Can they search locked items in my personal vehicle? - Page 3

Can they search locked items in my personal vehicle?

This is a discussion on Can they search locked items in my personal vehicle? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As far as I know, Oklahoma is at the forefront of this issue. Likely the final outcome will be a standard for the rest. Lord ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can they search locked items in my personal vehicle?

As far as I know, Oklahoma is at the forefront of this issue. Likely the final outcome will be a standard for the rest. Lord knows it's long overdue. No more games.

Any searches probably wouldn't go into locked areas. But if asked you refuse to open locked areas, you can be prohibitied from driving on to th grounds.

Hey, Ramrod...what do you mean by Oklahoma being at the forefront of this issue? Does state law say that you can lock a weapon in your car regardless of company policy?

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    The company my wife works for in MI just started using K-9's to search cars and offices.
    They were issued a list of what is not permitted a few months back. The first round happened a few weeks back, she said they found a guy with EMPTY beer cans in his car, (MI has a deposit for cans and bottles), so he was going shopping after work and got busted.
    They were told if they did not agree to the searches they were fired. So you either agree or don't have a job, something with private property.
    Since there are no jobs in MI anymore she has to deal with it.

VIP Member

Tip of large iceberg here

Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    The company my wife works for in MI just started using K-9's to search cars and offices.
    They were issued a list of what is not permitted a few months back. The first round happened a few weeks back, she said they found a guy with EMPTY beer cans in his car, (MI has a deposit for cans and bottles), so he was going shopping after work and got busted.
    They were told if they did not agree to the searches they were fired. So you either agree or don't have a job, something with private property.
    Since there are no jobs in MI anymore she has to deal with it.
    Whenever this sort of thing comes up, we find out that our political system allows employers to do things to people that government is prohibited from doing. I have often wondered why, in a country where 80% of us work for others, such a lopsided situation is permitted to exist.

Be careful when you vote.

Ohio, and most states, employer can fire you for any reason. "at will employment". If they need an excuse it can be as lame as " not meeting requirments." You can then hire a lawyer and fight it, but by that time they can make up more excuses. You have the right to not work anywhere and they have the right to fire you unless it's do to age, race, color, creed, sexual prefernces... you get the picture.
    I feel for you. There was a time that I couldn't afford to not work at a place just because they where anti ccw, but not now.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trucker View Post
    Wow, sounds like such a fun place to work . . . NOT!

It's one thing if there is a justifiable reason (e.g. valuable goods stolen that day, etc.), but to just do this to make employees nervous and hate their employer is very counter-productive. Sounds like Red China or the old USSR to me.

If I found myself in that sort of environment, I'd try very hard to park elsewhere and get my resume out there ASAP!

I think the intent of original question was if they search you car can they alos search anything in it including locked boxes. Compare this to putting your drugs in a safe in your house and then saying the police can't search the safe when executing a search warrant. Most of the responses have changed this to can they search your car. I don't know the answer to that but if they have the right to search you car I can't see why having a locked box would make anything off limits unless the search warrant specifically stated what areas could be searched. So IMO the answer to the original question would be yes they can search locked boxes if searching the rest of the car. Otherwise keep your dope in a locked box and don't worry about searches.

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    Ditto. Submitting to a search is probably a condition of employment and any refusal would likely be grounds for termination?
    Also to be considered is whether you have signed a contract or employment agreement giving them authorization to conduct a search of anything" in the vehicle. Of course, this likely will be hidden in the microscopic print.

My company says "no weapons of any kind" are allowed.

Of course that's feel-good terminology, as a shoe can be a weapon (been proven in court).

At the entrance to the facility's parking lot, it says that all vehicles are subject to search.

I have had drug dealers to pull over by our driveway at home since we're fairly remote - but the place I work for doesn't care that we may need to defend ourselves AFTER we leave work. A couple of times they were in the driveway less than 50 feet from my house - walking around 2 parked cars - when I got home. Nice to know I have to keep driving due to lack of protection.

Boy I can't wait for the next state legislative session to start - one of the bills aims to extend castle doctrine to "wherever you have a legal right to be." That and other wording would allow vehicle carry pretty much regardless the company rules.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    "They" can only search your vehicle if you allow it. Personally, I wouldn't allow it, regardless of the consequences.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links