out of ammo.......thats never happened to me before?" Burt Gummer -Tremors2-

"In England, if you commit a crime, the police don't have a gun and you don't have a gun. If you commit a crime, the police will say "Stop, or I'll say stop again." Robin Williams

I all depends on what you signed when you took the job.

We really need to start pushing for what is being called "parking lot" legislation. This would prohibit an employer from banning weapons from employee's vehicles parked in their lots. Some may restrict the prohibition to licensed carry holders. This type of legislation is being discussed in several states. I know that Texas had bills introduced in both houses last session. They failed to make it to the floor for a vote.....maybe next session.....FG

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links